iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class C Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/)
-   -   Hub Caps-Sound Like a Shopping Cart ! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/hub-caps-sound-like-a-shopping-cart-170820.html)

88keys 07-31-2013 07:23 PM

Hub Caps-Sound Like a Shopping Cart !

Under the category of reducing road noise or NOISE in general, or, maybe noise that could drive you insane:blink:our hubcaps make a concerto of noise with every rotation of the wheels.
It's an '08 Sprinter Chassis, Fleetwood Icon 24A, and I'm assuming that these are the "standard" glossy hubcaps .
Anyone have any practical solutions for taming the "whince, whince, whince"...noise ?:facepalm:

Mr_D 07-31-2013 07:30 PM

Yep, tighten the lugs. Something is moving and it shouldn't. Had a car do that once, turned out the "mag" wheels had one loose lugnut. Once tightened down it quit and never came back.
Although, when we had wheel covers, I had to add foam rubber "bumpers" between the covers and wheels to silence them.

Maladjusted 07-31-2013 07:38 PM

I had this problem... I took the wheel cover off... And applied some foam tape (the kind used when a cap is mounted on a pickup bed) to the rim of the wheel cover... Then remounted. This stopped the metal to metal contact and stopped the noise!

Mal

ReelTime 08-01-2013 08:30 AM

maladjusted got it right, The wheel is flexing under the weight at low speed, that is when it does all the scrunchy squeaky really bad. That was when I noticed it the most.

I took electrical tape went around the inside of the cover over the little points that grip the wheel. It has been over a year now, no more noise.

Just passing on what was shared with me by an old-timer. From experience he was right.

88keys 08-01-2013 09:41 AM

That is good stuff guys. I will give it a try. Many thanks

Ed-Sommers 08-01-2013 10:36 AM

I'd just throw the caps in the trash, or sell them. They serve no useful purpose, but vanity may support their use.

All IMHO

Ed

JohnBoyToo 08-01-2013 10:45 AM

Good ideas, but be careful about adding TOO much cushion as it may limit the catch points of the cap and one day it may pass you on the road as it comes off a careens into the opposing traffic :(

Ramblin 08-01-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers (Post 1667159)
I'd just throw the caps in the trash, or sell them. They serve no useful purpose, but vanity may support their use.

All IMHO

Ed

I agree. Paint is overrated as well. :angel:

ReelTime 08-02-2013 05:53 AM

JohnBoyToo, Good catch, If you use the electrical tape as I did one round around the inside of the cap (over the points) will do. The cap still has to have the points thru the tape to hold the cap.

I thought it would be a short-term fix but it is still working.

Shellback1 08-02-2013 06:04 AM

I put garden hose washers on 4 of my 10 lugs, not to prevent noise but to allow a slight gap for water to drain. Water would stay in the hub cap causing the steel rim to rust.

88keys 08-02-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramblin (Post 1667203)
I agree. Paint is overrated as well. :angel:

:thumb:

GULFer 08-02-2013 04:49 PM

Had similar drive you crazy noise at low speed. When I had new tires put on the tech discovered the wheel weights were loose and would move when tire turned. He said he saw this problem often on truck tires... Good Luck

88keys 08-08-2013 06:21 PM

Well, I thought I'd let you guys know that the electrical tape worked :dance:

I removed the hubcaps, thoroughly pressure washed them as well as the rims, the front rims were black as tar , sparyed a bit of 3M glue on the hubcaps before applying the black electric tape around the perimeter. Done. No more noise.

Thanks very much to all of you for the tips.:bow:

ReelTime 08-09-2013 06:04 AM

Great, glad you found a solution and Thank you for letting us know the issue is resolved. A great group of folks on here and all are willing to offer there ideas. If there were more sharing in the world it would definitely be a better place.