iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Fuel Economy of your Motorhome (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/fuel-economy-of-your-motorhome-203327.html)

Musikboy 05-11-2014 07:11 AM

Fuel Economy of your Motorhome

This was my maiden voyage in our new Thor Tuscany 40EX this past week. :thumb:We drove 1000 miles back from Knoxville, TN over the course of 3 days. We were in no rush, we did not pull a toad, we had not used the Gen underway and we didn't restrict our use of dash air, we used it as we needed.

We started with a full tank and then topped off twice. Over the course of 1050 miles, we averaged 9.49 miles per gallon. I was thinking this was about average or even a little low. I had heard that we should get about 10-12 mpg with no toad.

We traveled at 62 mph most of the way, on cruise control a lot of the time. The Cummins ISB 360 hp engine performed well, we sailed up inclines without a strain or slowdown. We have an "exhaust brake" switch on the dash which I used frequently on the down slopes and found it to handle easily anything I encountered.

Over the entire trip we used about 1/4 tank if DEF. I am ordering more from Amazon so I carry a spare. Seems like a pain to fill up at a truck stop.

My question is; What is your mileage when you travel? Do you tow? Do you use your Gen underway? How fast do you go?

Here's the BIG question... What can we do to improve mileage? Do these fuel enhancers work? any other voodoo we can perform to boost economy? What about those $600 "chips" or programs, do they work or do they hurt the engine/transmission? Void warranty? Waste money?

All newbie questions, I realize but just wanted to get a benchmark and see what everyone else is doing.

Thanks!
Mitch

PDR John 05-11-2014 07:20 AM

We'll get anywhere from 5.9 as a low to 8.5 as a high, with over all average at 7.5.

I'm shoving a 44,000 lbs brick down the road at 62 mph, nothing is going to be efficient with that weight and aerodynamics.

I run the genny when it's hot and I want to run the roof ACs. I run the Oasis boiler when it's supper cold and I want more heat.

jlr44 05-11-2014 07:23 AM

Sounds like your are on the right track. For me I went and bought two 5 gallon gas cans and went to a local station and filled them with DEF for $2.13 per gallon. Good luck on your travels

Musikboy 05-11-2014 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlr44 (Post 2046526)
Sounds like your are on the right track. For me I went and bought two 5 gallon gas cans and went to a local station and filled them with DEF for $2.13 per gallon. Good luck on your travels

I have to look further, 3 stations so far that pump Diesel don't pump DEF. But that's a great suggestion!

hawgguy 05-11-2014 07:28 AM

I have the 350 engine with a same sized coach, no DEF but I do have the DPF and EGR. You are doing great. 10-12 mpg seems a bit optimistic. I tend to drive a little faster, with the genny on to run the roof airs and with a toad. (33-34,000 lbs at the scales). It seems that I usually have a headwind, weather going east-west or visa-versa (just my luck). I usually see 7-7.5 mpg, maybe more if my wife is driving. I have heard that the engines with DEF are a little more efficient.

mel s 05-11-2014 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musikboy (Post 2046506)
This was my maiden voyage in our new Thor Tuscany 40EX this past week. :thumb:We drove 1000 miles back from Knoxville, TN over the course of 3 days. We were in no rush, we did not pull a toad, we had not used the Gen underway and we didn't restrict our use of dash air, we used it as we needed.

We started with a full tank and then topped off twice. Over the course of 1050 miles, we averaged 9.49 miles per gallon. I was thinking this was about average or even a little low. I had heard that we should get about 10-12 mpg with no toad.
My question is; What is your mileage when you travel?
All newbie questions, I realize but just wanted to get a benchmark and see what everyone else is doing.
Thanks!
Mitch

Mitch
My coach has averaged 8.5 MPG over the last 105k miles, (towing or not).
That's $37,000+ worth of diesel...(BTW, at today's diesel prices that would be more than $50,000)! :eek:
If I could get 9.49 MPG I would be extremely happy. :dance:

Mel
35', '96 Safari, (3126 Cat), 132k miles

NorthernDriv 05-11-2014 11:57 AM

DP.......I believe that stands for the Mileage....Darn Poor...!

