iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   National RV Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/)
-   -   Hydraulic jack pump Question (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/hydraulic-jack-pump-question-189515.html)

Gerryl 01-13-2014 05:00 PM

Hydraulic jack pump Question

I am newbee to rving. We did own a pull behind camper for a few years just to take to the Dover NASCAR race. We meet some friends who both have class A’s. This summer we bought a 2000 34’ Seabreeze and love it (as soon as we got most of the bugs out).
I still have a problem with left rear jack. It won’t come the whole way up. I have been able to get it up by putting a jack under it and continually hitting the ‘Jacks Up’ button. I want to check the fluid level but don’t know where the main reservoir is. Could someone help me with the location of this?
:confused:

Fred and Bonnie 01-13-2014 07:10 PM

Knowing your chassis builder would help, however, most likely up front in the engine compartment. The jack rams can be sprayed with silicone to ease the operation. I spray mine several times a year, just because.

Fred

Mr_D 01-13-2014 07:28 PM

And, conversely, I have never sprayed an HWH ram and we're on our third MH with them and 12 model years with this one.

Fred and Bonnie 01-14-2014 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_D (Post 1883248)
And, conversely, I have never sprayed an HWH ram and we're on our third MH with them and 12 model years with this one.

Yes, but these are PowerGear Jacks.

Fred

wa8yxm 01-14-2014 10:05 AM

RTFM.. (read the factory manual) Likely it speaks of lubricating the jacks by spraying with Silicon spary....

now many REAR jacks (And some front) have a ZERK fitting, a shot of White Lithium grease in the zerk can help too. (In which case you can leave off the spray)

Really helps on mine.

Gerryl 01-14-2014 10:23 AM

It is a Ford chassis with ‘Power Gear” jacks. I can’t see any grease zerks on the jacks. I have been spraying them with heavy duty silicone each time I use them.

mel s 01-14-2014 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie (Post 1883217)
Knowing your chassis builder would help, however, most likely up front in the engine compartment. The jack rams can be sprayed with silicone to ease the operation. I spray mine several times a year, just because.

Fred

Fred and Gerryl
Depending upon the coach the jack pump/reservoir could be most anywhere......(on my coach it is on the curb side, rear of the mid-entry door).

I suspect that Gerryl has a weak, broken or missing jack "retracting spring".

BTW, RVA, (the maker of my jacks), recommends lubricating the extended jacks with WD-40.

Mel
'96 Safari

chboone 01-16-2014 12:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The pump and reservoir will be in front of the radiator on the passenger side. Just in case you don't have I have attached the service manual for the jack. There is a trouble shooting guide in it.

Chuck

Gerryl 01-16-2014 10:12 AM

Thank You

Thanks for the replies and the Service manual. Will get to checking it out as soon as the weather breaks here in Lancaster County Pa.

RV Rehder 01-20-2014 09:17 AM

The 2006 Tropical, Power Gear cylinders have a grease jerk at the lower end of the cylinder. Grease fixed a similar problem I had. It is often overlooked by service personnel.

1oldMarine 01-29-2014 04:37 PM

Older Power gear cylinders don't have the zerk. Something else to look at is the hydraulic valve at the pump, if it isn't opening (possible corrosion on the connector? or stuck valve) you won't get full retraction. The fact that you can pump it up, however, would indicate that you have a spring problem. My rear levelers have internal springs, if they break you have to have it rebuilt.