iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   MH generator powering stick house in emergency... (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/mh-generator-powering-stick-house-in-emergency-161243.html)

Maladjusted 05-14-2013 01:11 PM

MH generator powering stick house in emergency...

Hi all,

I don't think this is the right forum for this, but I couldn't figure out where it should go.

5 years ago when I moved to VA, I set my house up with a transfer switch and a Generac XP8000E portable gen that runs on gas / LP. (we were losing power fairly regularly).

Now with my new DP MH... I have an ONAN QD8000. The MH lives at my house parked right next to the transfer switch port.

Is there a way (relatively easy)to wire a 50 amp output from the Gen so I can power my house in an emergency?

I'd love to get the garage space back and sell the Generac!

Thanks in advance
Mal (Mods... sorry if this is in the wrong forum)

Jim_HiTek 05-14-2013 01:23 PM

We're only talking about four wires so any setup will be 'relatively' easy...at least to those of us who have worked with electrical all our lives.

I have a 30Amp rig. In my genset compartment, there is a 4-square box where the output of the genset is routed to the RV's wiring...which goes to the transfer switch. It would be easy to mount another box, or a box extension, and add a plug in for an extension cable.

Your rig may have the same type of box in your genset compartment. Any competent electrically handy person should be able to handle it.

Algoma 05-14-2013 01:34 PM

I believe your Generac provides 240v output, just like your house. The Onan only provides 120v so you will have problems with your stove, A/C drier etc. I have used my generator (QD6000) to power fridge, TV, lights etc. but only via an extension cord.

vsheetz 05-14-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Algoma (Post 1567582)
I believe your Generac provides 240v output, just like your house. The Onan only provides 120v so you will have problems with your stove, A/C drier etc. I have used my generator (QD6000) to power fridge, TV, lights etc. but only via an extension cord.

Yup.

So I opted to buy a used 240v portable genny via Craigslist and connect via an genny inlet. Else, just move into the MH should the need arise.

milasman 05-14-2013 03:16 PM

What house is wire 240v? House panels are 2 bus bars of 120v each. Ahh, but I see what you are saying, you need 120v 180 out of phase to create 240v for larger amp draw items.

Ray,IN 05-14-2013 10:53 PM

It will work, just remember to open all 220VAC breakers in the house electrical panel first, otherwise you will likely ruin some expensive appliances. I run my house lighting and furnace blower with a 3000W portable genset. It keeps me in practice with load management too.