Green D 05-11-2014 12:03 PM

My first DP was a 275HP 36ft rig it avg 10.5 towing, so i dont think you will see those numbers.
My current MH avg 7.5 towing have seen 8+ on good days but avg 7.5 450HP 43ft

Just enjoy it!
Eric

terry735001 05-11-2014 12:17 PM

i dont know to be happy or sad for me

when i installed the GM350 gas motor in my DP just to get the RV home i was getting on a flat roads 7.5 to 8 MPG and did this for 1200 miles with a rv 33-34,000 lbs as well

Skip426 05-11-2014 12:21 PM

A whole bunch of questions and answers possible you'll get a ton of replies.
Maiden voyage, new coach , the big diesels don't achieve their best power and mileage till they're broken in, @ 25>30k miles.
The chips will void many warranties, engine/ transmission, and even if they do provide the mileage increases they claim could take many YEARS , depending on how much you drive, to provide a financial benefit.
Cat, used to have a pdf. file on their web page when they were still producing on highway engines. " Understanding Coach/RV Performance " should be required reading for every coach owner no matter what engine they have. I have it in print copy , and if I can locate a link I'll post it for you.
Top three ; in order; things that effect fuel mileage, Driver, Route & Speed.

Skip426 05-11-2014 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Found it. Please take the time to read this.

Scarab0088 05-11-2014 12:55 PM

The #1 way to increase MPG is to reduce the speed. While 62 is admirable, going 55 might increase MPG by a measurable amount. Over time you may find your RV's drive-line set-up has a sweet spot for MPG on flat terrain...this varies rig to rig.

The #2 way to increase MPG is reduce weight. The OP was probably at the lightest weight that the RV will ever be, being new. So try to refrain from filling every bin with stuff you might not need. Even to fill the fresh water tank or not can impact the MPG.

The #3 way to increase MPG is speed control on inclines. Going uphill could be done at a lower speed to save fuel...then run down the backside. Most believe the cruise control is your friend, but that is not true when driving in hills or mountains.

Engine chips work, but might void a warrantee. Airflow devices might have some impact, but can be expensive.

Best luck and congrats on the new Coach :thumb:

ohhwell 05-11-2014 02:30 PM

I think the only problem is with whoever told you you would get 11-12 MPG in a 40' DP.

ohhwell 05-11-2014 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terry735001 (Post 2046930)
i dont know to be happy or sad for me

when i installed the GM350 gas motor in my DP just to get the RV home i was getting on a flat roads 7.5 to 8 MPG and did this for 1200 miles with a rv 33-34,000 lbs as well

Now that is interesting beyond just the MPG. Do you have a write-up on that process anywhere?

Rich-n-Linda 05-11-2014 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohhwell (Post 2047082)
I think the only problem is with whoever told you you would get 11-12 MPG in a 40' DP.

X2!

You will never see double-digit MPGs in 40-foot diesel pusher. Well...you might...if you start your trip at the top of Pikes Peak and check your mileage at the bottom of the mountain. ;)

Rich & Linda

terry735001 05-11-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohhwell (Post 2047083)
Now that is interesting beyond just the MPG. Do you have a write-up on that process anywhere?

yes but my last posting / update dos not talk much about the 350 much any more as this was a temp setup to just get the RV moving for the time being

but there is some video and pics there

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/rv-f...ml#post1996782

62_inrightlane 05-11-2014 04:51 PM

I have a 38 ft DP with 340HP cummins pulling a 4,400# toad and average 10.5 MPG over several thousand miles. Some days more, some days less. MPG depends on many factors. To name a few:

1. Wind speed and direction.
2. Altitude
3. Elevation changes on road being traveled.
4. Throttle pressure. Do you drive like you have lead toe shoes or an egg between your foot and the pedal?

Also, I always drive with the mode button on. It makes about 1/2 MPG difference.

If you're in rolling hills you may do better MPG wise with the exhaust brake off as long as you feel safe doing it. Use the little extra downhill speed to push you further up the next hill. Also you may be able to squeeze a few extra tenths of MPG by taking the coach off cruise control, if you are using it, when in rolling hills.

