iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Toads and Motorhome Related Towing (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/)
-   -   2014 Cherokee bad ride dingy (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/2014-cherokee-bad-ride-dingy-186152.html)

judgebobk 12-11-2013 02:38 PM

2014 Cherokee bad ride dingy

I recently purchased a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited with the Active Drive II suspension to use as a dingy. This suspension was the only one that can be used for flat towing. After the first hundred miles I was ready to get rid of the vehicle. I was not aware when I ordered the car it comes with a "OFF ROAD" suspension which produces an incredibly rough ride for my 66 year old body. Speaking to Jeep produced a series of comments that it was my fault and I should have test driven the vehicle. Here is a $40,000 luxury SUV aimed as a tow vehicle for the RV Boomers and it has an Off Road suspension?
My advice is pass on this car unless you want a very rough ride. The car is amazing in many other ways but the ride diminishes any benefit from the electronics or appearance. :mad:

JMonroe 12-11-2013 02:44 PM

Just curious as to what you are comparing it to. What was your last toad?

logansrun 12-11-2013 02:45 PM

Thanks for the update....looking at buying one, but sure don't want a rock wagon!!!!

pagosajoe 12-11-2013 02:46 PM

The Up Country/Off Road suspension has been an option at least since we bought our 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Yup - we test drove it before we bought it when we lived in Alaska, and we owned it for over 10 years - I'm 68.

Are you admitting that you did NOT test drive a Jeep with that option before putting down the deposit, judgebobk? Sympathy may be hard to come by...I agree with Jeep.

And, welcome to IRV2

The Okie 12-11-2013 02:49 PM

Move up to the Grand Cherokee if you want something to tow and a fantastic ride. Our new 2014 provides a great ride and it didn't cost much more than your cherokee

SarahW 12-11-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by judgebobk (Post 1841203)
Speaking to Jeep produced a series of comments that it was my fault and I should have test driven the vehicle.

I believe I have isolated the problem. :laugh:

As for this being a vehicle "targeted for RV boomers," what makes you think so? Our Wrangler has the worst ride ever, but we knew that going in and love it anyway.

Sorry for your disappointment, but as you said...you should have taken that test drive.

RVThere 12-11-2013 02:52 PM

Do you have the Quadra-Lift system on the Jeep? It is supposed to have 5 settings so you can soften the ride from off road to normal.

rream 12-11-2013 04:54 PM

Posted on Good Sam also and I disagreed there too.

I took delivery 4 weeks ago of mine

Quite happy with the ride, I have 1500 miles on it now including a 500 mile round trip last week to Iowa.

ImagineIF 12-11-2013 05:13 PM

I had a 2011 JGC with the V-8, which I was inaccurately told was the only engine option for the transmission I needed for wheels down towing. I like the car, except for fuel mileage. The one thing I hated was that it had a surge when being lightly loaded or going up a hill. The regional service manager agreed it was a problem until they couldn't fix it. At that point it became normal operation. After 3 software updates in the course of a year and no fix I traded it in for a 2012 Ford Explorer. Better ride and much better fuel mileage.

judgebobk 12-12-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nwokhunter (Post 1841225)
Move up to the Grand Cherokee if you want something to tow and a fantastic ride. Our new 2014 provides a great ride and it didn't cost much more than your cherokee

My wife did not want the larger car she opted for the Cherokee. The one we test drove was fine but had the Active Drive I Transmission. You are correct, it would not have been much more for the full size grand Cherokee.

judgebobk 12-12-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rream (Post 1841332)
Posted on Good Sam also and I disagreed there too.

I took delivery 4 weeks ago of mine

Quite happy with the ride, I have 1500 miles on it now including a 500 mile round trip last week to Iowa.

Do you have the Active Drive I or II. On asphalt roads ours was fine but look out anywhere else.

judgebobk 12-12-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RVThere (Post 1841228)
Do you have the Quadra-Lift system on the Jeep? It is supposed to have 5 settings so you can soften the ride from off road to normal.

This is not an option of the Cherokee maybe the Grand Cherokee.

MNAZMike 12-13-2013 12:30 PM

My understanding is Active Drive 1 is not "towable" 4 down.
I have been misinformed in the past!

MNAZMIKE

judgebobk 12-13-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNAZMike (Post 1843410)
My understanding is Active Drive 1 is not "towable" 4 down.
I have been misinformed in the past!

MNAZMIKE

There has been a lot of misinformation which is why I ended up with the off road suspension. Chrysler s response is to stick their head in the sand which is unfortunate because they are very close ti a really great quality product. They Active Drive I has a normal duty suspension.