iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   HWH Jack Problem (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/hwh-jack-problem-175313.html)

brookra1 09-05-2013 06:59 AM

HWH Jack Problem

All jacks extend and retract normally. Problem is both rear jacks stop retracting about 1/2" short of where they should, just clearing the travel alarm point. Then the jack closest to the hyd. unit extends to the alarm occasionally while driving in the store position. last time out that jack extended enough to alarm and would not retract to clear alarm point. Had to loosen hose and drain off a little fluid because jack could not be pushed up by hand.. No more problem the rest of the trip. Question, it has a velocity valve/ check valve on each jack could that keep it from retracting all the way? Both rear jacks look the same retracted fronts are up all the way. Is there a way to adjust the system to allow the jacks to come up further?
Thanks, Rick

AirManFL 09-05-2013 07:31 AM

I'm a newbie, but I've had some HWH jack issues and have done quite a bit of reading.

Issues could be:

The springs are weak and need to be replaced.

The shafts may need to be lubricated. I use a silicone lubricant.

The reservoir may be low on fluid.

Have you tried pushing them up? I used a floor jack once to push mine up (be careful and patient so you don't blow the seal on the floor jack).

Rob

Snoopkat 09-05-2013 07:39 AM

I'm having the same exact problem with my rig....the rear passenger side jack retracts most of the time, but very slowly. The one on the rear driver's side retracts fully about one time in ten tries. If I get underneath and wipe them down with a silicone spray and rag, they will come up once or twice, then fail in subsequent tries. My rig is a year old and also have HWH hydraulic jacks. The dealer can't seem to duplicate the issue when I take it in but I think it's because they keep trying it under the same conditions. Very frustrating! It does seem to be a spring tension issue as I can get under the rig with a board and push them up manually. Hope you have better luck than I have had!

Bruce C 09-05-2013 07:41 AM

Check your fluid reservoir, it sounds like you may be low. When checking always make sure that your levelers are in the full up position, in the down position it will allow too much fluid to be added and when retracted it will make a mess and overflow. Good luck.

Melmoses 09-05-2013 12:26 PM

And if you have any hydraulic slides, the slides need to be extended - that is jacks up and slides out to check the fluid.

Duo 09-05-2013 02:23 PM

Same problem with my 2004 Winnebago. I just took the rear drivers side off and I m having it checked for straightness hydraulic levels ok. I called HWH got the" give us your number we'll call you back!" Routine 3days ago........I'll keep you all posted on results

brookra1 09-06-2013 06:38 AM

Thanks for all the replies on my issue. Could be a result of a low fluid level did not check level seeing everything went up and down, in and out with no problems except rear jacks stopping short of full retraction. Will check today and post if that fixes problem. In reply to a couple of posts springs are good as soon as pressure is relieved they go right up. The problem is there is enough pressure remaining after they shut off they can not be pushed up unless you force them with a jack.
Rick

HD4Mark 09-06-2013 06:48 AM

Our right front would not go up so I had to push it up then one day one of the springs broke. I installed a new set and like magic it went up by itself... about four times.

HWH jacks like Norcold fridges seem to be something that anyone who has them, has a problem with them. Another "there has to be a better way" type thing.

brookra1 09-06-2013 12:42 PM

OK, added some fluid to my hyd. tank and made no difference in the rear jack retraction. Beginning to think might be a tired solenoid. Where is the best place to buy one?
Rick

rich6111 09-06-2013 12:55 PM

levelers

I have the same problem. I think everybody does. I push the up button again after they stop and then they retract all the way.

AirManFL 09-06-2013 12:56 PM

Just out of curiosity, did you manually open the solenoid valve to see if it comes up?

Rob

rvarner 09-06-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirManFL (Post 1716831)
Just out of curiosity, did you manually open the solenoid valve to see if it comes up?

Rob

Was thinking exactly the same thing. Had trouble with mine retracting then extending on their own. Valve was a tiny bit loose. Tightened and fixed it.
Richard

brookra1 09-07-2013 06:48 AM

Jacks will retract all the way if the solenoid valve is opened. Might be wrong but thinking that valve is failing and closing a little to soon. But, both back jacks stop at the same place. I replaced the left rear two years ago because the o-ring bound up inside and it would not move. Still it also stops just short of full retraction but, up enough to clear the warning alarm.
Rick

gemini5362 09-07-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce C (Post 1715023)
Check your fluid reservoir, it sounds like you may be low. When checking always make sure that your levelers are in the full up position, in the down position it will allow too much fluid to be added and when retracted it will make a mess and overflow. Good luck.

Bruce they have HWH jacks. Problem cannot be low fluid. HWH jacks are returned by spring pressure.