iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Entegra Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/)
-   -   Chassis battery charge (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/chassis-battery-charge-179653.html)

ddgilmore 10-11-2013 10:09 PM

Chassis battery charge

Curious, when hooked to shore power, are the chasis batteries receiving a charge. In my previous coach, (Monaco) they didn't.. I always did a battery disconnect on the chasis battery on prolonged stays.. Looking forward to hear from you.. Thanks..:)

Dunner 10-12-2013 12:13 AM

Some do. Some don't. Mine does. My buddy also has a `04 Sea Breeze, but an LX on a WH chassis and it doesn't. Go figure.

DSL417 10-12-2013 04:17 AM

Entegras are supposed to, and I check my chassis batteries when i pack up to leave. They almost always read 12.8 to 12.9 V surface charge. OTOH, I do, as another user her on the forum recommended...I run my generator for the first 30 minutes on the road if I have been parked for a week or more, just to make sure everything has a nice full charging opportunity. May not be required, but I have seen the result of having chassis batteries that never made it to fully charged. May cost a half a gallon on diesel, but worth it. JMHO

ddgilmore 10-12-2013 11:28 AM

Chassis battery

Thanks for the response. Great idea for the generator start.. Your right, 30 mins., diesel cheap insurance..:)

Selah 10-12-2013 01:28 PM

The chassis batteries are typically charged on shore power only of there is Battery Minder or Trick-l-Charge, or similar device installed. Some coaches come with one preinstalled, others may not. I think a BIRD may do the same thing.
If you heave one installed no need to run the generator as the Battery Minder will keep,the chassis battery charges when plugged in. If you don't have one running the generator will do absolutely no good. The generator only supplies 110 volt AC and only the house batteries are connected to the inverter/charger.
The RV alternator will supply enough to charge both house and chassis batteries so driving is all that is needed.
Again, the above is typical and may not,apply to every MH out,there.

Marcosdad 10-14-2013 02:56 PM

A good question for customer service. I am under the impression that the truck batteries charge from a solar panel. That being said, if the rig is stored indoors with power...do the truck batteries stay charged? Parked outdoors all summer our truck batteries were rarin' to go when we got under way.

exgman 10-14-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSL417 (Post 1763424)
Entegras are supposed to, and I check my chassis batteries when i pack up to leave. They almost always read 12.8 to 12.9 V surface charge. OTOH, I do, as another user her on the forum recommended...I run my generator for the first 30 minutes on the road if I have been parked for a week or more, just to make sure everything has a nice full charging opportunity. May not be required, but I have seen the result of having chassis batteries that never made it to fully charged. May cost a half a gallon on diesel, but worth it. JMHO

Dave, doesn't the alternator do the same thing when going down the road?

DSL417 10-14-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exgman (Post 1766447)
Dave, doesn't the alternator do the same thing when going down the road?

Yes, but it is a small alternator...I really can't say why I do this other than several smarter than me that are on the second or more coach just suggested using a half gallon of fuel to make sure you maximize the charge on all batteries wasn't a bad idea. Since I had major issues early on because dealer ran the batteries down (coach and chassis) several times, I just take the precautionary approach.

The inverters on the coach do a lot of things that are involved in this when on shore power and when running the generator; I'm no expert, so I won't attempt to elaborate, but they move power around based on use, charge based upon requirement (coach and chassis) and source (generator, alternator, or shore), and manage where the recharging is accomplished first. I'll leave the hows and whys to someone smarter than me.

rogelling 10-15-2013 04:02 PM

The Entegra website says the chassis batteries are charged by a 5 watt solar panel. My question is, if you have the optional 2 100watt solar panels do you still have the 5 watt panel for the chassis batteries or do the dual 100 take up that duty?

exgman 10-16-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSL417 (Post 1766465)
Yes, but it is a small alternator...I really can't say why I do this other than several smarter than me that are on the second or more coach just suggested using a half gallon of fuel to make sure you maximize the charge on all batteries wasn't a bad idea. Since I had major issues early on because dealer ran the batteries down (coach and chassis) several times, I just take the precautionary approach.

The inverters on the coach do a lot of things that are involved in this when on shore power and when running the generator; I'm no expert, so I won't attempt to elaborate, but they move power around based on use, charge based upon requirement (coach and chassis) and source (generator, alternator, or shore), and manage where the recharging is accomplished first. I'll leave the hows and whys to someone smarter than me.

Believe me, I'm not an expert either. I hadn't heard of this practice before, but it certainly isn't going to hurt anything.My alternator went out on me last year so I ran my generator across Nevada to keep my chassis batteries charged to keep the coach running. I would have never thought of doing that if I woudn't have read about someone doing it before on an RV forum. Saved me from being towed.

Saltydog44 10-16-2013 09:36 AM

OK - I'm confused - again.

We store the MH in a covered bay (so no solar) with a 30A hookup. I have never noticed the chassis battery having an issue, but haven't tested it. I assumed (I know) that it was trickle charging off the 30A.

Does anyone know for sure if it is charging from the 30A shore power?

Ann n Gene 10-16-2013 10:52 AM

Yes it IS charging when plugged into shire power from the inverter/charger.

Saltydog44 10-16-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ann n Gene (Post 1768733)

Thanks - it sure feels good to ask a simple question and get a simple answer! And the one I was hoping for as well.....:bow:

rogelling 10-16-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ann n Gene (Post 1768733)

Which of the 2 inverters is supposed to be doing that?