iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Bulk DEF fill from pump (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/bulk-def-fill-from-pump-167374.html)

Butte64 07-05-2013 12:33 PM

Bulk DEF fill from pump

The Hess station I go to has some kind of safety feature that prevents DEF from being pumped unless the pump nozzle is inserted into a tank.

My DEF tank won't fill from the pump because the door frame gets in the way of the pump nozzle going far enough into the receptacle.

I have tried the alternative of pumping into a separate container and then putting that in the tank but it won't work either due to that "safety feature."

Has anyone found a way to bypass or defeat the safety feature to pump into a container.

In case anyone is wondering I have yellow container normally for diesel fuel that has never been used for anything and will only be used for DEF.

BCooke 07-05-2013 12:43 PM

There are safeties built into some.
" In some cases nozzles include a magnetic lock system which correspond with magnets in an inlet adaptor in the filler neck of the vehicle's DEF tank, permitting flow when contact is made. The inlet adaptor dimensions and design are defined in ISO 22241. This is a safety feature which prevents DEF from being dispensed into the diesel tank. "
I think I remember a conversation that there is a collar you can buy at ? Flying J ? and others I would think.

gMw 07-05-2013 01:25 PM

Here's one place on the internet that sells the magnet to activate the bulk DEF nozzle.

OPW 21Gu Mis-Filling Prevention Device - MFPD

ernieh 07-06-2013 12:28 AM

The posted link appears to be for a device to prevent pumping, not a "collar" that allows it.

ernieh 07-06-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ernieh (Post 1631469)
The posted link appears to be for a device to prevent pumping, not a "collar" that allows it.

Upon reading, the above is not what I meant.

What I meant to say was that it's not clear if it is intended to go in the filler neck to prevent pumping diesel, or slip around the nozzle to allow pumping DEF.

Maybe it can do both.

gMw 07-06-2013 07:33 PM

I can see where the ‘device’ name is confusing, here’s the description for it:

A fixed magnetic field within the Mis-Filling Prevention Device actuates a magnetic interface in the spout of the 21Gu nozzle to allow the flow of DEF. Without the Mis-Filling Prevention Device, the DEF nozzle will not flow.

chuckster52 07-07-2013 01:46 PM

what i do is have the nozzle touch the yellow container and it will fill, that is how I do it...Chuck

ernieh 07-07-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckster52 (Post 1633276)
what i do is have the nozzle touch the yellow container and it will fill, that is how I do it...Chuck

I assume that the "yellow container" is your DEF tank. It probably has the magnet built in, just like mine.

My problem is that my DEF tank can't normally be reached by the hoses on the bulk pumps. Therefore, I have to fill from another container because I don't like paying $5 or $6 per gallon.

I have not encountered one of the MFPD nozzles yet, but would like to be prepaired when I do.

chuckster52 07-08-2013 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ernieh (Post 1633455)
I assume that the "yellow container" is your DEF tank. It probably has the magnet built in, just like mine.

My problem is that my DEF tank can't normally be reached by the hoses on the bulk pumps. Therefore, I have to fill from another container because I don't like paying $5 or $6 per gallon.

I have not encountered one of the MFPD nozzles yet, but would like to be prepaired when I do.

I can reach the DEF tank but it is located on the right rear..the DEF tank and the pumps are on the left side
So I use a 2 1/2 gal red gas can,fill it and then pour the DEF into the tank using it...I will put the nozzle of the def on the rim of the red gas can to fill red can...Chuck:facepalm:

ernieh 07-08-2013 12:59 PM

Chuchster, I don't see where touching the plastic can is going to do anything unless you have a magnet in the can.

I think that you are missing something here. The problem only exists if you happen to run into one of the MFPD nozzles. I have not had any problems yet because all of the DEF dispensers I've encountered so far DON'T have the MFPD nozzle. I'm just trying to be ready for the time when I do encounter one of the MFPD nozzles.

If I could reach my DEF tank, it wouldn't matter which nozzle is available because my DEF tank has the MFDP magnet (all FL tanks that I've seen do). Unfortunately, my tank is on the right side, like yours, so I have to fill from a plastic can.

Butte64 07-08-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ernieh (Post 1634601)
Chuchster, I don't see where touching the plastic can is going to do anything unless you have a magnet in the can.

I think that you are missing something here. The problem only exists if you happen to run into one of the MFPD nozzles. I have not had any problems yet because all of the DEF dispensers I've encountered so far DON'T have the MFPD nozzle. I'm just trying to be ready for the time when I do encounter one of the MFPD nozzles.

If I could reach my DEF tank, it wouldn't matter which nozzle is available because my DEF tank has the MFDP magnet (all FL tanks that I've seen do). Unfortunately, my tank is on the right side, like yours, so I have to fill from a plastic can.

This is the same problem I have, although I enough go to the DEF pump in opposite direction if I could get the nozzle into the tank.

Where do you get bulk DEF that does not have the MFPD nozzle?

chuckster52 07-08-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butte64 (Post 1634608)
This is the same problem I have, although I enough go to the DEF pump in opposite direction if I could get the nozzle into the tank.

Where do you get bulk DEF that does not have the MFPD nozzle?

Have been getting it at Pilot and or Flying J

ernieh 07-08-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckster52 (Post 1634674)
Have been getting it at Pilot and or Flying J

Same here. No problems yet. Just trying to be ready when and if.

Craig1965 07-09-2013 08:06 AM

My DEF tank is also located on the right side and the DEF pump is located on the left side at Pilot and Flying J's. I carry a orange road cone in my unit which aids me in entering the pump area from the opposite direction. I put the road cone behind a truck that is presently filling in the lane that does not have a line of trucks behind it waiting to fuel. This keeps other trucks from lining up in the lane that I want to use. When the truck leaves, I pull in the lane, fill the DEF tank, retrieve my cone and leave. Have never had a problem.