Martinichuck 05-11-2014 05:47 PM

We have the same mh.(2013) We just returned to CA from an extended trip across to Tenn via the gulf coast and back. Our mileage varied anywhere from 8.0 - 9.76 while towing a Jeep Wrangler. Most of the time we cruised at 65.

Musikboy 05-11-2014 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip426 (Post 2046965)
Found it. Please take the time to read this.

Thank you Skip, I am really enjoying reading this. Now that I am home and after 4 trips to Camping World :facepalm: we have enough crap stuffing the bottom cabinets to play camping for the rest of the season. :) But seriously, I don't think the folding chairs, grille, various soaps and polishes all add up to even an extra 100 pounds. So I don't think that will change my weight profile much.

I doubt I will drive any slower, but I do like the cruise control. I will be adding a Jeep Cherokee as my tow car, not the GRAND Cherokee. Maybe 4,000 pounds? not much else. I wonder how that will change my mileage profile.

But I can't wait to find out! Love my new coach, we have so many new plans and a bunch of new friendships starting. We joined a few groups and will be meeting up with the Cape Codders at a beautiful seacoast location, it will be dry camping. I will need to add a exhaust pipe to vent my generator exhaust up instead of out the bottom of the coach. So much to do!

Incredible that I still have a job! :banghead:

Musikboy 05-11-2014 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62_inrightlane (Post 2047241)
I have a 38 ft DP with 340HP cummins pulling a 4,400# toad and average 10.5 MPG over several thousand miles. Some days more, some days less. MPG depends on many factors. To name a few:

2. Altitude
4. Throttle pressure. Do you drive like you have lead toe shoes or an egg between your foot and the pedal?

Also, I always drive with the mode button on. It makes about 1/2 MPG difference.

I would love to get to 10 mpg with toad! I love to drive with my shoes off, so my foot is light on the throttle. I also flip the exhaust brake on and off, I use the momentum of the decline to get up the next incline, like the truckers do.

You said you always drive with the MODE button on. What is the mode button and do I have one?

Rich-n-Linda 05-11-2014 08:37 PM

A 38 ft DP with a 340 Cummins pulling a 4,400 pound toad and averaging 10.5 MPG?

Absolutely no way.

Rich & Linda

Skip426 05-11-2014 08:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you didn't get this with your coach. Allison Transmission Manual
Been a while since I read through it but should explain " Mode " button.

djc454 05-11-2014 08:53 PM

Just made a trip with our 2014 Journey 34B, no toad and if I'm to believe the trip computer in the dash, it was 2550 miles and 245 gallons of fuel. That works out to 10.4 MPG if you believe the computer. Gonna do the pencil and paper math on the way back to verify. Didn't use the generation and had 2200 miles on the odometer when we started. I was surprised by the MPG.

WILDEBILL308 05-11-2014 09:14 PM

Congratulations on your new coach. I think you are getting grate mileage. The new coaches with the DEF do seam to get a little better milage.
I leave the retarder switch on all the time I don't want to be fumbling for a switch if I really need it. Perhaps I could get a little more mileage but.
I run most of the time on cruise with the econ mode engaged. Most of the time conditions permitting I run 65-66. Last Summer on 18 fill ups I got 9.96 mpg. I haven't checked milage since I got a new toad (2014 CRV) I was towing a Civic on a tow dolly and now I can tow 4 down.
I think the OP will get a little better milage as he gets more miles on the coach so go have fun.
Bill

Daveinet 05-11-2014 09:27 PM

If this is a brand new coach, it may do better after it is broken in. The inclines will kill the mileage.

Jupiter 05-11-2014 10:11 PM

Congrats on the new coach, Mitch. I have the same ISB 360 in our 36M Winnie. Over the last 5,000 miles I've averaged 9.2mpg towing a CRV. Last trip w/o towing the toad I averaged 10.0mpg. I have less than 15K miles on the engine.

I set my cruise at 62mph and always use the "economy mode" on the Allison panel unless in hill country. Then, I switch off the economy mode so the transmission downshifts more readily minimizing loss of momentum. My previous Cat C-7 350hp averaged 7.5mpg towing and rarely did better than 8.0mpg w/o a toad.

Personally, I'm staying away with performance enhancing modifications. Not saying they don't work to some extent, I just choose to be satisfied with the "factory" set up.

