iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   RV Systems & Appliances (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Atwood Stove Won't Stay Lit (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/atwood-stove-wont-stay-lit-183090.html)

NomadBD 11-11-2013 06:06 PM

Atwood Stove Won't Stay Lit

Hello all,

I have an Atwood stove that will not stay lit. The pilot light stays lit( initially) and also starts the stove burner just fine. After the burner has been lit, however, the pilot light begins to Flicker as the burner flame begins to die. Ultimately, both the pilot light and the main burner flame die completely.

The appliance stays lit for approximately 5 minutes before everything dies out. Any help this forum can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
BD

KIX 11-11-2013 06:11 PM

Are you certain you have adequate propane supply? Do other propane appliances (water heater) work ok? I would suspect a defective propane regulator at the tank if the supply is good..

"007" 11-11-2013 09:13 PM

Is the air vent for pilot clean no spider web or something else?

NomadBD 11-11-2013 09:18 PM

All other propane appliances work without a problem and there are no spider webs or other issues clogging the works.

KIX 11-12-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NomadBD (Post 1802857)
All other propane appliances work without a problem and there are no spider webs or other issues clogging the works.

So, it's a stove ONLY problem.
In some stoves there is a final line regulator on the stove itself. Just find where the propane line connects to the stove and then it should be about a 1.5" square fitting in the piping. You may not have one but if you do it's a possible cause.
Another possibility is an internally damaged flex hose between the stove and the supply.
You really need a water column manometer or other means of determining pressure in the propane piping immediately before the stove. A w.c. manometer is pretty easy to construct using clear flex tubing. You can probably find an example on Google.

Mac99 11-12-2013 04:27 PM

Might be a kinked flexible hose that lets a slight
flow, but not enough to supply the burner. The
water column test won't find this issue, it is
volume not pressure. Just a thought, mine is in
the slide out and did this as well. Kinked in the
basement.

KIX 11-12-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macadnphyl (Post 1803816)
Might be a kinked flexible hose that lets a slight
flow, but not enough to supply the burner. The
water column test won't find this issue, it is
volume not pressure.
Just a thought, mine is in
the slide out and did this as well. Kinked in the
basement.

Yeah, you're right. I was actually thinking of a problem I had several rigs ago. The inner liner of a flex hose was peeling and blocking the flow. To determine that I needed to look "before" the appliance I used a water column manometer I fabbed and teed into the supply line. With it teed in you could see the pressure drop before the burner.