iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Important stuff- The Grill.. (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/important-stuff-the-grill-195619.html)

Virgil Caine 03-08-2014 06:53 PM

Important stuff- The Grill..

The wife and I just bought our first motorhome. It's a 98 Itasca Sunrise. I imagine we'll update/upgrade or just change once we figure out what we like and what we don't, but this will be our second home for at least a year of weekends and holidays.

We got a good deal on this fixer upper of a motorhome, even after the 6 grand we sunk in it afterwards and we're ready to hit the road next week for our first trip. As yet though, I haven't figured out one of the most important things. The grill. :) Obviously, the Big Green Egg can't come with us. Does anybody have any advice on a good portable grill or smoker?

If I put this in the wrong place, I apologize. I'm new here.

SarahW 03-08-2014 07:00 PM

:wavey: Howdy and welcome. I just have to ask...did you serve on the Danville train?? :D Let's see some pics of the new RV!!

We carry a small charcoal grill with us, but many times use the grills in the campgrounds.

charliej 03-08-2014 07:06 PM

Well I did it cheaply, till I decide to up grade. Just got small Weber. I think it's 18" Dia. Round. I use two bungy cords to keep it closed and keep it in a garbage bag. I also use a metal starter chimney, the kind you add coals and a few news paper pages under to get the coals started. Works for us.

ruffian 03-08-2014 07:16 PM

Went to Lowes and spent $25 on a small (6 hamburger pattie) grill. It uses small throw-away propane bottles. One bottle cooks many hamburgers. Will have to throw it away after 4-5 years, but will have gotten our money's worth.

jtermini30 03-08-2014 07:39 PM

We have two on board; propane we hook to the coach and 18" Webber charcoal. I can't remember the last time we used the propane as we love the Webber so much! Spend an extra $10 and purchase a charcoal chimney to start the charcoal!

MoHillbilly 03-08-2014 07:41 PM

I went with the O-grill from camping world. I like the way it stores. Bought the extended protection as well since I had a discount coupon and it was on sale as well. Was close to buying one of the weber q's and have several friends who really like them.

Virgil Caine 03-08-2014 07:44 PM

I still have some more work to do before picture time :) and despite my name I've never been on a train. We're Band fan's though!

Sounds like the little Weber might be the ticket. I've had a big Weber charcoal grill before and it was pretty awesome.

Thanks for the replies!

Virgil Caine 03-08-2014 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoHillbilly (Post 1959773)
I went with the O-grill from camping world. I like the way it stores. Bought the extended protection as well since I had a discount coupon and it was on sale as well. Was close to buying one of the weber q's and have several friends who really like them.

Hmm. I'd never heard of the O Grill. It looks promising too. I'd have to learn how to cook with gas again, but sometimes quicker is better, right?

Thanks!

hoss1045 03-08-2014 07:51 PM

You know they have a mini green egg, travel size. Don't know the price.

Okrver 03-08-2014 07:52 PM

We use the small Weber
Weber Weber 516501 Q 120 Gas Grill

Virgil Caine 03-08-2014 07:59 PM

[QUOTE=hoss1045;1959788]You know they have a mini green egg, travel size. Don't know the price.[/QUOTE

I thought about that too. It's about $600 for a 10" smoker. It weighs about 40 lbs. We might wind up with that eventually, but until we figure some things out it might be a tad unweildy.

I love the Egg though.

whitetop 03-08-2014 08:08 PM

We have the 18" Webber charcoal,and the Q-100 propane.Both work great for us and would buy again.Happy Grilling:o

Virgil Caine 03-08-2014 08:15 PM

I just bought the Weber Jumbo Joe.

Amazon.com: Weber 1211001 Jumbo Joe Gold Charcoal Grill, 18-Inch: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I should probably go ahead and get a propane grill too, just for the convenience of it.

