iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   safe to walk on the roof? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/safe-to-walk-on-the-roof-173723.html)

Engle 08-22-2013 07:08 PM

safe to walk on the roof?
 
I have a 2006 Allegro Bay. I have just had it about 4 months and want to climb on top and check it out. I weigh 235. Is there a weight limit so not to harm the roof? My coach has a fiberglass roof. Are there certain areas that I need to stay away from such as the skylight, air conditioner, etc.

thanks folks, Leo

burfurd 08-22-2013 07:14 PM

I have a Tiffin Phaeton with a fiberglass roof and I am topped out at about 215. :banghead: I can walk on the roof with no problems but the ladder kinda creaks a bit. :rolleyes: Therefore, I allow my wife to get up there more often than me or else use a separate ladder that can handle more blubber! :whistling:

burfurd

WannaBFlTmer 08-22-2013 07:30 PM

I'm at 205. No problem except one time knelt down put all weight on one knee and felt it crunch a little. Oops.

WesinRockies 08-22-2013 09:28 PM

On my 08 revolution it is marked not to go out on front cap!

Hooligan 08-22-2013 09:32 PM

The air conditioning covers are very fragile, especially as they age. Not a good hand hold or support. Skylights are thin plastic.

firedoc 08-22-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hooligan (Post 1697246)
The air conditioning covers are very fragile, especially as they age. Not a good hand hold or support. Skylights are thin plastic.

At 295 pounds I get up on the roof to wash it. Still no new skylights! Fleetwood rubber roof.

dengraham 08-22-2013 10:12 PM

On my 05 there was a sticker on the roof that said, "Caution Slippery When Wet." On my 2013 there is a sticker on the roof that says, "Danger, Stay Off the Roof." It is interesting that the new 2014 Tiffin and Winnebago motorhomes are being built without any ladder on the back.

WannaBFlTmer 08-22-2013 11:01 PM

So cross your fingers and hope everything on top is fine? Maybe they don't want you to see the new construction quality. :-)

sswilson 08-22-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dengraham (Post 1697294)
On my 05 there was a sticker on the roof that said, "Caution Slippery When Wet." On my 2013 there is a sticker on the roof that says, "Danger, Stay Off the Roof." It is interesting that the new 2014 Tiffin and Winnebago motorhomes are being built without any ladder on the back.

I guess one of their ways to bring costs down a bit. It is still available as an add-on isn't it? Lot's of RV's do not put them on unless added.

sswilson 08-22-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 1697327)

I guess one of their ways to bring costs down a bit. It is still available as an add-on isn't it? Lot's of RV's do not put them on unless added.

I should have added that I am approx 200 # and walk on my Fiberglas roof. I do step lightly though and avoid vents etc and never walk on the front cap!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.