Happy trails!
Joopy

MSHappyCampers 05-12-2014 07:48 AM

Hi Mitch! We get about 8 MPG while towing a Honda Accord 4-down. I drive 60 MPH on Interstates and 4-lane roads, and 55 MPH on secondary roads, depending on conditions. I have the Cummins ISC350 engine. :thumb::D

pumper9x9 05-12-2014 08:37 AM

Fuel Economy of your Motorhome = Oxymoron

Bumps 05-12-2014 08:51 AM

Quote:

2. Altitude
To 62_inrightlane's list, I would add:

5. Towing or not.
6. Weight.

In my non-scientific assessment, however, the factors that make the biggest difference are headwinds and speed. \ken

mel s 05-12-2014 09:02 AM

30+ years ago an experienced coach owner told me: "Any one claiming more than 10 MPG with a class A diesel coach is LYING, or they don't know how to calculate fuel mileage".
That, IMO, is true today.
Mel
'96 Safari, (an honest 8 MPG)

Scarab0088 05-12-2014 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pumper9x9 (Post 2048079)
Fuel Economy of your Motorhome = Oxymoron

Fuel costs are extreme, so there is no reason to just burn money.

Here is a simple illustration:
Where would you go to fill-up?
Station A, selling fuel for $3.50 or Station B, selling fuel for $4.00
By driving to achieve the slight difference of just 8MPG vs. 7MPG, the difference is equal to paying 50 cents more a gallon at the pump.

Do the math...it's true.
Safe travels

Musikboy 05-12-2014 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martinichuck (Post 2047294)
We have the same mh.(2013) We just returned to CA from an extended trip across to Tenn via the gulf coast and back. Our mileage varied anywhere from 8.0 - 9.76 while towing a Jeep Wrangler. Most of the time we cruised at 65.

Great to hear that your mileage has held up even at the higher speeds and with a toad. It sounds like we made the opposite trip from the same place. We just drove from Tenn to Boston, a little over 1000 miles.

I hope you have many more pleasurable and trouble free trips in your Tuscany. Please stay in touch if something should go wrong, most of the time the same things break on the same MH's particularly when we both have the same model year!

bruceisla 05-12-2014 10:10 AM

Older Cat diesel 275hp, 38 ft, give or take 28,000 lb. plus 2500 lb. toad, highway/interstate 65mph max, probably 40mph county highways .... 7.5 - 8.5 mpg.

It's the cost of fuel for truckers that affects me most ... cost of food is far more of an issue for me than the fuel cost of an RV.

sstehman 05-12-2014 10:11 AM

My mileage must be way off

We just took our first trip -- 2002 Monaco Diplomat, 40' diesel. Hope we just did not have the tank full (as we thought we did). Only went 40 mi round trip. Filled up on return. 1.88 MPG? Gotta say taking that first trip and setting one of these up the first time was stressful enough, but the gas mileage pushed me over the edge. Hope my next post after a June trip can give a better result.

bruceisla 05-12-2014 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sstehman (Post 2048204)
We just took our first trip -- 2002 Monaco Diplomat, 40' diesel. Hope we just did not have the tank full (as we thought we did). Only went 40 mi round trip. Filled up on return. 1.88 MPG? Gotta say taking that first trip and setting one of these up the first time was stressful enough, but the gas mileage pushed me over the edge. Hope my next post after a June trip can give a better result.

You'll need to recalc after burning a 1/2 tank or so .... should be "about" 8mpg. Also, the Genset will burn about 1/2 gal per hour ... more with a heavy load like 2 A/C running.

ohhwell 05-12-2014 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sstehman (Post 2048204)

That can't be right. I think you would have a check engine light because that low of MPG would indicate a major drivetrain problem.

Daveinet 05-12-2014 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mel s (Post 2048104)
30+ years ago an experienced coach owner told me: "Any one claiming more than 10 MPG with a class A diesel coach is LYING, or they don't know how to calculate fuel mileage".
Mel

Some of the DPs in the 90s did that or more. Combination of weight, technology, and lack of EPA ruining a good thing.

dsbear 05-12-2014 11:45 AM

I have an 11 Astoria 40 KT and pull a 1/2 ton Chevy crew cab most of the time. I drive 70 and average 8.3 with our without the toad.