Thanks all!

jeffwit 03-08-2014 08:25 PM

Full disclaimer here, I am a grill snob. Have a Green Egg at the S&B, and will never have anything else (at least in a permanent location). I have the Weber Q-200 in the RV and, frankly, I am underwhelmed. I have trouble getting all the outlets in the ring to light, and then it seems I cannot get the grill as hot as I would like it. However, it is adequate for what I use it for and doesn't take up a ton of space.
There is at least one guy on here who has a Traeger pellet smoker that he travels with. Maybe he'll chime in. I'm not sure you can do a high-temperature sear with that, though.

chuckftboy 03-08-2014 08:42 PM

I use the Q-100 and like it alot. All aluminum with a cast iron grate. It will handle 4 nice steaks or 6 burgers and is easy to clean. I usally use the 14 oz disposible bottles unless we setup for more than a weekend. Longer stays, I just connect to the RV tank. I have the stand for it and it folds for storage.

tankcj 03-08-2014 08:48 PM

We have the cuisenart all foods roll away and have not used it yet but it does fold to fit in the basement and when I first fired it up (to burn off all of the chemicals) it got up to 625 degrees! Unlike the Coleman, you can cook with the lid closed.

outthere 03-08-2014 09:16 PM

I have a LODGE in my MH. It's cast iron, made in the USA! A little heavy, but it sears/grills great and with cast iron it holds the heat.. My home grill is a PRIMO, also made in the USA, Like a green egg, but oval shape for indirect and direct. google these 2 products, quality stuff!

Roger G 03-08-2014 09:45 PM

I'm a green egg guy myself but they are too heavy and prone to breakage for a lot of travel. I have a Big Steel Keg, it is a double walled insulated metal version of the egg. It is the same mfg as the Acorn grills you see a Lowes, Chargrilled I think. The BSK comes with a receiver hitch attachment, it slides off the wheeled base and slides in a 2 inch receiver hitch. I can swap it by myself but it's bulk makes it difficult to line the hitch tubes up by myself. Me and the Mrs can do it easily. The base goes underneath. It is the size of a large egg and comes with most all accessories , double rack, drip pan, removable side tables, and ash tool for about the same price as a bare medium egg. I have a medium and an XL egg at home and the BSK cooks just as well, it's just a little different in how you control the air and vent to regulate temps. I have cooked a brisket for 22 hrs on it with the help of a BBQ Guru temp controller. I have a double hitch and the Keg goes in the top and the toad or trailer goes in the bottom. The keg weighs around 50 lbs but has big handles on each side to facilitate handling.

Old Bounder 03-08-2014 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckftboy (Post 1959852)
I use the Q-100 and like it alot. All aluminum with a cast iron grate. It will handle 4 nice steaks or 6 burgers and is easy to clean. I usally use the 14 oz disposible bottles unless we setup for more than a weekend. Longer stays, I just connect to the RV tank. I have the stand for it and it folds for storage.

I do the same with the Q-120, but I set it on a small prep table (no stand). I love it.

scenic route 03-08-2014 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckftboy (Post 1959852)

Another vote for the Weber Q-100. We use it with a 20 lb tank and both fit nicely into the front storage bay without taking up much room. It's easy to clean with the grease tray and I can set it on a picnic table without burning a hole in the table cloth. It also fits well on a wooden folding TV tray we have on board when there's no picnic table on site.

PushedAround 03-08-2014 10:29 PM

If it's just the 2 of you, the little Weber is great. Takes just a handful of coals and is ready in 15 minutes. Only costs $29 at Home Depot, so getting a new one every few years is no big deal.

tankcj 03-08-2014 10:43 PM

I still can't get used to that name "green egg". My family has used the 'kimado' for over 40 years. Back then we bought them at an import/export store for next to nothing! We never imagined they would be so popular.

johnhicks 03-09-2014 10:34 AM

I use a Weber Jumbo Joe while traveling but next year I'm going to find a reasonable way to use the Weber Bullet as both grill and smoker. I've smoked a couple of things in the little Joe but temperature really can't be controlled very well.

StevenNSteph 03-09-2014 12:37 PM

I never wanted the hassle of charcoal, didn't like the idea of carrying extra propane tanks (hooking it up to the coach is an option), so I opted for electric because it suits my cooking style (and I get the campground to pay for it's operation). If you mostly use your grill for smoking, rotisserie work, seafood, vegetables and light grilling applications this unit works great.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meco-1500-...Grill/12441311

It's downside is it doesn't generate high heat, so if your cooking style is all about 450+ degrees heat than it's not for you.

danmarsh50 03-09-2014 08:00 PM

I purchased the coleman roadtrip propane grill. Wish I would have bought the Weber Q series.

