iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Is this just silly? Looking for advice... (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/is-this-just-silly-looking-for-advice-164533.html)

The Gkreuz's 06-12-2013 06:59 AM

Is this just silly? Looking for advice...

We purchased a 2013 Keystone Hideout TT a couple months ago based on our tow capability and to decide if we would even enjoy this whole "camping thing". Found out that we LOVE it and ended up purchasing a 2005 F250 diesel (a little backwards :blush:) so now we have better towing ability and are thinking about trading in for a fifth wheel. We found a 2010 Flagstaff 8526rlws that appears to be in good condition. We are looking for input as to whether this is just a silly idea to trade a new TT for a slightly used 5er. Also, if we should decide to do this, are there any pointers for things we need to look at before purchasing a used rig. Please help!

450Donn 06-12-2013 07:12 AM

Silly? That all depends on how much of a bath you are willing to take on the deal. Personally I think you should sit where you are for a couple of years. That will give you a chance to see what you like and dislike and where your future looks like as far as RV's.
With a 3/4 ton truck you want to keep any fifth wheels GVWR under about 10,000 pounds. The biggest hurdle that has to be overcome when towing a fiver is pin weight. At about 20% of a trailers actual weight the load placed in the bed of a pickup towing a fiver can be substantial. And the available payload that most 3/4 ton diesel trucks have is not very much.

trackman 06-12-2013 07:16 AM

You are certainly a Dealers dream. Jokes aside Fifth Wheel TT is the way to go. More room and great towing experience. Floor plans are much more 'HOMEY". Compare quality of Manufactuers not price.

J Birder 06-12-2013 07:20 AM

The 5er will be much nicer to pull and, being taller, will have a lot more external storage space. The downside to the extra height is that fuel economy suffers.

All in all, it could be a good tradeoff. It doesn't seem silly to me. I'll leave the buying tips to those with more experience at it.

Joel

Gemstone 06-12-2013 07:33 AM

"We purchased a 2013 Keystone Hideout TT a couple months ago:...

I'd suggestwaiting at least a season to figure out what you like and don't like about your current rigthen start your shopping trip...you'll at least know what to look for. In the mean time spend the time reading this forum, and other RV forums to get a feel of what really matters in the construction of RV's...learn to look past the glitz and glamor to the running gear, and construction methods/materials. Visit with fellow campers, about their rig....ask lots of questions.

Regards
Gemstone

menoble 06-12-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 450Donn (Post 1601678)
Silly? That all depends on how much of a bath you are willing to take on the deal. Personally I think you should sit where you are for a couple of years. That will give you a chance to see what you like and dislike and where your future looks like as far as RV's.
With a 3/4 ton truck you want to keep any fifth wheels GVWR under about 10,000 pounds. The biggest hurdle that has to be overcome when towing a fiver is pin weight. At about 20% of a trailers actual weight the load placed in the bed of a pickup towing a fiver can be substantial. And the available payload that most 3/4 ton diesel trucks have is not very much.

I agree, find out exactly what your 'needs' are. I like my FW because we travel long distances and it pulls like a dream, plus the square footage is nice after a few days of togetherness. We also take it weekend 'camping' a lot and could get by with a much smaller unit, since we're outside the majority of the time.

RVThere 06-12-2013 07:59 AM

Also keep a eye on that 6.0 Ford diesel. Without real good maintenance, that is the most UN-reliable engine Ford ever made. The web is full of horror stories but also fixes.

PyrateSilly 06-12-2013 08:13 AM

I would suggest the same thing. Camp some more and make a list of wants and do not wants. That will help you in a few months or more make a more informed decision so that you are not doing this again in less than a year.

