iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Fleetwood Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/)
-   -   Strongly considering an RV sooner than we thought (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/strongly-considering-an-rv-sooner-than-we-thought-196501.html)

ie2special 03-16-2014 01:16 PM

Strongly considering an RV sooner than we thought

We've been actively looking for a future purchase and love the Entegra and the American Coach but we aren't ready to plunk that much coin down since it would only be a weekend or two a month.

We are back and forth and want to stay near 100K for this purchase. Admittedly we are snobby with fit and finish so we would like a lot of bang for our buck. Hubby is scared of used, I want more for my money and love used :)

Regardless there is a model that has peaked my interest. A FRED Bounder classic with Bunks.

What are the advantages of the diesel over the gas? I am familiar with DP and gassers but I don't know how to decide between these two options.

Any help appreciated, it is one of the decisions we are trying to make :)

ie2special 03-16-2014 01:20 PM

I have seen that there is a different chassis on the diesel and transmission.

Everything else is the same.

The diesel has less horsepower, but more torque AND that torque is available at only 1250 RPM versus 3000 some for the Gas.

bobandshaz 03-16-2014 01:53 PM

Front Engine Diesel (FRED) - Type A motorhomes - FMCA Motorhome Forums

RV Tech Library - The FRED Chassis

https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/chassis/fred.htmhttps://www.rvtechlibrary.com/chassis/fred.htm

Some info on FRED

ie2special 03-16-2014 01:54 PM

Reading them now

abbottfamily 03-16-2014 01:56 PM

For what it is worth:

We just purchased a 2015 Discovery 40G which is the bunkhouse model. The main reason we chose diesel over gas is simply longevity. A gasoline engine will last literally 1/3 of the life of a DP. Not to mention the power and towing capability, and Cummins makes one of the best diesel engines on the market. We have yet to take delivery of our coach so I cant yet speak of how the ride is. Good luck and as my brother said to me when we decided to move up from our fifth wheel to a DP....... ENJOY THE PROCESS!

ie2special 03-16-2014 02:01 PM

Being that this would be in the running against 75K price gas models I am really lost :(

I like the torque at low RPM. It will be a weekender and a a used a couple full weeks a year.

Mostly, to drive to Florida pulling a toad and going to nearby state/national parks.

abbottfamily 03-16-2014 02:25 PM

Thought

Have you all thought of a fifth wheel? That is what we did for the first couple of years. We had a Dutchman Voltage 43' pulled behind our F350. You get all of the benefits of a diesel and the comforts of a large rig, plus you have a truck to drive when you unhitch at the campground.

Tha_Rooster 03-16-2014 02:55 PM

It sounds in part you are tring to justify the expense,don't try. We are also weekend and vacation use MH owners first one used the last 2 new. My best advise is to test drive different chassis for power,ride and interior noise.

ie2special 03-16-2014 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abbottfamily (Post 1970177)
Have you all thought of a fifth wheel? That is what we did for the first couple of years. We had a Dutchman Voltage 43' pulled behind our F350. You get all of the benefits of a diesel and the comforts of a large rig, plus you have a truck to drive when you unhitch at the campground.

We considered it but we don't want a large truck, as we live in a city.

ie2special 03-16-2014 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster (Post 1970211)
It sounds in part you are tring to justify the expense,don't try. We are also weekend and vacation use MH owners first one used the last 2 new. My best advise is to test drive different chassis for power,ride and interior noise.

We have come to the conclusion that it is not able to be justified.

:)

We just do not want to overspend since we will be getting a fancier model in a few years.

The General 03-16-2014 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ie2special (Post 1970238)
We have come to the conclusion that it is not able to be justified.

:)

We just do not want to overspend since we will be getting a fancier model in a few years.

I can tell you from our 2008 Bounder 35E (36') Gasser with a 362 HP 30 valve V10 Ford engine, that it has an excellent tow gear which is very similar to the diesel brake. Power to spare going uphill in CA. with all the mountainous terrain and control going down in TOW gear with a car behind.
Buy a slightly used gasser, get used to driving a big rig and, in the future,
purchase a diesel as we are ready to do.

ie2special 03-16-2014 07:39 PM

Thanks so much so far. Frankly I want an Entegra, and hubby LOVES their front seats. He wants those seats bad! I found them in a Jayco Seneca (class Cplus) but I've not been able to discern the best gas models as far as build quality. I assume Newmar and Tiffin are the top...thoughts?

Clayobx 03-17-2014 02:56 PM

Buy a DP! Not that a gas coach is unsuitable. Your looking new or used? My pecking order excluding Newell, Prevost and Foretravel. Newmar, AC, Entegra, all very close depending on model. This order is new, high end. If looking used, CC, Travel Supreme, would also be a fine high end choice. JMHO.

Craig N Deb 03-17-2014 03:34 PM

I have to agree with Clay!