KTM251ss 03-10-2014 08:13 AM

Weber.com - Weber® Q® 1000™

I got this Weber Q 1000 before our trip to FL, and i really like it. Easy to cook on, easy to clean. I bought a flat griddle plate for it and that is great for cooking bacon, vegetables, etc. i got it through Amazon for like $169, I also got a conversion hose for it so I can use the larger propane tank instead. I got a cover for it too. We leave it outside on the picnic table.

Lued 03-10-2014 08:21 AM

Weber Q Gas Grill

skstrickland 03-10-2014 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliej (Post 1959715)
Well I did it cheaply, till I decide to up grade. Just got small Weber. I think it's 18" Dia. Round. I use two bungy cords to keep it closed and keep it in a garbage bag. I also use a metal starter chimney, the kind you add coals and a few news paper pages under to get the coals started. Works for us.

This our approach as well. Except we keep grill, newspaper, chimney & charcoal in a tote. We use charcoal to grill 90% of the time whether in our coach or sticks & brick

RVRon 03-10-2014 08:52 AM

Another vote here for the Weber Q . I did however have the same problem as the OP regarding all the holes in the propane tube not igniting and therefore not generating high enough heat. Solved this by simply cleaning the holes with a pin and now it's back to working perfectly again.

bruceisla 03-10-2014 09:24 AM

You are going to get lot's of opinions. Mostly, you'll need to decide on propane or charcoal. Personally, I'm a propane guy ... because it's easy. I carry a grill and a 20lb tank (tank is in a "stabilizer") with a 6ft. hose/adapter. Everything fits in about 2/3 of an average compartment. I use the portable tank so I can setup anywhere ... including taking everything on an "outing". I like simple ... and relatively inexpensive.

wa8yxm 03-10-2014 10:12 AM

When someoen says Buy This ________. there is going to be someone else say "NO, Buy That _______"

Howoever when someone says I have a Colman Road Trip and I find that the burners do not really produce enough heat.. LISTEN TO ME.

I like the grill, but it's a bit anemic for my tastes, could use a few more BTU's.

PushedAround 03-10-2014 10:18 AM

Coleman Road Trip? Good for breakfast (with the griddle plates), other stuff not so much. I'll stick with the Weber Little Joe for that great taste.

MarksFam 03-10-2014 11:55 AM

Add another vote to the weber q series. I use a q220 with the propane hose attachment running to a 2.5lb tank. Just need to make sure you clean the holes out everynow and then as others have stated to ensure adequete and even heat. Works like a charm.

JohnBoyToo 03-10-2014 12:08 PM

We got the Weber Q-100 after 4 rv friends all recommended Weber...

While we DO love it, wish we would have gone for the next level or two up to get the flip out side shelves now, but still works well on the folding cart...

deandec 03-10-2014 12:10 PM

We use an old Weber Jumbo Joe primarily because we normally cook with charcoal.

We also have the Blue Coleman Roadtrip that is about 10 years old. We use it more like a camp stove or for a quick burger.

Fortunately, we are able to close the Coleman's cover while cooking low profile meats. And so when charcoal is prohibited, we can still do pork, fish, or steak with a covered grill and with good taste.

bruceisla 03-10-2014 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deandec (Post 1961978)
We use an old Weber Jumbo Joe primarily because we normally cook with charcoal.

We also have the Blue Coleman Roadtrip that is about 10 years old. We use it more like a camp stove or for a quick burger.

Fortunately, we are able to close the Coleman's cover while cooking low profile meats. And so when charcoal is prohibited, we can still do pork, fish, or steak with a covered grill and with good taste.

Yup ... depends on what you want to cook and how easily. The Coleman works fine for most dinners for 2. If you want to char broil an elephant you might need a different grill ...

SuperDad 03-10-2014 04:48 PM

We love our Coleman road trip grill. It's going on 9 years old now and still works great.

