iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   New Member Check-In (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/)
-   -   Newbie investigating RVing (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/newbie-investigating-rving-184953.html)

Greg1965 11-29-2013 08:35 AM

Newbie investigating RVing

Hello to the RV world. We're newly transitioned "empty nesters" and strongly considering buying a trailer for camping and traveling -actually more like reveling- in our new found freedom:). Looking for insights and trailer evaluations and have found great info here. Thanks

MSHappyCampers 11-29-2013 08:38 AM

Hi Greg! Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you join the gang! :dance:

Hope you find the right RV for your needs. Enjoy the forum!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless! :thumb::D

Fred1609 11-29-2013 08:41 AM

Welcome to the forum...there is a wealth of info and experience in this site....you will love the experience of learning about RVing and about RV units from a small trailer up to a class A.....Ask questions...lots of questions...that's how DW and I learned...campers are some of the friendliest folks and always happy to lend a hand....

Superslif 11-29-2013 08:59 AM

:welcome:

First off you will find trailers ranging in price from 10k to 50k (new), slides or no slides, 7' wide to 8-1/2' wide, 15' to 38' long....

If I were starting out, personally I would never get a RV without at least one slideout. Even a small slide such as for just the couch just opens up the whole interior. You have to like the layout first, and your "price point" will determine on the quality spectrum what you pay, either used or new.

Also know first off what you can tow....Do not let a dealer say "you can tow this".

We will call ourselves semi-professional RVers. Have camped about 480 nights in the last 9 season while in our 2nd Aerolite hybrid. Before that we had maybe 250 nights in a pop-up. And before that maybe 200 nights in a tent.

When we bought the new (99' Coleman) pop-up I only had a tow vehicle to tow that. Looking back, if I had the tow vehicle to tow a trailer rather than a pup, I would have gone straight to a hybrid or regular RV trailer. The pup was good for getting off the ground, but for not much more $$$ you get 5 times the storage and livability with a hybrid.

99' Coleman pup

2005 24' hybrid

2013 25' hybrid

Petro 11-29-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg1965 (Post 1825566)
Hello to the RV world. We're newly transitioned "empty nesters" and strongly considering buying a trailer for camping and traveling -actually more like reveling- in our new found freedom:). Looking for insights and trailer evaluations and have found great info here. Thanks

Welcome to iRV2. We are glad you joined us. Browse the forums that interest you and don't be afraid to ask questions. As you have been told this is a great site with members who like to help when they can. I am sorry I can't give you any advice on camping trailers as I started out with a class A. Enjoy the forum;

Don

JohnRR 11-29-2013 09:08 AM

:welcome:
Enjoy your search.

Medico 11-29-2013 03:51 PM

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...298df81aed.gif Welcome and glad to meet you!

EngineerMike 11-29-2013 04:19 PM

Travel if needed to someplace that has a large "RV show." You'll find a plethora of brands & models.
Or rent something & just start out, also preferably some place you can survey the RV option landscape. Quartzsite AZ has a big show each year, and nearby Yuma has a load of dealers. The big show is near the end of January which is coming up shortly.
Its easy to compare when there are lots of options stacked side by side.

IIWMI'd not short myself on insulation, heating & cooling, storage volume and a good bed (you may need to replace the OEM mattress if buying new). After that, its up to you what you like.

OrngTrillium 11-29-2013 07:15 PM

Welcome to the forums, if these guys put up with me you have nothing to worry about. Jump right in and ask away, use search and of course check out all the manufacturer sites. I've still got a decade of two to reach your point though. If only I had the freedom, but hey life's a journey and we all need to enjoy the stage we're at. If you can do it, jump in once you find the unit you love. Oh and it'll also be an excuse to add all those toys to your tow vehicle you always wanted to add.

Chiefbvfd 11-30-2013 05:57 AM

Welcome aboard...:)