iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/)
-   -   Winnebago Tour Tips (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/winnebago-tour-tips-161008.html)

Wayne M 11-18-2019 10:00 PM

Well, not exactly Central IN, but if you don't mind traveling a little bit try Master Tech RV in Elkhart IN. They will let you stay in your RV at night.

Jbmsr 11-20-2019 07:44 PM

Winnebago Tour Tips

4 Attachment(s)
Joe
The self tapping screws that attach your mechanism to the coach pulled out, most likely because they were over tightened or some missed metal framing center.
Attachment 267499
Using the slide in this condition could cause your mechanism to self destruct.
Open the slide 90% then remove the plastic trim by pulling out and to the right at the bottom outer edge and work your way up. The trim is attached to the grooved metal rail by being molded like a C channel, so by opening the C slightly it will pull off. I have found that once I get it started I can pull down and out at the same time it will come completely off without climbing a ladder. If it is cool out I would slightly warm up the complete plastic trim with a blow dryer before removing it.
I would then remove all of the screws that are even slightly retracted and replace them with new like kind self tapping screws. I would pre drill holes in the mechanism rail between each of the other holes. Doing this will allow the the self tapping screw to pull into the coach beam and pull the mechanism back in easily.
I would start them all first and and try to bring them all somewhat together.
Be sure to know where the wall beam is so that you will penetrate the center. The wall beam is square tubing, so your screw will not penetrate properly and hold well at the edges.
Attachment 267502
I would want to try to repair where the screws pushed out leaving indentations in the plastic trim.
Attachment 267501
I would do this by laying the trim down on a flat surface on a towel and slowly warming the back center with a blow dryer. You can then turn it over and use the ball handle of a screw driver with a thin cotton cloth on the paint to gently push the plastic back into the original form.
When installing the plastic trim, hook the inner C first then the right side will pop on easily.
I noticed that your rubber molding is detached. 3M Black Super Weatherstrip adhesive is amazing! Put a thin coat on both surfaces, let tack a bit then stick in place. It will stay.
Attachment 267500
Call me any time if you have questions.
Jesse

wingnut60 11-29-2019 12:56 PM

Man, have just finished working thru these 940 posts, reason being have started looking at a 42QD as possible replacement for our DRV fiver. Tons of info here, like going thru the Winnie Bible...thanks to all, especially Jessie, for all the effort put into helping others.

Jbmsr 11-29-2019 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingnut60 (Post 5057026)
Man, have just finished working thru these 940 posts, reason being have started looking at a 42QD as possible replacement for our DRV fiver. Tons of info here, like going thru the Winnie Bible...thanks to all, especially Jessie, for all the effort put into helping others.

Welcome wingnut60!

I have have learned a lot from many kind people on IRV2 and I find it very rewarding helping where I can. Thank you for the kind words!
Jesse

loydt 12-02-2019 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbmsr (Post 5038642)
Loyd
I replaced my front marker lights with LED lights. They screw off counter clockwise. Most likely replacing the water lodged light will correct the problem.
Jesse

Welp, it didn't. I have water pouring down on my dash from somewhere on that front cap. I hope my windshield hasn't started leaking.

I am going to have to schedule a service visit somewhere to get the coach pressurized and checked for leaks.

boyland 12-02-2019 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbmsr (Post 5007327)
Our Tour at first had too much wind and road noise in the front.

Road noise:
Gafney Freightliner set the ride height and the tag axle pressure it took much weight off of the front axle. It handled better and had way less road noise.

Wind noise:
I had 2 issues.
The entry door and the drivers window. The wind noise radiated and seemed to be coming from everywhere.
I used a blow dryer on cool/high and wind tested all areas. The small weep hole at the bottom of the drivers window designed to defog the window. I took the cover off and sealed it with bronze caulking. No wind noise or fog there since.
My entry door was not sealing at the top. The door was not contoured to the door frame correctly. I had to close the door on a cloth wrapped 2x4 at mid height, just below the window. Then stand on a pickup tail gate to safely push on the upper portion of the door to bend it in (I ran this by Winnebago first and they actually advised to do it) . I did this 4 times stopping to inspect the outer door skin condition and the upper door sealing condition.
Each time it improved. I also adjusted the door striker so that the door would close tighter.
The door has two closed positions, one click is for quiet shuts at a campground and the second click is for a complete seal for travel which takes a harder close. As long as we remember to briskly close the door before travel we have zero wind noise. Night and day difference.

