iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/)
-   -   Winnebago Tour Tips (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/winnebago-tour-tips-161008.html)

jwmaustin 08-03-2019 11:10 PM

Winnebago door wiring

3 Attachment(s)
Thank you for that Jesse. It turns out that, in fact, the contacts on the door are the problem - here are the pictures.

You can see that the contact plate uses brass pins with a post on the back thatís retained by a plastic nut and then attaches to the wire connector. The plastic nut is breakable and three out of four were broken. If you can contact Winnebago and reach an engineer for them suggest they use nylon not the plastic that theyíre using. Thatís what I will fix it with.

As I pointed out earlier, why they donít put the magnetic sensor switch on the door frame and just put a magnet in the door is not clear. The complex approach of using the contact pins in the door and the sensor switch in the door just as a point of failure. If I have too much trouble with their system thatís how Iíll redesign it.

If you actually have an engineer in contact at WGO then, as someone working with Cummins engineering, Iíd be interested in talking about some of these ideas.

Thanks
Bill

Jbmsr 08-04-2019 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwmaustin (Post 4894532)
Thank you for that Jesse. It turns out that, in fact, the contacts on the door are the problem - here are the pictures.

You can see that the contact plate uses brass pins with a post on the back thatís retained by a plastic nut and then attaches to the wire connector. The plastic nut is breakable and three out of four were broken. If you can contact Winnebago and reach an engineer for them suggest they use nylon not the plastic that theyíre using. Thatís what I will fix it with.

As I pointed out earlier, why they donít put the magnetic sensor switch on the door frame and just put a magnet in the door is not clear. The complex approach of using the contact pins in the door and the sensor switch in the door just as a point of failure. If I have too much trouble with their system thatís how Iíll redesign it.

If you actually have an engineer in contact at WGO then, as someone working with Cummins engineering, Iíd be interested in talking about some of these ideas.

Thanks

Bill

Bill
Your post will help many. Nice pictures. I will pass your info on.
Thanks
Jesse

loydt 08-05-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audvid1 (Post 4893438)
I had to replace mine in the first year and they sent just the lower part. It was a little scary to replace, but it is in just by position of glass, you have to remove a support, then fold the window way up and then it comes out of track. Took a bit of persuasion but did come out and go back in and has been good since

Ok thanks.

Did you order just the lower part thru Winnebago or?

Jbmsr 08-07-2019 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loydt (Post 4896386)
Ok thanks.

Did you order just the lower part thru Winnebago or?

I would pull the pane out and take it to a auto glass company and have them cut one

May be able to call a local auto glass company and have them come to you and replace the pane.

I called Lichtsinn and they say that window is discontinued. He does have the newer single pane no frame style that will fit but itís over $1000.00.

I called SE-GI and couldnít get them on the phone.

I will keep trying.

Jesse

Jbmsr 08-14-2019 11:08 AM

My coach seemed to bottom out easily in the front when new. Any small pot hole and we heard a loud bang.
When we took it to Freightliner in Gafney SC. for service they also adjusted the ride height which they said it needed.
I asked the tech if it was his coach what would he have done to upgrade the ride.
He explained that the chassis was built with two ride hight valves in the rear (one on each side) and one in the front (which serviced both sides at once). He suggested to moving one ride height valve from the rear to the front. I asked ďwhy take one off? Why not just add one and then have four? He explained that it would cause conflict and should not be done.
I had him do the upgrade and I am very pleased with the new ride. Now when the coach goes into a turn at any speed the response is quick. Instead of it taking a curve and leaning, it raises into the turn. It feels much more stable and safe.
Jesse

XBoater 08-14-2019 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbmsr (Post 4910128)
My coach seemed to bottom out easily in the front when new. Any small pot hole and we heard a loud bang.
When we took it to Freightliner in Gafney SC. for service they also adjusted the ride height which they said it needed.
I asked the tech if it was his coach what would he have done to upgrade the ride.
He explained that the chassis was built with two ride hight valves in the rear (one on each side) and one in the front (which serviced both sides at once). He suggested to moving one ride height valve from the rear to the front. I asked ďwhy take one off? Why not just add one and then have four? He explained that it would cause conflict and should not be done.
I had him do the upgrade and I am very pleased with the new ride. Now when the coach goes into a turn at any speed the response is quick. Instead of it taking a curve and leaning, it raises into the turn. It feels much more stable and safe.
Jesse

Interesting, does your Tour have the independent front suspension or solid axle?

Jbmsr 08-14-2019 06:24 PM

2013 Tour tips

Quote:

Originally Posted by XBoater (Post 4910248)
Interesting, does your Tour have the independent front suspension or solid axle?

Yes it does has Independent front suspension.
Jesse

Gordon Dewald 08-15-2019 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbmsr (Post 4910128)
He explained that the chassis was built with two ride hight valves in the rear (one on each side) and one in the front (which serviced both sides at once). He suggested to moving one ride height valve from the rear to the front. I asked “why take one off? Why not just add one and then have four? He explained that it would cause conflict and should not be done.
Jesse

I wonder what that does to the weight on the front tire that is keeping the coach level during the turn? Centrifugal forces could be significant??

While at Gaffney they adjusted the ride height on our coach. Said it was low front (3/4)and back (1/2). The change threw the corner weights off on the drive and tag axle so I suspect the rears were at different heights before the adjustment.

