iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   New Member Check-In (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/)
-   -   Greetings from Japan (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/greetings-from-japan-187381.html)

kenn_chan 12-25-2013 09:06 AM

Greetings from Japan

Hello all.

Former Marine, currently stationed at Commander Fleet Activities in Yokosuka Japan as a civilian. :D

Just bought me a little towed RV so that over the next couple of summers I can take the family out and about for a couple of weeks here and there.

My truck is Henry Fords Anvil, a 2001 F150 SCREW 4x4. The trailer i bought is a unit made in Europe to Japanese specs by Towa motors called a windmill 345 (have not a clue on what the 345 means) :confused:

Big Shout out to this forum as five minutes into browsing it and I already had answers to several questions.

Whence Came You?

Ken Morgan

bdickson 12-25-2013 09:10 AM

:welcome: and thank you for your service!

Ed-Sommers 12-25-2013 10:18 AM

I was stationed in Japan for six years, but was on Minesweepers in Sasebo. While I understand the the roads in the Yokosuka/Tokyo area are large enough to have a large vehicle, and even pull a trailer, but the large majority of the country is difficult for anything other than small cars and motorcycles and bicycles.

I do not recall ever seeing even a small trailer in Sasebo, let alone an RV, but then again, the Tokyo area is different!

Good luck to you.

Ed
USN Ret

Arch Hoagland 12-25-2013 10:23 AM

Are there many RV parks in Japan?

Wayne M 12-25-2013 10:36 AM

Semper Fi!

Welcome. Much to be gained by joining this forum.

My last overseas tour was 3 years in Oki.

Pepper2 12-25-2013 11:55 AM

Army brat here. Spent a couple years in Okinawa back in the 50's. Post a picture, nice to see what others are camping with. Welcome!

MSHappyCampers 12-25-2013 12:49 PM

Hi Ken! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you found us! :)

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless! :thumb::D

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR! :dance::dance:

JohnRR 12-25-2013 04:25 PM

:welcome:

smiller 12-25-2013 04:34 PM

I'd like to visit Japan in an RV but I'm a little concerned about availability of fuel along the way. Maybe with an auxiliary tank I could make it to Hawaii and top up there.

Medico 12-25-2013 07:14 PM

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...298df81aed.gif Welcome and glad to meet you!

JudyH 12-25-2013 07:28 PM

Welcome to the best information exchange for RVers. I hope to see you posting more about your experiences with your RV in Japan. We love to learn about new places. And yes Thanks for your service to our country.

kenn_chan 12-26-2013 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 1857303)
:welcome: and thank you for your service!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers (Post 1857554)
Hi Ken! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you found us! :)

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless! :thumb::D

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR! :dance::dance:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRR (Post 1857687)
:welcome:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medico (Post 1857852)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JudyH (Post 1857863)
Welcome to the best information exchange for RVers. I hope to see you posting more about your experiences with your RV in Japan. We love to learn about new places. And yes Thanks for your service to our country.

BD, MS, JRR, Med, and Judy, thaks for the welcome. 2 hours of scanning across the various forums here answered a lot of questions already, but it is sure nice to be welcomed in :thumb:

Ken

kenn_chan 12-26-2013 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers (Post 1857394)
I was stationed in Japan for six years, but was on Minesweepers in Sasebo. While I understand the the roads in the Yokosuka/Tokyo area are large enough to have a large vehicle, and even pull a trailer, but the large majority of the country is difficult for anything other than small cars and motorcycles and bicycles.

I do not recall ever seeing even a small trailer in Sasebo, let alone an RV, but then again, the Tokyo area is different!

Good luck to you.

Ed
USN Ret

Ed, the "Men of the wooden hulls" (Excuse if misworded) are a great bunch bunch of guys, I had several friends who were stationed on Minesweeps at Sasebo over the years.

Full on (US Style) motor Homes are extrememly rare, and I have only seen a few on the road. Most of the Japanese convert a full size toyota van with bunks and flip out stoves etc for camping.

My trailer is about the same length and width as my supercrew F150, so its not really that big.....But its Mine!!!!:D this was Cash on the barrell purchase, so even NFCU does not own a part of it. (though they do own 1/2 of my truck ......snickers.....)

Cheers

Ken

kenn_chan 12-26-2013 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland (Post 1857399)
Are there many RV parks in Japan?

Ed, here they are called Aauto Campu Jyo's they do not have most of the amenties that US campsites offer for RVer's as it difficult to own an RV here, you have to have a huge driveway in order to get a parking permit, si its more of a luxury thing then an everyday thing like in the states.

I think that there are litterally maybe 5 or 6 total in Japan that have power and water hook ups, so its more of a boon docking thing than an organised RV park is.

I primarily bought this because with two young daughters "Kayla and Leah", two cats Gawdzirra Cat (GC) and Himeko (Princess) and My wonderful Wife Emiko, it costs two much to go on extended vacations in Japan.

they charge by the head when you rent a hotel room, so even at the cheaper places it might cost four hundred a night, and the accomodations can be spartan (thats without the cats)(now dare me and ask how much for the cats...)

so as My daughters grow up I would like them to experience as much of Japan as possible on the cheap, and save the big bucks for when we go to the states on Vacation (so I can rent an RV there) he he he.

Ken