iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   National RV Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/)
-   -   Now where does this go? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/now-where-does-this-go-202571.html)

trode 05-05-2014 08:40 AM

Now where does this go?
 
Back the motorhome out yesterday, 2004 Seabreeze F-53 chassis, and laying on the ground underneath was what I would describe as a heat shield. Not exactly sure where it came from though. It is flat, like a baking sheet, about 14"X24" and is two layers. Back of it looks as if it was held on by double sided tape, if so surprised it stayed on this long.

Any ideas?

Will post pictures later if needed.

Thanks

wa8yxm 05-05-2014 08:56 AM

Well if it's lying on the ground under the motor home.. Logical place is .

Directly above where it was lying.

Look for residue from the tape.

Bobb.25 05-05-2014 09:06 AM

My 2003 f-53 chassis had begun making a rattling noise when going slow through campgrounds, traffic, etc. I asked my truck mechanic to check it out when he was doing last summer's safety check/ lube and oil change. He said that the heat shield by the muffler was partially loose, and he welded it back in place. It may be a heat shield, at least yours won't rattle any more. :laugh: Just don't park in tall dead grass. .. YRMV
Bob

two2go 05-05-2014 09:08 AM

Is it OEM or something a former owner added if your unit is previously owned?

trode 05-05-2014 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wa8yxm (Post 2038050)
Well if it's lying on the ground under the motor home.. Logical place is .

Directly above where it was lying.

Look for residue from the tape.

Hard to really tell since I backed out and wind blew it across driveway.

macantic 05-05-2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobb.25 (Post 2038065)
My 2003 f-53 chassis had begun making a rattling noise when going slow through campgrounds, traffic, etc. I asked my truck mechanic to check it out when he was doing last summer's safety check/ lube and oil change. He said that the heat shield by the muffler was partially loose, and he welded it back in place. It may be a heat shield, at least yours won't rattle any more. :laugh: Just don't park in tall dead grass. .. YRMV
Bob

That would be my first guess,a heat shield.

sirpurrcival 05-05-2014 01:51 PM

Really only a couple of places where you might find shielding. One is the exhaust like has been mentioned, the other might be the transmission although my F-53 has none there. Might check to see if there are any gaps in your wheel wells too.

DriVer 05-05-2014 02:04 PM

I have shielding between the exhaust system and the ABS system which lives up in the frame. :)

BFlinn181 05-05-2014 03:03 PM

I suggest you park over a depression or put the right side tires on a curb so you can easily get underneath with a mechanic's crawler. Scoot along and look carefully above the exhaust system, front to back. If you don't see a place for the heat shield, then check around generator exhaust. Those are the places you usually find shielding.

Brockx 05-05-2014 03:09 PM

If you exhaust exits to the side ahead of the rear wheels. Good chance it was on the bottom of a basement bin because of the tailpipe proximity.

trode 05-13-2014 10:55 AM

Here it is
 
2 Attachment(s)
Here is picts to help, I have looked underneath MH and find no "obvious" spot where it is missing from, judging by the over-spray it was on there from chassis manufacture (I think). Looks like there was cheap doublesided tape, almost looks like cellophane tape. Stuck my foot in picture to give perspective.

First picture is the smooth metal side with paint overspray

Second picture is the foil like side with tape residue

Thing looks like a cookie sheet

Look forward to responses.

Thanks

DriVer 05-13-2014 11:04 AM

Now where does this go?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by trode (Post 2049781)
Look forward to responses.

trode, What a curious oddity. The finish on this device looks not to be OEM however the radius on the corners appear to be purposeful and well executed. It's almost reminiscent of some type of a battery tray however trace elements on the device itself should give you a clue of its intention or logical placement.

Is it possible that the device you found actually did not fall from your machine?

Skip426 05-13-2014 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DriVer (Post 2049797)
trode, however trace elements on the device itself should give you a clue of its intention or logical placement.

Is it possible that the device you found actually did not fall from your machine?

X2, with a strip of undercoating that long, if this , is , from your rig tracking down it's original location should only be a 5 min. job.
JMHO: If you can't find a location in 5 mins. under your rig , it's off another vehicle.

trode 05-13-2014 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DriVer (Post 2049797)
trode, What a curious oddity. The finish on this device looks not to be OEM however the radius on the corners appear to be purposeful and well executed. It's almost reminiscent of some type of a battery tray however trace elements on the device itself should give you a clue of its intention or logical placement.

Is it possible that the device you found actually did not fall from your machine?

I guess anything is possible, but it was in my driveway at the time, not storage, and can't for the life of me see how it could have blown into my yard but is possible I guess. Will likely file in the dark recesses of the garage for now.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.