iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   New Member Check-In (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/)
-   -   New Member looking for a Class A (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/new-member-looking-for-a-class-a-166308.html)

smalinky 06-26-2013 09:33 AM

New Member looking for a Class A

I am about to retire in 3 years and I am looking for a Diesel Class A in the 30 to 34 foot length. What I am looking for is information on the best built rigs in this class. I do not necessarily want to buy the best just the best built from a safety and construction point of view.

I want to travel, hunt and fish tow a boat and a jeep Cherokee but not at the same time. The weight of the boat about 4K and the Jeep 3K.

danes-on-tour 06-26-2013 09:46 AM

:welcome:

Have a look at this site.

On this list I personally would look at products from Tiffin and Newmar, but it's all down to personal preference. Regardless of which Class A you decide on, you will always have a certain amount of repairs and maintenance. If you are into preventive maintenance you may "escape" a bit lighter on the repairs.

Also - I suppose it all depends on how much money you want to spend.

Best of luck :thumb:

CLIFFTALL 06-26-2013 09:53 AM

Welcome to irv2

Cliff

Medico 06-26-2013 11:29 AM

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...298df81aed.gif Welcome and glad to meet you!

SarahW 06-26-2013 01:16 PM

Howdy and welcome! :wavey: Go to a few RV dealers and start looking to see what you like. When you get the field narrowed, post any questions you have and we'll try to help. Have fun!

Bruce C 06-26-2013 01:50 PM

:welcome:from NH.

JohnRR 06-26-2013 04:56 PM

Clayobx 06-26-2013 07:44 PM

There are a multitude of suggestions and opinions you will find here with over 100K members. Not knowing what your budget is requires more information. We, DW are slanted and have enjoyed the QC of Fleetwood MH for many years. Their base continues to expand placing them in the position of offering great engineering and affordable price points. Many will agree to disagree! JMHO! :dance:

smalinky 06-27-2013 08:49 AM

Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by smalinky (Post 1619547)
I am about to retire in 3 years and I am looking for a Diesel Class A in the 30 to 34 foot length. What I am looking for is information on the best built rigs in this class. I do not necessarily want to buy the best just the best built from a safety and construction point of view.

I want to travel, hunt and fish tow a boat and a jeep Cherokee but not at the same time. The weight of the boat about 4K and the Jeep 3K.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I have started the looking process but I find that I do not know what I am looking at. Sure the floor plan looks great and some are better than others. My biggest concern is the chassis. I want to make sure that I get a solid platform that every thing is built on. So far I have found truck chassis and Freightliner. Is there anything else out there that I should be looking at.

I would prefer to by a used coach with low mileage from a dealer.

JohnRR 06-27-2013 08:58 AM

I'd be more concerned about the floor plan first then everything else, you've got to live with the floor plan every day you use it everything else not so mich.

GaryKD 06-27-2013 12:21 PM

Hi smalinky,
Welcome to iRV2. You can drive yourself crazy with details. Please consider:
1. Floor plan sells the coach. You know how you will use the coach. Choose the floor plan that meets your needs. Look at the coach in:
1a. travel position (slides in)
1b. living position (slides out and set up for your lifestyle)
1c. sleeping position (everything that needs to be a bed has been setup to be a bed
2. Is there enough weight capacity to carry all your stuff and you?
3. Is there enough weight capacity tow what you want to tow?
4. Look at tires, batteries and fluids. They will most likely all need to be replaced.
5. Check the roof (outside and inside) for seams and leaks.
6. Test drive the coach on a variety of speeds and roads.
That is about it.

Gadget63 06-27-2013 12:23 PM

Howdy from NYC and SC and welcome to the forums. If I were buying new, I'd look at Winnebago / Itasca at their products. They have been around for years, and they just posted 3rd quarter profits this year in a slow economy so they must be doing something right.

historyljc 07-05-2013 05:02 PM

Welcome. You have plenty of time to research and look.

MSHappyCampers 07-06-2013 11:17 AM

Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you join us! :dance:

You will get far better results on your questions if you post them over in the specific areas of the forum. Not many folks hang out here in the Welcome area. Maybe one of the Moderators will move your post over to the Class A MH section. Enjoy the forum!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless! :thumb::D