iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   What is the typical tow rating for a Class A gas (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/what-is-the-typical-tow-rating-for-a-class-a-gas-193116.html)

ie2special 02-15-2014 06:31 AM

What is the typical tow rating for a Class A gas

35 footer. I am aware that you must load and weigh it etc. but we are still shopping and I saw how inexpensive the gassers are and thought that maybe we could do one of those and have a residence in VA and Florida.

Thing is I would want to have a car with us when we travel. I have a Lincoln MKT and Hubby has a heavy Prius.

If we had a cheap enough one we wouldn't have a full time living load in it.

Just another though I am working through but was hoping some "means, medians, and modes" would help :)

JMonroe 02-15-2014 06:42 AM

Typically, I'd expect a 35' motorhome to have a 5k lb hitch and tow rating. Remember though, that's only 1/2 the story. You also need to be cognizant of the gross combined weight rating. As example, if your rig weighs 26,000 lbs loaded and has a 30k lb GCWR, you're limited to 4k tow capacity, regardless of the hitch or max tow rating.

Roger G 02-15-2014 06:47 AM

Most current model gassers have a hitch tow rating of 5000 lbs. I have saw older models with less than 5000 rating but never anything over that. The Lincoln is probably pushing that limit but the Prius should be well under that amount, check your owners manual. I'm not very familiar but aren't the MKZ 's AWD, if so it would require a trailer to get all four wheels off the ground.

CLIFFTALL 02-15-2014 06:49 AM

You'll find the rating to be 4000 lbs on some older models.

wa8yxm 02-15-2014 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMonroe (Post 1928081)
Typically, I'd expect a 35' motorhome to have a 5k lb hitch and tow rating. Remember though, that's only 1/2 the story. You also need to be cognizant of the gross combined weight rating. As example, if your rig weighs 26,000 lbs loaded and has a 30k lb GCWR, you're limited to 4k tow capacity, regardless of the hitch or max tow rating.

I could not have said it better... One more thing.

IF, like me, you use a drop/rise hitch adapter that 5,0000 can become 4,000, 3,000 or even 2,000 or less downright fast.

tropical36 02-15-2014 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ie2special (Post 1928070)
35 footer. I am aware that you must load and weigh it etc. but we are still shopping and I saw how inexpensive the gassers are and thought that maybe we could do one of those and have a residence in VA and Florida.

Thing is I would want to have a car with us when we travel. I have a Lincoln MKT and Hubby has a heavy Prius.

If we had a cheap enough one we wouldn't have a full time living load in it.

Just another though I am working through but was hoping some "means, medians, and modes" would help :)

After other obvious factors, it usually boils down to the transmission with GCVW, with Allison leading the way and followed by Ford. You won't get much out of an older GM trannys, like the TH400, 4L80E or 4L85E. Still they're good and you can either disconnect the toad for those long 6% grades or just pull over and run under 25mph in low for a 25% weight gain. Adding a larger oil cooler and/or a fan on the cooler would have to help, as well. Would also consider a 2 qt. filter for the engine oil as well.

Rockwood27 02-15-2014 11:24 AM

I dolly tow our '10 Prius. I have a 5K hitch. With a 22K GVWR (not weighed) and a 26K GCWR I could tow from 4K to 5K, depending on MH actual weight.

ie2special 02-15-2014 05:53 PM

Good point about the AWD, thank you! We wanted to be able to take it for when we travel in the mountains :)

The MKT is AWD for sure!

jollyjim 02-16-2014 08:57 AM

Be careful. The manual on our gasser class A said the tow rating was 5000 lbs.
I was under the MH checking some stuff out and found a sticker on the hitch that said it had a rating of 3500 lbs. This actually limited our selection of toad for that MH. I guess I could have had a different hitch put on, but didn't want the additional expense.

Later we ran across a guy that had a T-Bird he was towing up on a substantial trailer behind a gasser class A. I went over to talk with him about it and noticed that the gusset welds on his hitch were separating. Had he towed it much further it would have separated from the coach. I showed it to him and he had a mobile welder come out and reinforce the gussets. Even with a heavier hitch he may have been pushing the limit of the rig's tow capacity.

ie2special 02-18-2014 12:15 PM

I definitely want to have more than enough, not a fan of constant worry