iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Tire help (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/tire-help-182740.html)

mothgrey 11-07-2013 09:21 PM

Tire help

Hope this is an ok place to post this but i don't see another area.
Were buying a 2004 Class A from a boat and RV repo seller. Here's my thing the RV is 10 years old and with only 14K miles they are original tires. They are date coded 7/04. After reading many post here I'm scared to drive on them even though they are in great condition. This is not worth ours or anyone else's life however again from what I read I'm thinking this is about 3K to 4K worth of tires.
Are there tires you can recommend and who to buy from that don't cost that much but still have good quality.

vsheetz 11-07-2013 09:29 PM

You are right to be concerned of the tires. They have the years on them to be replaced and you have no idea of the history or care they have had.

I am a fan of Michelin XRV RV tires from having good service from multiple sets. I recently bought another set via the FMCA Michelin discount program. The price in my area was not that much more than lessor brand tires I compared to. And the dealer was a authorized Michelin truck tire dealer - very knowledgable and experienced with motor homes.

The search feature here will show you many threads regarding tires as it's a often asked question.

mothgrey 11-08-2013 07:27 AM

Well next question is can we safely change 4 of the 6? Do the front 2 and 2 of the back then next year do the last 2. That way I spread the cost out a little. Not sure if that is Ok to do. If I'm able to do that do I change outside rear then inside on the rear duals the following year.

jmckinley 11-08-2013 07:37 AM

Don't mix old and new on the duals. Difference in radius will overload one tire result in early failure.

dieselclacker 11-08-2013 02:52 PM

Check out Toyo tires if there is a dealer in your area. Good tires, reasonably priced.

dsbike 11-08-2013 03:24 PM

Bite the bullet & change all 6 tires. You could be fine, but do you really want to find out you were wrong if you only change 4. Also as stated above you must change the inner & outer mates at the same time for best results.

Pepper2 11-08-2013 03:29 PM

19.5 Goodyears cost me $3000 out the door. You will find there are two primary camps on tires. Michelin and Goodyear. If I had to break up the purchase I would go with steer tires first and duals next year.

vsheetz 11-08-2013 03:34 PM

Bear in mind that when a tires blows out at speed, it not infrequently does damage to the coach (wiring, body damage, brake lines, etc.) - not just simply the tire being bad... Replace all 6 - they are all well due to be replaced.

mothgrey 11-09-2013 01:51 PM

After reading a lot on this site about tires I'm picking up my new to me MH next Saturday. The tires are in great shape but come up on ten yrs next spring. I'm thinking I'm just gonna put new Sumitomos on it when I get it. Just worth the piece of mind.
Question The tires on it are in great shape does anyone buy used 10yr old tires?

vsheetz 11-09-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mothgrey (Post 1799873)
After reading a lot on this site about tires I'm picking up my new to me MH next Saturday. The tires are in great shape but come up on ten yrs next spring. I'm thinking I'm just gonna put new Sumitomos on it when I get it. Just worth the piece of mind. Question The tires on it are in great shape does anyone buy used 10yr old tires?

Yes they are worth money. I sell them via Craigslist. Usually get $50-$100 each depending on condition. Most recent set I got about $500 for six - the sold one or two at a time. Set before that I was asking $600 for the set of six and a guy carried them away at $500. Don't leave them with the installer they are worth money.

Pepper2 11-09-2013 04:02 PM

:nonono:

djbmsu 11-09-2013 08:09 PM

Changing all 6 is the correct move. Any tire ten yrs old is never worth putting your life or others at risk.

jpharley 11-10-2013 08:11 AM

I am not sure that I would sell questionable tires to someone else. Those tires may look good but the prevailing thought is that age is the killer of tires. 5 years is just about the max age for any tire.

vsheetz 11-10-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpharley (Post 1800662)
I am not sure that I would sell questionable tires to someone else. Those tires may look good but the prevailing thought is that age is the killer of tires. 5 years is just about the max age for any tire.

The buyers I have felt with know what they are buying. Most have been for work trucks that are not loaded continually heavy as is a Motorhome.