After the correction the drive is 1000 lbs heavy on the left and the tag is 990 lbs heavy on the right. Prior each of the axles were within 88 (max) lbs side to side and the total on each side was 86 lbs. Considering accuracy of the scales there may be a few lbs error but it was still close.

Jbmsr 08-15-2019 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald (Post 4911401)
I wonder what that does to the weight on the front tire that is keeping the coach level during the turn? Centrifugal forces could be significant??

While at Gaffney they adjusted the ride height on our coach. Said it was low front (3/4)and back (1/2). The change threw the corner weights off on the drive and tag axle so I suspect the rears were at different heights before the adjustment.

After the correction the drive is 1000 lbs heavy on the left and the tag is 990 lbs heavy on the right. Prior each of the axles were within 88 (max) lbs side to side and the total on each side was 86 lbs. Considering accuracy of the scales there may be a few lbs error but it was still close.

Gordon
I am not a professional by any means. That said first here is my take on it.
I donít believe that the centrifugal force or the speed into curve with one ride hight valve or two would change the tire force much. In fact I believe with the independent valve in the front the overall weight of the coach is distributed more evenly between all corners due to the coach never leaning into the curve. It handles better and feels safer.
Sure sounds to me that the tag is taking on too much weight which can transfer weight to the front. The coach canít weigh more in total due to a ride hight adjustment. I would point this out to them and have them re-check the tag and ride hight.
Jesse

Gordon Dewald 08-16-2019 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbmsr (Post 4912316)
Gordon
I am not a professional by any means. That said first here is my take on it.
I don’t believe that the centrifugal force or the speed into curve with one ride hight valve or two would change the tire force much. In fact I believe with the independent valve in the front the overall weight of the coach is distributed more evenly between all corners due to the coach never leaning into the curve. It handles better and feels safer.
Sure sounds to me that the tag is taking on too much weight which can transfer weight to the front. The coach can’t weigh more in total due to a ride hight adjustment. I would point this out to them and have them re-check the tag and ride hight.
Jesse

My thinking is that in order for the coach to lean some force has to act on it. With the valves in the back the side that is low is inflated and acts on the tire(s) under it. In the back you are working on a set of duals. In the front there is a single tire.

My issue.
The tag weight is good (7600). The front is good (13,993 was 14198 and is 10 lbs difference side to side).The coach weight side to side before was 86 lbs and after is 66 lbs. Note: the numbers are not as precise as they seem as they were measured in KG and converted to lbs.

The numbers of the left side of the drive being 1000 lbs heavier than the right and the opposite side of the tag (right) being 990 lbs heavier than the left came from the corner weights done by Gaffney. They say the difference is within specs.

They have changed the tag valve. The valve is not adjustable and I do not think it is the problem. As they were running late I believe they simply set the ride height exactly to specifications and did not check the corner weights or if they did thought the difference was within their allowable variation. The valve change has brought the differences to around 500 lbs.

Freightliner dealers do not have corner weight scales for the most part and getting back to Gaffney is a very long drive. Since my main concern is inflating the tires to the chart based on the highest reading adds quite a bit more air.

The issue I believe is setting the ride height. The ride height settings allow a small variation. It would not take much to adjust but is low on the priority list right now.

Jbmsr 08-20-2019 07:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald (Post 4912961)
My thinking is that in order for the coach to lean some force has to act on it. With the valves in the back the side that is low is inflated and acts on the tire(s) under it. In the back you are working on a set of duals. In the front there is a single tire.

My issue.
The tag weight is good (7600). The front is good (13,993 was 14198 and is 10 lbs difference side to side).The coach weight side to side before was 86 lbs and after is 66 lbs. Note: the numbers are not as precise as they seem as they were measured in KG and converted to lbs.

The numbers of the left side of the drive being 1000 lbs heavier than the right and the opposite side of the tag (right) being 990 lbs heavier than the left came from the corner weights done by Gaffney. They say the difference is within specs.

They have changed the tag valve. The valve is not adjustable and I do not think it is the problem. As they were running late I believe they simply set the ride height exactly to specifications and did not check the corner weights or if they did thought the difference was within their allowable variation. The valve change has brought the differences to around 500 lbs.

Freightliner dealers do not have corner weight scales for the most part and getting back to Gaffney is a very long drive. Since my main concern is inflating the tires to the chart based on the highest reading adds quite a bit more air.

The issue I believe is setting the ride height. The ride height settings allow a small variation. It would not take much to adjust but is low on the priority list right now.

Ride height adjustment
https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/chassi...int_manual.pdfAttachment 257517
Jesse

loydt 08-29-2019 08:05 AM

Couple of recent things I have noticed.

The lights on the inside entry steps no longer work. They used to come on when I turned the porch light on. Everything else does, just not those 2 lights. Odd that the bulbs would have both burned out at the same time?

On my large full wall slide, it squeals awful when I am retracting it. I have lubed every part I can see on the exterior mechanisms and it still does it. Has anybody else had issues with this?

Electra 225 08-30-2019 11:55 PM

Regarding the stepwell lights....they're nothing more than a glass fuse believe it or not. Easy to see if they are burned out.

Wayne M 08-31-2019 09:00 PM

I had a step well light out. Put in a new bulb and it still didn't work. Pulled the fixture out and saw some slightly charred wiring at the fixture. Called Lchtsinn RV and got a new fixture.

Pull the fixture out and check the back side for wiring. Use a VOM and see if there is 12 volts there when you turn on the switch. If not, the problem is somewhere in the line.