iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Newmar Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   Replace cooling unit with Amish unit (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/replace-cooling-unit-with-amish-unit-161223.html)

Keith727 05-14-2013 08:10 AM

Replace cooling unit with Amish unit

Does anyone know where I can get a Amish cooling unit installed in my norcold 1200 refridgerator in Ok. or north Tx?:Thanx:

Keith
2005 DSDP 3815

"007" 05-14-2013 03:26 PM

If no one has a answer, I would look for a Mobil RV Repairman and ask if he has done the change we have one in our area that has done a few.
Many owners have done it themselves also.

JC2 05-14-2013 05:09 PM

I would give David Force a call at the Amish Cooling Unit Warehouse in Memphis,Tn , tell him what you want to do and where you are located. He might know of someone in the OK or northerly Tx area that could do the job. You could also order from him on the website and have the unit shipped directly to whomever will do the installation. We had the Amish install done about (2) months ago on our Dometic model NDR1062 and had it shipped directly to Cummins-Onan in Kansas City as they have done other installs. Ours took about 3 1/2hrs but the 1200 series NoCold might run 1-2 hrs longer. You will find that Mr Force is very knowledgeable and helpful in determining what you will need.

1. Make sure that you get an air baffle for your unit as it is very important in assuring the upward air flow in properly directed towards the cooling units condenser. They are about $17.50.
2. You might have (2) approximately 4 inch cooling fans which are controlled by a thermal disc mounted on top of the condenser. I would seriously consider replacing these with (2) new ones from Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc as their prices are noticeably cheaper. I would also recommend controlling the fans with an manual on/off toggle switch mounted inside a cabinet maybe next to the fridge. The thermal disc do have a tendency to go out and would require pulling the fridge to replace. One switch for each fan.
3. Make sure that the lp burner for the fridge is clean and in good shape, if not replace.
4. Make sure the electrical element for the fridge is good also.

RV Cooling Unit Warehouse

Keith727 05-14-2013 07:55 PM

Amish cooling unit

Thanks for the info. I will check both reply out.

Keith
2005 DSDP 3815

jlfbatonrg 05-14-2013 08:06 PM

David Force provides excellent instructions on how to remove the older unit and install the new one.

MJFZ 05-14-2013 08:18 PM

I just did this job on my brothers 2005 Winnebago Vectra. It required both of us, this is not a one person job. Took us about 8 hours working non stop. If you do the job yourself, make sure you label all your wires before you disconnect them. Pay close attention to how the instructions have you apply the foam sealant. David Force can sell you new fans along with a new thermal switch. After eight years the fans needed to be replaced.

Mike

DGBPokes 05-14-2013 08:45 PM

David Force gave me the name of three Oklahoma "authorized installers" when I had warranty problems