iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   newbie with a question (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/newbie-with-a-question-200637.html)

jennenga 04-20-2014 06:51 AM

newbie with a question

I found my water pump under the sofa of my motor home. Problem is that I can't find the switch anywhere. Beginning to think it just "senses" when water is there and runs as a faucet is opened. Could this be true? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Walt Bennett 04-20-2014 06:54 AM

What year, make and model do you have?

Tha_Rooster 04-20-2014 06:56 AM

Generally by the sinks I wound not think its wired to stay on all the time.

Medico 04-20-2014 07:06 AM

Mine senses a change in pressure, for example when water is turned on somewhere, and starts to run to keep the tank pressurized so my water continues to flow.

jennenga 04-20-2014 07:28 AM

1981 Ford Honey on E-350 van chassis. Not sure on footage

ahicks 04-20-2014 07:56 AM

jennenga - anything is possible, but generally there's a switch to turn the pump off somewhere. If yours isn't located somewhere near the galley area, sometimes they're located on the monitor panel?

Medico - you're pretty sure your pump pressurizes the tank? Most modern systems have a gravity fed pump fed by a tank that does not take kindly to being pressurized at all! The pump pressurizes the water lines only, then monitors that pressure, kicking on when the pressure drops.

Older systems, getting really old now, used a galvanized water tank and a small 12v air compressor to keep it pressurized. Again, anything is possible, but I'd be surprised to hear of something like that in use any more?

jennenga 04-20-2014 04:34 PM

Has a white plastic holding tank under sofa, then a flojet pump after the tank and b4 plumbing. Can see wires connected to pump but just a breaker on the main breaker panel. Maybe I should fill tank and see if pump kicks on with open faucet

SarahW 04-20-2014 05:37 PM

You might send a PM to "MartySQ"; she is a member who owns a Honey. (She responded to your thread in the Vintage Owners Section about the Honey.) Good luck!

t55watson 04-20-2014 05:46 PM

Switch may be in the bath area.

mojoracing 04-21-2014 03:14 AM

There has to be a switch. No way it is auto. Look on the monitor panel.

Medico 04-21-2014 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahicks (Post 2017593)
Medico - you're pretty sure your pump pressurizes the tank? Most modern systems have a gravity fed pump fed by a tank that does not take kindly to being pressurized at all! The pump pressurizes the water lines only, then monitors that pressure, kicking on when the pressure drops.

Older systems, getting really old now, used a galvanized water tank and a small 12v air compressor to keep it pressurized. Again, anything is possible, but I'd be surprised to hear of something like that in use any more?

That is entirely possible. All I know is the pump senses a pressure change to come on. I assumed it pressurized the tank. It is likely that was an incorrect assumption. After all you know the adage about assumptions!

Medico 04-21-2014 08:57 AM

By the way I have a switch on my control panel behind the driver's seat, in the water compartment and in the restroom, any of which turn off the pump.

jennenga 04-21-2014 11:39 AM

Not sure. I don't think the tank gets pressurized because the pump is after the tank. This isn't a great big deal,as I could always drop a couple new wires and mount a new switch.

mel s 04-21-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennenga (Post 2017507)
I found my water pump under the sofa of my motor home. Problem is that I can't find the switch anywhere. Beginning to think it just "senses" when water is there and runs as a faucet is opened. Could this be true? Any help would be greatly appreciated

jennenga
On most "modern coaches", (like my '96), the automatic pressure switch on the water pump does sense when a faucet is opened.
However there is usually a switch, (or switches), that it can be, (should be?), turned OFF when using campground water and/or when filling the water tank via a hose.
Mel
'96 Safari

BFlinn181 04-21-2014 12:29 PM

You most likely have a switch or two, maybe three. The pump does operate 'on demand' when turned on, meaning it senses pressure drop in plumbing and kicks in until pressure is back to preset psi. If no switch, when tank was empty, you'd burn out the pump. Pump is also not needed when on pressurized hydrant at a campground.
The switches are often hooked together by an electronic circuit board that allows any of the switches to turn pump on or off, normally not possible in a 12 v DC circuit like 3 way 120 v ac circuits. The switches, as suggested, are usually near where water is needed, at levels panel, near bath or kitchen sink, toilet, even water bay compartment. In same area as water pump switch should be switch for water heater. (CAUTION don't turn on water heater until you are sure water heater tank is full of water)

By the way, most RV water pumps don't self prime, water flows by gravity from tank into pump. If an air lock forms in water line, it must be allowed to pass beyond pump for the pump to fill with water so it can pump.

jennenga 04-21-2014 04:58 PM

Found it

Hey everyone,first of all, thanks for all your help. I did find the switch on the wall by the sink(hidden by coffee pot) . Now I feel stupid, I usually have terrible luck so I guess I freaked out for nothing. Thanks again everyone

Rook 04-21-2014 05:18 PM

Big help if you provide model and year of your coach. Rook