JohnRR 06-12-2013 09:48 AM

:welcome:3

MSHappyCampers 06-12-2013 11:32 AM

Hi folks! Welcome to IRV2 and the wonderful world of RV'ing! We're sure glad you joined us! :dance:

I personally would never buy a TT. We pulled a 5er for 10 years before going to the MH last year. The 5er was completely stable on the road at just about any speed. I've seen too many videos of TT fishtailing and rolling. I just don't want to take that chance! JMHO

I would suggest that you click on "RV Forums" at the top, then "Travel Trailer Discussions" to search and post questions. You will get much better results because not many folks hang out here in the Welcome area.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless! :thumb::D

Gary RVRoamer 06-12-2013 03:20 PM

Trading now is premature, not to mention horrendously expensive. Not much can be done about the monetary loss if you trade in the next couple years, but you can make sure you get what you really want this time. And that means gaining more experience. So far you have discovered just the first round of things you really needed/wanted. There are more yet to come!

Medico 06-12-2013 03:59 PM

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...298df81aed.gif Welcome and glad to meet you!

SarahW 06-12-2013 04:25 PM

Howdy and welcome!! :wavey: We all totally understand, so no need to feel silly!! I agree with the others...take it slow. There will always be something else on your wish list, so give it a little time and decide pretty much exactly what you want. (And of course, if you are losing sleep over that 5er and can afford it...why not?? :D)

Bruce C 06-12-2013 04:30 PM

:welcome:from NH.

oldbeek 06-12-2013 11:20 PM

The 6.0 diesel has problems. Go to Bulletproof diesel.com to find parts that will solve the 6.0 problems. I tow a 12,000lb gvw 5r. My total weight is 17,800 lb. nothing is overloaded. Have towed 77,000 miles with this rig. That said: Welcome! Lots of the free advise you get here is worth just what you pay for it.

JohnBoyToo 06-13-2013 08:26 AM

funny - had two of the 6.ohs as some call them and both performed flawlessly until I traded them in @ 120k+ miles....

although we LOVE the new crew cab, still miss the Excursions on occasion (the dog especially misses the cavernous back area !)

The Gkreuz's 06-13-2013 10:56 AM

Thank you for all of the advice! I think everyone confirmed what we knew in the back of our minds, but it is just so hard to see all of the things that we want ("need") and know that we just need to wait. Living in a world of instant gratification seems to bleed into most every aspect of life...and this is obviously no exception. Someone told us when we were purchasing "buy what you want the first time around". However, that's just the thing...you don't know on your first time what exactly you want/need and our towing capability was not there. We have learned so much on this site - I just wish I would have known about it before we took the plunge.

As for the truck, it is temporary, and hopefully will not give us any problems. We heard that they have had some issues, but we are hoping with good maintenance, it will give us a few good years. It has done well so far, and certainly better than our previous tow vehicle, so keeping our fingers crossed.

NRR 06-13-2013 09:02 PM

My 2002 6.0 was a good engine after Ford reprogrammed it many times. I had an F250 SD crew cab. Itís bed payload was only 1500lbs. The 5vers I wanted had more pin weight than that. Keep that thought in mind.

The Gkreuz's 07-10-2013 09:19 AM

Update

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahW (Post 1602184)
Howdy and welcome!! :wavey: We all totally understand, so no need to feel silly!! I agree with the others...take it slow. There will always be something else on your wish list, so give it a little time and decide pretty much exactly what you want. (And of course, if you are losing sleep over that 5er and can afford it...why not?? :D)

We just couldn't stand it any longer...we tried to "take it slow" but were "losing sleep over that 5er" and had to get it. :blush: Although we did take a little loss, we feel we got a good deal, and best of all, we are SO happy with our new 5er that we don't feel compelled to keep looking at what we would like to have (for now anyway). I'm sure there will be other things that make it to our wish list as time passes, but for now we are satisfied (a feeling we never quite had with the TT).

Fl_Richard 07-10-2013 02:45 PM

Wow nice setup!

Now that you have jumped in with both feet I'm sure you'll have many joyful trips enjoying your new roomy rig!

Have fun and be safe out there!