Brockx 05-12-2014 11:57 AM

Fuel mileage calculation

Total miles driven divided by gallons purchased over several fill-ups is the only true method.

VestaDave 05-12-2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mel s (Post 2048104)
Mel

Generally I agree with the statement but with our 2011 monaco Vesta we and others report getting over 11. Got 12.5 on last trip to San Diego pulling small Hyundai. I would not believe it myself but there you have it.
Now we live in Ca. so most travel is limited to 55mph pulling a car. Also, for those not familiar with the Vesta/Trip it's shorter and narrower than most and kind of aerodynamic at least for a MH.
It's powered by a 260hp Navistar Maxxforce7. If we were to drive at 70 mph my guess is that we might get way less.

CampDaven 05-12-2014 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djc454 (Post 2047573)
Just made a trip with our 2014 Journey 34B, no toad and if I'm to believe the trip computer in the dash, it was 2550 miles and 245 gallons of fuel. That works out to 10.4 MPG if you believe the computer. Gonna do the pencil and paper math on the way back to verify. Didn't use the generation and had 2200 miles on the odometer when we started. I was surprised by the MPG.

In my experience, trip computers do their best to estimate. My computer varies + 1 to 1.5 mpg from actual miles/gallons computations. But, 10.4 with a short light rig is possible.

John H... 05-12-2014 12:14 PM

Your mileage should improve as you get more miles on your MH. I once heard, if you can afford the MH, then you should be able to afford the fuel..

Mine is a gasser, but my first fill-up, mileage was around 4mpg, but improved with the next couple of fill-ups. Get around 7mpg pulling toad.

ohhwell 05-12-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brockx (Post 2048364)
Fuel mileage calculation

Total miles driven divided by gallons purchased over several fill-ups is the only true method.

Modern computers are REALLY accurate and could be better than hand calculations unless you always fill up at the same pump in the same gas station.

At least they are in passenger vehicles, DPs may have a dealer MPG calibration to make buyers feel better about the purchase :laugh:

mel s 05-12-2014 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brockx (Post 2048364)
Fuel mileage calculation

Brockx :thumb:
My 8 MPG average was calculated by dividing the number of miles I've driven since '01, (104,578), by the amount of diesel fuel I used since '01, (13,069 gal).
Mel
'96 Safari, 250hp, 3126 cat

dsbear 05-12-2014 01:28 PM

My 8.3 is hand calculated over 13000 miles

chawkins99 05-12-2014 01:31 PM

I've had my coach for nearly 2 years and put around 10,000 miles on it. I have the Cummins 330 ISC.

For the first few trips, I meticulously kept records of mileage and got numbers varying from 7mpg to 9.5mpg. Overall for about 2500 miles was about 8.3mpg.

Then I got a Scangauge and that reports similar numbers. Now I don't bother with the record-keeping. It is what it is.

I keep the Scangauge on instantaneous MPG and average MPG. Downhill makes me feel :dance: when I see it showing 9999 MPG. Uphill, not so much...:sad:

As someone else mentioned, in rolling hills, it's more economical to not use the cruise control as it will try hard to maintain the set speed. Without cruise, I don't mind if the speed drops 5-10mph as I know I'll pick it up again over the rise. Accelerate on the downhill to anticipate the uphill. BTW: I don't do this if it is impeding other traffic :nonono:

My latest trip, filled up near home. Scangauge said I had 19 gallons left but could only squeeze 76 gallons in the 100gal tank.

CampDaven 05-12-2014 02:31 PM

Perspective:

I get about 8 mpg.
From where I was in AZ to this spot in PA is about 2300 miles.
At $3.85/gal I spent about $1107 on MH fuel coming back East. I spend about double that touring with the toad in a year.
If you get 9.5, you beat me by $175 on MH fuel. Over 2.5 weeks portal to portal, the delta looks pretty small.

Being beat by $350 round trip over a year looks even smaller. :D

BTW. Dont fill up in PA. It is another 40 cents or so; state taxes.

