iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   How to replace tiny clamps from factory (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/how-to-replace-tiny-clamps-from-factory-182989.html)

maxwell18 11-10-2013 07:20 PM

How to replace tiny clamps from factory

Wondering how anybody handles those tiny clamps used on plastic lines. I know you can buy tools for them, but you have to buy a different size tool for each size. What are the best clamps to replace them?

mahon1993 11-10-2013 07:43 PM

maxwell18, are you referring to the clamps on the fresh water lines?

clyon51 11-10-2013 08:38 PM

I assume you are talking about the metal clamp rings on PEX plumbing. They are generally all the same size in an RV, but I guess they can differ. The clamping tool is expensive, but most hardwares that carry PEX rents them. If you need to replace some, just take a piece of the pipe with you and they can fix you up.

I should also mention there are several mfgs that make alternate connections for PEX that don't require tools. Shark Bite is the only one that comes to mind right now.

BobGed 11-10-2013 09:28 PM

As a previous poster has already mentioned your plastic pipe is PEX tubing. The best way I have found to remove the crimped connectors is with a small hacksaw blade.

They should all be 1/2" connectors and while you can use SharkBite connectors, they tend to be fairly large. If you want something close to what you're removing that will work just as well and not cost as much for the tool, you might try the cinch clamp system:
Watts P-572 1/2-Inch Stainless Steel Cinch Clamp for 1/2-Inch PEX Pipe, 10-Pack - Amazon.com
Pex Cinch Clamp Fastening tool - Amazon.com

ARTWERKE 11-10-2013 09:51 PM

I went ahead and bought a multisize crimp tool, About $75, I have PEX water pipes in my S&B so it comes in handy. But for replacing elbow on my old Southwind ,a Shark Bite 90 let me slip fit it in that super tight space behind the water heater under the sink.

chboone 11-10-2013 10:57 PM

I prefer to use compression fittings for PEX tubing. My local RV supply has them in stock. I may be old fashion, I don't feel comfortable relying on an O-ring to seal a fitting like shark bite does.
PEX Flair It Plastic Compression Fittings Chart for Mobile Home Manufactured Housing

Chuck

distaff 11-10-2013 11:31 PM

Home Depot sells the fittings and sells a cheap version of the tool for about $50, and rents the good one for about $10 a day (it is over $100 to buy).

maxwell18 11-11-2013 03:19 AM

Followup

Thanks to everybody for all the information in a short period of time. I was talking about the PEX water lines. Some of this new stuff, new to me has me having to look around and ask questions as we are just getting back in to motorhome rving again:dance:. Just turned 71 and have some juice left so here we ago again.....

Pigman1 11-11-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobGed (Post 1801638)
As a previous poster has already mentioned your plastic pipe is PEX tubing. The best way I have found to remove the crimped connectors is with a small hacksaw blade.

They should all be 1/2" connectors and while you can use SharkBite connectors, they tend to be fairly large. If you want something close to what you're removing that will work just as well and not cost as much for the tool, you might try the cinch clamp system:
Watts P-572 1/2-Inch Stainless Steel Cinch Clamp for 1/2-Inch PEX Pipe, 10-Pack - Amazon.com
Pex Cinch Clamp Fastening tool - Amazon.com

Yep. I got this style crimper and rings at my local Lowes store. Works as good or better than the copper rings and definitely easier to remove the rings.