iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   What is wrong with this picture? 2008 class A, 2,500 miles, 40 genset hours (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/what-is-wrong-with-this-picture-2008-class-a-2-500-miles-40-genset-hours-171413.html)

TwelveVolt 08-05-2013 02:27 PM

What is wrong with this picture? 2008 class A, 2,500 miles, 40 genset hours

Yes, the comma is in the right place. A walk through this coach suggests the numbers are correct.

What are the risks? More than half of the mileage would have been run up six years ago on delivery from the factory.
It is now out of warranty and does not appear to have been run enough to find all the manufacturing bugs.
It is a Ford V10 6.8 chassis. What significant-cost chassis and house items might deteriorate from sitting his long?
Is it a 'valuable find' or a 'risky proposition'. Naturally the scale would be tipped by the price tag.
Parked outside, so slight surface rust. Genset looks like it just came out of the box.

Doggy Daddy 08-05-2013 02:56 PM

Why not ask the seller/owner for some history of its' use or lack of.
Sounds like a bargain find if price is right. If not done completely in advance, May need servicing and replacement of items due to age and lack of use; tires, batteries, alarms, fluids, rubber - wipers, seals, gaskets, filters, hoses, etc., resealing and caulking of windows, trim, and roof, lubrication of slides, cables, hinges, steps, etc, and also inspection for rodent damage?, etc.

CLIFFTALL 08-05-2013 03:01 PM

What brand/ model is it. ? How much $ ?

topdownman 08-05-2013 03:05 PM

Not unusual. I bought my 2007 Sportscoach in April 2012 and it had 2,200 miles on the clock and about 56 on the genny. It was originally purchased by a single lady who used it maybe once, then decided it was too big and traded it in on something smaller. There WERE some teething pains, mostly because it had sat for so long. I had to rebuild the air brakes and replace some rusted hose clamps. Since then, it's been a great machine and I got a great deal.

cb1000rider 08-05-2013 03:17 PM

What's the price?
Have a look at the tires.
Run the generator.. Likely the owner who hasn't used it doesn't know what issue sit has as it's been sitting.

For the right price - assuming it's been stored indoors, might be a great deal. However, assume that everything needs to be checked out. I think the V10 will be OK - one concern would be age of the fuel.

TwelveVolt 08-05-2013 06:27 PM

Thank you all for some excellent ideas. I had not thought of looking for rodent damage.
What to do with the old gasoline? Remove or use additives?

My biggest concern is the fact that the engine and drivetrain have never been thoroughly tested since leaving the factory. I guess an extended warranty is in order.

Sorry, bargain hunters. The owner is starting out with "Let's pretend its 2007 and this is a brand new coach. Any takers?"
Could be on the market a long time.

ahicks 08-05-2013 07:56 PM

Somebody telling me "let's pretend" is telling me to move on. They're in fantasy land and due for a reality check? They can run their games on somebody else if they don't want to believe that the coach is 6 years old?

cb1000rider 08-05-2013 07:58 PM

Again, we need more info on the coach - the price, if it's been sitting, indoors / outdoors, last time run, info from owner or at a dealer?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwelveVolt (Post 1673008)
Thank you all for some excellent ideas. I had not thought of looking for rodent damage.
What to do with the old gasoline? Remove or use additives?

If the gas is bad (no start) - you can smell it at the gas cap and the RV likely won't start. Fuel injected rigs are more tolerant of bad gas than carb'd rigs, but your generator has a carb.

If it starts and runs, you're fine.

If it doesn't, you're talking about getting up to 50-60 gallons of gas out of a tank and disposing it. It's not a small job. Ford would likely try to charge you $1k after disposal and all the bogus "cleaning" services.

Quote:

My biggest concern is the fact that the engine and drivetrain have never been thoroughly tested since leaving the factory. I guess an extended warranty is in order.

It's a V10. It's been extensively tested for the last decade. I wouldn't worry about it too much beyond a good flush of all the fluids.

Quote:

Sorry, bargain hunters. The owner is starting out with "Let's pretend its 2007 and this is a brand new coach. Any takers?"
Could be on the market a long time.

Yea, that's the wrong attitude UNLESS it's been stored inside and started up at least once a month. Even then, We're still talking 40-60% off the price of what it was worth in 2007.

frankdamp 08-05-2013 09:52 PM

When we bought our '02 in '10, the mileage was reasonable for 8 years (12,000), but the generator only had 46,7 hours on the meter. I figured that was all "regular exercising" and it had never actually been run to provide power to the coach.

Our shakedown trip took us into 105 degree temps, (90 or more at night) and we used the generator to give us both a/cs (30A rig). We've only "exercised" it since, as we usually stay at FHU sites.

Unfortunately, in Dec 2011, I had to have an angioplasty op, and the genny sat for about 5 months without being run. I've replaced the fuel pump, soaked the carb in Seafoam for several days, but still no joy.

I hope your genny is EFI, but it it's not, be prepared for about a $250 replacement carb. I'm still trying to figure mine out - maybe too high an output pressure from the fuel pump? It will start, run for maybe 2 seconds while spitting great cobs of white smoke out of the exhaust, then it dies.

TwelveVolt 08-06-2013 12:51 PM

It's so comforting to have my own RV buying support group. Thanks again.

Because enquiring minds want to know, here is the ad for this coach.

https://t.rvtrader.com/listing/2008-F...-31m-110747241

I commented earlier that the genset looks like it just came out of the box. It turns out that is because it did. Perhaps because bad gas or lack of use killed the original?

bdickson 08-06-2013 01:01 PM

At 5 years old the tires are on the edge of the 5 to 7 year old replacement recommendation. Since it is in Key Largo Florida I would give it a very careful inspection for rust and corrosion since it has been in a salt water environment.

GaryKD 08-06-2013 01:05 PM

Lack of use, not abuse it the death of many coaches.

terry735001 08-06-2013 01:11 PM

humm i winder how long its been setting in Key Largo, FL

i lived 45 mins form there for many years a lot of salt in the air / rain / rust
if you look at it make sure the slides sound ok coming in and out

dmason 08-06-2013 01:22 PM

If you're getting close to the "serious" decision point might want to invest in an independent RV Inspector who can give the coach a top to bottom, all systems test and check. Then using his punch list enter into the negotiations with the punch list on the table . . . and add to it an extended warranty contract cost. That's a reasonable starting point. If the dealer balks, you walk.