Diesel Pusher all the way!!!
I have a large storage facility and watched my customer trade every year or every other year and to be honest....I watched them all through many thousands of dollars away trading up! All they end up doing is wasting their money.
Also, Being from the automotive industry for over 30 years.....try to buy late model, low mileage, low use, great condition Used Coaches! You always get more for your money and someone else already went through the break-in period where we all know there are always alot of issues that turn into punch lists of issues to be resolved!
There are thousands of used coaches that got very little use for one reason or another and you win! Let them take the depreciation and the hassles not to mention crazy taxes they paid for new!!!
A wise man once said..... "Buy your last coach first!!":dance:

Look hard enough and you will find your dream coach like we did!!
Good Luck!
Craig

Longweekends 03-18-2014 04:04 AM

If you love Entegra and American Coach, you will not be satisfied with a gas unit such a Bounder that you mentioned in your post. Believe it or not, you eventually will justify a unit at the Entegra or American Coach level. It's only a matter of how you get there. As others have said, buy you last coach first. If you read this and other forums, you will see that many folks tip toe at first and then end up stepping up once they realize how much they like the lifestyle and how they know exactly what they want in a unit. I suggest to rent a couple times to help get a better idea of just what floats your boat. I started with a 99 discovery 36t in great shape and currently have a 2006 American Coach tradition. Kept the discovery for 2 years and learned a lot about what we really liked and had to have. Good luck and make sure to enjoy the search!

ie2special 03-18-2014 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longweekends (Post 1972548)
As others have said, buy you last coach first. If you read this and other forums, you will see that many folks tip toe at first and then end up stepping up once they realize how much they like the lifestyle and how they know exactly what they want in a unit. I suggest to rent a couple times to help get a better idea of just what floats your boat.

I agree 100% but Hubby likes to be frugal. I am worried that since he doesn't want to but what he wants now then we wont get anything :(

I know my husband, he is never satisfied :)

akeyzoo 03-19-2014 03:08 PM

My first motorhome (I am only 41 with 2 kids) is our gently used Revolution. I have done some repairs and upgrades myself. Currently doing flooring. I don't see selling this coach for a LONG time. To me, that is the best way to approach this, Last Coach First (of course I will have another coach god willing!) I bought a coach with great bones and fixed the rest for well under $100K.

Chris

dsbear 03-19-2014 03:26 PM

We bought an '05 Bounder in 2012 to "see how we liked it it 40k sold it in early 2013 for 45k did very little to it. Then we bought an '11 Astoria and we will have it for awhile.

ie2special 05-11-2014 07:45 PM

Well a lot has changed and we have learned a lot. We know we want an Entegra but not yet. I decided to go back to work so we will not have as much travel time as before. We still have a place in Florida and rent a place in New Orleans. We've recently discovered the beaches in Mississippi and want something we can easily take no more than 200 miles away in a weekend and maybe a couple weeks in the summer.

I want the Entegra but can't justify the cost for so little use since we aren't rich :)

Hubby likes the idea of a jay I class c since there are some Entegra similarities. He also likes the Georgetown xl but with a lot of state parks an option that is getting pretty big.

MRUSA14 05-11-2014 08:17 PM

Buy a used DP. You can get a nice one, about 10-12 years old, for 75-100k. It will not be an Entegra but will be much better than a Class C. Since you like Entegras, I would look for a good used Travel Supreme. But if you run across a nice Monaco, Beaver, CountryCoach, Newmar or Tiffen grab it. Condition is everything when buying a coach that age. You want to find that rare coach that was pampered since new by its owner(s). If you find a good one, it will last as long as you want to keep it, provided you too give it good care. You will have no need to trade up, which will save you gobs of money in the long run vs buying a smaller new coach now which you will want to trade later.

akeyzoo 05-12-2014 02:21 PM

Bought my rig used for well under 100K. If status matters I am often the nicest coach in the parks I frequent. If driving comfort matters mine drives and tows like a dream. I like tinkering and upgrading myself, so that is actually a bonus with a used good quality coach. I would only throw AC into the list Marc had since it competes with the names he mentioned well.

If you are buying to solve a short term problem, DEFINITELY buy used, whatever you get.

After a few upgrades, I can honestly say the only thing I "wish" (and no biggie believe you me) my coach had was LED puck style lights. I can get over it tho.

Chris

csrrsr 05-14-2014 10:44 AM

My first step into buying a MH was probably with the same trepidation as your husband. The DW was more like you....ready to go...now!! We looked at dozens of them and then found the one we have now. Far..far under $100,000 and it still gives us thrills and after 2 years and over 20,000 miles we have no MH fever to upgrade. Of course there's little things we might like to upgrade like LED lighting etc., but nothing to motivate us to move up the ladder. There's a nice well kept DP out there well under $100,000 that you'll enjoy for many years just waiting for you. Enjoy the journey finding it!! :)