iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Help! Expert Advice Needed, Cross-Eyed Looking At Coaches (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/help-expert-advice-needed-cross-eyed-looking-at-coaches-162346.html)

usinvestment 05-24-2013 04:35 PM

Help! Expert Advice Needed, Cross-Eyed Looking At Coaches

With floor plans being equal, the gas or DP out of the equation. Taking the salesman and manufacturer pitch out of the equation.

. Fit and Finish
. Warranty
. Customer Service
. Coach Reliability
. 31-33 Ft length
. Odds of getting a good coach the first time

What manufacturers would make the top two to three to look at? I've looked at them all, and the lines are getting real blurry.

Small family of three. Plan to take short trips and hopefully several longer trips each year. I'd like to do more research and make a buy next year sometime. I know that sounds a ways out, but that's the way I work with major purchases.

After staring at coaches and listening to the sales and manufacturers for weeks, it would be nice to receive expert feedback from the people that actually use these coaches. Your input would be greatly appreciated.:bow:

macantic 05-24-2013 04:53 PM

if you want top of the line and fit and finish,have you looked at the "Prevost" or the "Newell" Coaches?

usinvestment 05-24-2013 05:12 PM

Looking to stay in the 31-33 ft range.

TXiceman 05-24-2013 05:19 PM

I'd look at Allegro (Tiffin). My personal preference is to avoid Thor (fit and finish, attention to detail)

Ken

Kasebeau2 05-24-2013 05:23 PM

look at a dynamax isata 282, stay with a 06-05 MY, cost around $50kish. They are hard to find. Twin beds, compact, fold out couch, build solid.

CampDaven 05-24-2013 05:27 PM

Here are a couple of threads that may provide some perspective.
There are so many types/styles to choose from!

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/think...-c-160933.html

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/rese...as-160213.html

cj23andout 05-24-2013 05:31 PM

We started close to two years out.

I recommend going to RV shows. Make sure it's a large RV show that is put on by someone other than just a single dealer.

We went to Hershey and Pittsburgh. I see you are out west. I'm sure they have similar shows out there. They are usually in the winter.

Look out for a dealer-sponsored RV show. They are nothing more than a glorified sales event, like a tent sale. Go to a show that has multiple dealers and preferably factory reps there. Walk through all the brands.

We had a check list and rated all the bunkhouses. That came in handy after the fact. We were able to eliminate some and went to another show to follow up with our short list.

Tom-NC 05-24-2013 05:46 PM

Hi,

Well I guess I'll put my 2 cents in and I would Recommend a Winnebago Adventurer 33' Gas motorhome. It has 2 Slides and sleeps six. We have an 04 Adventurer but know of an 05 Winnebago Adventurer 33' that is for sale. It is on a Workhorse Chassis with 8.1l engine and Alison Transmission.

My coach has 53k on it and we love it so much so we took it to AK and back and stayed in it for 3 months.

If you want to check out Winnebago Motorhomes go to Winnebago Industries. They have brochures, floor plans and specs for older units and new ones too.

Good Luck! :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

usinvestment 05-24-2013 06:38 PM

Thanks, we plan to go to a show the last weekend of May. I've purchased the ratings book on RV.org. With the 2014 models coming out it's always tempting to chase the new changes. The ratings book is somewhat helpful, but adds additional confusion. I haven't found the sweet spot of feeling good about any of the manufacturers. I spent many years in the boating industry and the same thing was true there also.

336muffin 05-24-2013 06:41 PM

Make a list of what you want, go by the list.

Rusty years 05-24-2013 08:33 PM

Look for mfgs still in business. I've heard excellent reports on Tiffin in Red Bay, Al. The owner stands behind his products pretty much forever from what I hear. There's a lot of buzz about how new rigs can spend half the first year in the shop. When you do pick one, be sure to pay an inspector to go over it even if it's new. If you can do the inspection thoroughly all the better. I would expect more of the upper end units.

alv3769 05-25-2013 06:15 AM

i would recommend tiffin also. i had a winnibago and it had a very tinny sound going down the road, they put their coachs on too small a chassis, and their electrical management system was terrible. customer service with the winny was nowhere as good as with the tiffin either.

GaryKD 05-25-2013 06:46 AM

Hi usinvestment,
Consider adding two important items to your list.
1. Will the coach tow the vehicle you want to tow.
2. Will the coach carry all the fluids, all your stuff and all of you.

Next, look at a coach in three floor plan setups.
1. Travel (slides in) Can you get to what you want to get to with the slides in. Can your family travel with the slides in?
2. Campsite - Slides out and furniture set up.
3. Sleeping - All furniture turned onto a bed. Does this work for your family?

Both these questions are weight calculations that must be made. A very few can be estimated. You'll be surprised which brands will fall off the list.

Based on the OP, make sure the weights are okay and that coach can be considered. Based on the information in the OP, let the wife decide. Really, after the first year, the coach is yours. They all work, your usage will be low. If the wife is happy,,,,,, you know the rest.

"007" 05-25-2013 07:23 AM

Welcome to irv2.
The Newmar Bay Star may be in your range small to larger floor plans are available.
Many options, full wall slide, rear window for a couple.
The floor plan is what most are satisfied with and people buy.
Good luck in your quest.