iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/)
-   -   12V Receptacles (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/12v-receptacles-177696.html)

Chillbilly 09-24-2013 04:21 PM

12V Receptacles

We have a 2004 Winnebago Adventurer Model 31Y with the Workhorse chassis. A few days ago, while driving to a campground, we lost power to the 12V receptacle on the dash, which was powering our GPS. I plugged the GPS into the 12V receptacle by the passenger side of the coach, and found it was dead also. Upon parking and setting up for camping, I tried the GPS in the exterior entertainment center 12V receptacle and found that receptacle to also be dead. I happened to turn the dash radio on, and found it would not work with the radio power switch set to house power. When I turned the radio power switch to engine power the radio worked fine. I tried the exterior entertainment center radio and it worked fine. Could the 12V receptacles and the house radio power be on the same circuit? I have checked all 12V circuit breakers near the entry steps and find none blown. I have checked the 12V fuses under the dash pod and find none blown. I don't see any loose wires anywhere. All other 12V appliances seem to work properly. I presented this question to Winnebago and their vague response was "The cigarette lighter and the 12V outlet are powered by the house batteries. The yellow LS wire is a general purpose coach feed. The fuse location is under the dash pod." Can anyone give me any better advice? Is there another fuse located somewhere else, maybe an inline fuse? Where would I start looking? Would I be looking for a short, a loose wire, a bad relay, a bad ground, or what else could cause this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

VSPA 09-24-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chillbilly (Post 1741383)
We have a 2004 Winnebago Adventurer Model 31Y with the Workhorse chassis. A few days ago, while driving to a campground, we lost power to the 12V receptacle on the dash, which was powering our GPS. I plugged the GPS into the 12V receptacle by the passenger side of the coach, and found it was dead also.........

Once had 2004 Tiffin on WH chassis with same problem. Had blown a fuse under dashboard close to the floor board on the left had side.

wa8yxm 09-24-2013 06:29 PM

In many vehicles yes, the radio and "lighter" socket as it was once called share a fuse. On a Workhorse there are dash fuses in one of 3 places.

The obvious fuse panel (at least on mine) Down by the parking brake. A plane unmarked box, under the hood, Front and center, near the top.

The Intelletec Battery Control center to the right of the box mentioned above.

I'm guessing on this but I think the radio fuses are inside, near the parking brake.

Chillbilly 09-25-2013 02:32 PM

UPDATE:
Got a follow-up call from Winnebago, who asked that I check the fuse block above the fuse panel. I did find a blown fuse there. I replaced the fuse and had power at both receptacles and the radio was again working on house power. Plugged in "just the cord" of my GPS (without the GPS attached yet) and immediately blew the fuse. Replaced the fuse and tried the cord in the other receptacle and again blew the fuse. Now I'm thinking the cord may be the culprit, maybe shorting out. I can't see how the fuse would blow with just the cord plugged in, without the GPS, unless the cord is shorted. I'm looking for some other 12v appliance to plug in. I will probably have to buy something. Does this sound logical to you all?

Chillbilly 09-28-2013 01:06 PM

UPDATE
Many thanks to Troy from Winnebago Industries Service for his patience with me and my problem, and for helping me solve it. Together, we finally determined that the problem I had was being caused, not by anything wrong in the coach, but by a faulty GPS power cord. And, thanks also to Rand-McNally Technical Support Service for recognizing the problem and shipping me a replacement power cord for their GPS. Kudos to both companies for their continued superb customer support!