Jesse

Jesse love your posts just recently bought a 2013 Journey i also have excessive wind noise. I am curious if you would mind taking a picture of what you sealed on the drivers side i think for the most part the bones are a lot the same on these units but i am curious if i am looking at the same thing as you.

Jbmsr 12-02-2019 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loydt (Post 5060136)
Welp, it didn't. I have water pouring down on my dash from somewhere on that front cap. I hope my windshield hasn't started leaking.

I am going to have to schedule a service visit somewhere to get the coach pressurized and checked for leaks.

Loyd
I would try to replicate the leak using a water hose. I would think it would be a seal between the fiberglass cap and one if the light sockets. The fact that one of your lights was waterlogged could be because of an impact which cloud have also broken the seal.
I donít believe it is the windshield.
Jesse

Jbmsr 12-02-2019 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boyland (Post 5060457)
Jesse love your posts just recently bought a 2013 Journey i also have excessive wind noise. I am curious if you would mind taking a picture of what you sealed on the drivers side i think for the most part the bones are a lot the same on these units but i am curious if i am looking at the same thing as you.

Boyland
Yup, same bones. I will shoot you a pic soon.
Jesse

nova 42qd 12-03-2019 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbmsr (Post 5060954)
Loyd
I would try to replicate the leak using a water hose. I would think it would be a seal between the fiberglass cap and one if the light sockets. The fact that one of your lights was waterlogged could be because of an impact which cloud have also broken the seal.
I donít believe it is the windshield.
Jesse

Has your windshield ever been replaced? If so I bet it wasn't sealed properly. That happened to me.

loydt 12-03-2019 08:55 AM

The windshield has not been replaced.

I am thinking the leak is coming from somewhere else because it does not leak when sitting still, only when I drive it. So that means the water is getting in and then collecting until the coach has movement, then running out on the dash.

Crawling around on the roof, I did not see anything that really stood out. I did notice that on the curb side there is a fiberglass "cap" that runs the length of the edge of the coach. Where it terminates right above the drip rail, the caulking has come loose on a good bit of it.

Its hard to do a lot of re-caulking right now with the temps in the low 50s. I have a local guy that has a nice, heated bay that I will take it to next Wed. Hopefully there we can get it resolved.

Jbmsr 12-03-2019 06:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by boyland (Post 5060457)

Attachment 268572
boyland
I took the plastic cap off and sealed with black satin calking. No negative effects. Stoped the wind noise.

Jesse

Ron Postma 12-03-2019 07:02 PM

Be careful plugging off that vent hole. I did that while I ordered the proper cover. When I removed the tape I covered it up with water poured out for quite a while. I put on the proper cover then stuffed a cotton ball inside. This reduced the noise and allowed the water to escape.

boyland 12-03-2019 08:34 PM

I wondered if that was weep holes. 2 of three on mine have covers I ordered more covers but I was concerned about covering with caulk because of retaining water.

I will experiment with a solution that accommodates both blocking wind and allow water to escape

boyland 12-04-2019 11:40 AM

Well I was taking the motorhome to get the tires balanced today so i pulled off the 2 covers and just stuck black tape over them.

Yep that's the noise kind of funny one of the pieces started to come off and wow the wind noise increase was incredibile.

Anyways know what i need to do i will try and come up with a solutions i like the cotton ball idea but was thinking more of a foam type product that is black.
Quote:

Originally Posted by boyland (Post 5062292)
I wondered if that was weep holes. 2 of three on mine have covers I ordered more covers but I was concerned about covering with caulk because of retaining water.

I will experiment with a solution that accommodates both blocking wind and allow water to escape