iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Freightliner Motorhome Chassis Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   US Gear braking unit on a FL XCS chassis? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/us-gear-braking-unit-on-a-fl-xcs-chassis-180345.html)

alkillion 10-17-2013 09:04 PM

US Gear braking unit on a FL XCS chassis?

I need to (re) install my US Gear brake controller in my new Winnebago Forza with a Freightliner XCS chassis. The manual for both the MH and chassis say it is wired for a brake controller. The US Gear website says that new Winnebagos and Freightliner chassis are wired for their brake controller.

My question is, has anyone found the connector in the cab? I've looked under the dash and didn't find anything obvious.

There are quite a few wire bundles held together with zip-ties under the dash and steering wheel. I'm thinkng I need to cut some of the zip-ties and see what is in some of the bundles.

Any ideas?

lvanduyn 10-22-2013 08:27 AM

US Gear controller

I need to (re) install my US Gear brake controller in my new Winnebago Forza with a Freightliner XCS chassis. The manual for both the MH and chassis say it is wired for a brake controller. The US Gear website says that new Winnebagos and Freightliner chassis are wired for their brake controller.

My question is, has anyone found the connector in the cab? I've looked under the dash and didn't find anything obvious.

There are quite a few wire bundles held together with zip-ties under the dash and steering wheel. I'm thinkng I need to cut some of the zip-ties and see what is in some of the bundles.

Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Hi
I just went through the same scenario with my XCL chassis. I called FL and they told me that the connector was bundled with some other cables along the steering column. Not so on mine. I found the cable sticking out up in the left corner under the dash. It has several large and several smaller wires in a propietary connector. I cut the connector off and wired directly to the US Gear controller. If you call Freightliner, they can tell you the wire functions verses colors for the bunch. I have that info but not available at the moment.
Larry

Rich-n-Linda 10-22-2013 07:09 PM

I found mine under the dash to the left of the steering column. It was tied down and bundled with several other cables. I actually found it when exploring the dash area from the TOP with the dash cover above the gauges removed. Freightliner XC-R chassis.

Look hard...it's there!

alkillion 10-23-2013 12:24 AM

Finally found my connector. Was zip tied on top of steering wheel with the connector stuck up in a hole in the structural metal for the dash. Found it using a signal tracer attached to the brake controller line on the hitch connector.
Now, I need to know what the wires are.
If you can find the wire function/color, I would really appreciate it. Mine appears to be a 6 wire connector.
Thanks

lvanduyn 10-23-2013 08:27 PM

Brake controller wiring

I have that info for my coach but it may not be exactly the same for yours. Also, the coach is in storage so the info is not readily available. Do what I did.
Call Freightliner 1-800-FTL-HELP and give them last six of your VIN. They will be able to give you the info you need.
Larry

texnet 10-23-2013 10:52 PM

US Gear makes an adapter that plugs into the FL wiring and plugs into the US Gear controller. I have one at home that I used before I switched braking systems, but I am not home. If you don't find an answer to your problem by the weekend PM me and I will provide you the pinouts.

donie 11-23-2013 10:53 AM

We just had the braking system transfered from our old gas coach to our new diesel unit and the mech hard wires the controller into the system under the dash.
After checking it out, everything works great.

alkillion 11-24-2013 01:30 AM

Just to update, I bought the conversion pigtail from RVPlus. Hooked everything up and it works great. Thanks for the help.

hardy1000 11-24-2013 06:18 AM

On my 2007 Monaco Diplomat it was located under the side panel that has the jack controls. I removed the screws and lifted the panel and found it.