Amazon.com: Coleman 9941-768 Road Trip Grill LX (Blue): Sports & Outdoors

bruceisla 03-10-2014 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperDad (Post 1962284)
We love our Coleman road trip grill. It's going on 9 years old now and still works great.

Amazon.com: Coleman 9941-768 Road Trip Grill LX (Blue): Sports & Outdoors

Yup ... I'm not sure what all the hatin' is about. Mine does everything I expect. Cooks 2 steaks, 2 huge burgers, some fish ... and doesn't set anything on fire. Cleans up and packs easily. Will it last 20 years? ... I don't care ... I'll last far less than that.

The only negative I found is I need to swap to an open grate for pots/pans/wok .... no big deal. You don't HAVE to but it makes things easier.

homecan1 03-10-2014 05:28 PM

Like many others, we carry both a small propane grill and a larger charcoal grill. We have an "Aussie Walk-About" charcoal grill. It is full size but folds relatively flat for storage. $49.95 at Home Depot or Lowes. They are good quality and generally last us for several years. Only use propane when in parks that don't allow charcoal (rarely).

nhjoe 03-11-2014 06:37 AM

We use Camp Chef 3 burner.

https://www.campchef.com/stoves/16-co...ner-stove.html

wa8yxm 03-11-2014 10:36 AM

Just entered the Better Homes and Gardens daily contest.

Today's prize is a BHG Propane Grill, Stainless tabletop type fairly high BTU's. if I win the price will clearly be right.

not sure who makes it but .. Well.. I've seen several of that design.

98FPA 03-13-2014 08:01 AM

We purchased the Weber Jumbo Joe last fall after we purchased our 98 Pace Arrow. We looked around quite a bit to find something that would fit into our storage compartment etc. The Jumbo Joe is 18" round and made of a lot heavier metal which should last longer than a lot of the smaller cheaper ones around. We bought ours at Target for, if I recall correctly - year end clearance, for just under $50.00. Of course we are charcoal grilling steak people. While travelling I just place it back in the box it came in (cut down version) along with the charcoal fluid and all other accessories we use with it.

homeless 03-13-2014 08:18 AM

I like the MHP gas bbq pits with the Stainless and Aluminum parts and the bricks you put in it. It last forever and the closest thing to char coal I have found....

spritz 03-13-2014 11:59 AM

We use the little 18 inch Weber Charcoal Grill because of our basement storage openings are like 12".:mad: Won't fit thru.
I wash & dry (anal I know :nonono:) after each use put it back in the box into the rear closet in Bathroom next to the charcoal in a plastic 2-3 gallon container (old cheese puff container) no mess no smell. Lighter fluid in basement secured.
We also use a gas 2 burner Coleman stove, outside (Frying or Boiling)

Steaks Served @ 5 :rofl::rofl::rofl:
:thumb:
tb

Redridge 03-13-2014 12:40 PM

Love our Coleman Roadtrip

Amazon.com: Coleman RoadTrip LXX Grill: Sports & Outdoors

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...1d88cae645.jpg

CJ7ole 03-13-2014 12:48 PM

Weber Q100. Takes a while to heat, but once it does, it will char meat better than my charbroil at home. Have it hooked to the big tank with a hose.

Tinmantc 03-13-2014 06:15 PM

Traeger

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffwit (Post 1959827)
Full disclaimer here, I am a grill snob. Have a Green Egg at the S&B, and will never have anything else (at least in a permanent location). I have the Weber Q-200 in the RV and, frankly, I am underwhelmed. I have trouble getting all the outlets in the ring to light, and then it seems I cannot get the grill as hot as I would like it. However, it is adequate for what I use it for and doesn't take up a ton of space.
There is at least one guy on here who has a Traeger pellet smoker that he travels with. Maybe he'll chime in. I'm not sure you can do a high-temperature sear with that, though.

I have 2 Traegers at home and lake property and love them. Thinking of getting the Traeger PTG (small suitcase model) for the MH. A little smoky on start up and wasn't sure if that would violate park rules.

TC

jtermini30 03-13-2014 06:21 PM

When I start the charcoal with the chimney it's very smoky and I occasionally get "looks", but no complaints. Is a very short term issue!

I also use am electric smoker and never get a complaint, however, in think the entire campground is salivating !