iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Tiffin Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/)
-   -   Rear of the motor home swing back and forth (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/rear-of-the-motor-home-swing-back-and-forth-196989.html)

Spud22 03-20-2014 11:20 AM

Rear of the motor home swing back and forth

the swing of the rear makes the front swing also stabilize needed??????
33 ft 2000 allegro bus

bobandshaz 03-20-2014 11:59 AM

air pressure?

BFlinn181 03-20-2014 12:30 PM

:welcome:

First check how you have it loaded. Do you have excessively heavy things in rear compartments? Next you need to weigh RV and adjust tire pressures to specifications of tire manufacturer for that weight.
If it's still squirrelly, I'd consider alignment and inspect that all suspension parts are tight and you don't need new bushings. Good luck with it. Do the above before buying sway bars, new shocks, etc.

garykk 03-20-2014 12:41 PM

Ride height? Bad air bag? And others mentioned...

George Schweikle 03-20-2014 01:44 PM

It isn't possible to respond since you didn't provide what make chassis you have. My initial thought is that you need a rear track bar (Panhard bar). Whether you need, or can even install, on the front depends on whether you have a solid axle or independent suspension since track bars can't be installed on independent suspension.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spud22 (Post 1975884)
33 ft 2000 allegro bus

lanerd 03-20-2014 03:00 PM

Could be just driver driving habits. When I first got our first coach, I had a real hard time keeping it in a straight line and tended to over steer almost constantly causing the rear to kinda sway back and forth.

I eventually learned to not look at the road so close in front of me....in fact, I found that if I looked out several hundred yards that I was able to make less steering adjustments and reduce the amount of the coach moving around.

For me it was juat a matter of getting use to the coach and how it traveled down the road.

Ron

wa8yxm 03-20-2014 04:28 PM

There are several things that affect this... First: Check suspension, and tire pressure (make sure the pressure is the proper pressure for the load the tires are carrying.. NOT necessarly the pressure on teh sticker and not likely the one molded on the tire, You must weigh the rig (All 4 corners) to get the right pressure)

And finally, On vehicles with leaf suspension it is possible for the frame to "Wag" a bit right and left over the axle.. There is a device you can add that stops this dead.. It is called either a Trac Bar or a Pan Hard bar (Two names, same hunk of steel)

On cars with STRUT suspension it is standard and it is not needed on the front of vehicles with independent front suspension.

But it is on the rear, and on the front with single beam front suspension

And it helps big time.

chastho 03-30-2014 07:27 PM

When I had that problem it was bad shocks, replaced them problem solved

bobandshaz 03-31-2014 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lanerd (Post 1976130)
Could be just driver driving habits. When I first got our first coach, I had a real hard time keeping it in a straight line and tended to over steer almost constantly causing the rear to kinda sway back and forth.

I eventually learned to not look at the road so close in front of me....in fact, I found that if I looked out several hundred yards that I was able to make less steering adjustments and reduce the amount of the coach moving around.

For me it was juat a matter of getting use to the coach and how it traveled down the road.

Ron

This same action helped us in a much smaller MH than Ron is driving.

paz 03-31-2014 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spud22 (Post 1975884)
33 ft 2000 allegro bus

A DP that short should not have much rear overhang, so I wouldn't expect that much of a handling problem. If there is, I suspect you have another issue. The following is a list of possibilities:
  1. Check loading. Have the coach weighed as loaded for travel. Preferably weigh all 4 corners.
  2. After doing #1, balance your load as much as possible then adjust tire pressures according to the tire manufacturer's inflation chart.
  3. Check alignment.
  4. Check shocks; and if you have air bags, check them for proper inflation.
  5. If all the above don't solve the problem, consider adding a rear track bar.