WILDEBILL308 05-12-2014 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers (Post 2048007)
Hi Mitch! We get about 8 MPG while towing a Honda Accord 4-down. I drive 60 MPH on Interstates and 4-lane roads, and 55 MPH on secondary roads, depending on conditions. I have the Cummins ISC350 engine. :thumb::D

Are you sure you are getting into 6th gear?
I am turning 1600 at 55 in 5th gear It won't shift up till 65 or about 1950 rpm then it's turning 1600 rpm in 6th. I am running around 1800 at 60 in 5th gear.
Bill

CampDaven 05-12-2014 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 (Post 2048875)
Are you sure you are getting into 6th gear?

I am turning 1600 at 55 in 5th gear It won't shift up till 65 or about 1950 rpm then it's turning 1600 rpm in 6th. I am running around 1800 at 60 in 5th gear.

Bill

The Windsor probably has a different gear ratio that goes with the 8.3 motor vs your 5.9.
I am in 6th gear at 57 with my Camelot with an 8.9.
Varies a lot and each has a diff sweet spot.

Brockx 05-12-2014 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mel s (Post 2048487)
Brockx :thumb:
My 8 MPG average was calculated by dividing the number of miles I've driven since '01, (104,578), by the amount of diesel fuel I used since '01, (13,069 gal).
Mel
'96 Safari, 250hp, 3126 cat

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsbear (Post 2048517)
My 8.3 is hand calculated over 13000 miles

Two honest men, brings a tear to my eye.

I had some GM cars in the late 90's that were really accurate, Ford and Chrysler computers really stink, and sadly my new KIA is 10% optimistic.

My current MH overall is 7.8 however; I have seen 6.5 to 12.5 on individuals, just depends what angle the MH is setting when you fill.

Musikboy 05-12-2014 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers (Post 2048007)

Hi Joe and Annette,

I started out with the expectation that 8 MPG would be just fine. When the Jeep arrives and adds about 4,000 lbs of weight, I will probably lose 1 MPG anyway. So we are in about the same position. We haven't yet hit the miserable heat of August so I don't know if we'll use the Gen for roof air. There's been several discussions around dash air using about the same fuel profile as the Gen itself. I certainly don't yet know how that will work for us.

My driving profile is more like yours, I am experimenting with 62 MPH (about 1700 rpm) since I've read several times that it's the sweet spot for good torque and economy. I haven't tried to use the mode button yet, I just read the manual today after someone here attached a pdf, so I will experiment with how that works next weekend when we are out again.

The best part is that I am calm and relaxed most of the time when driving the MH, which feels great. I don't know what hours of bumper to bumper traffic will do to my serenity, probably not fun but we do entertain ourselves with pod casts and stories so we are just enjoying our time together anyway.

Thanks for all your contributions here, I have learned so much from this group, it's really provided me with a jump start on this lifestyle.

rufusfruge 05-12-2014 06:52 PM

Hi Mitch, we have a 2014 Tuscany XTE 40 EX and I get 9.2 MPG pulling a jeep patriot. I'm hoping that I might push that up a bit after we get a few miles on it. I drive 62 mph and very light on the pedal. Use the cruise and the mode button whenever possible. My tire pressure is 120 psi before each trip and I watch it very closely. Good luck with the new Ray and enjoy the road. Rufus

Musikboy 05-12-2014 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rufusfruge (Post 2048986)
Hi Mitch, we have a 2014 Tuscany XTE 40 EX and I get 9.2 MPG pulling a jeep patriot. I'm hoping that I might push that up a bit after we get a few miles on it. I drive 62 mph and very light on the pedal. Use the cruise and the mode button whenever possible. My tire pressure is 120 psi before each trip and I watch it very closely. Good luck with the new Ray and enjoy the road. Rufus

Rufus,

That's great news! gives me hope I can keep 9 mpg or better! I will have to check and watch my tire pressure, did you get those numbers by weighing on a truck scale? Are ALL your tires 120 psi or just your outer rears and front? What are your inner rear PSI measurements?

I hope you are having good luck :thumb: with your 40 EX, we have just one small problem but otherwise problem free since leaving TN last Tuesday. Fingers crossed!

SeattlePirat 05-12-2014 07:06 PM

We have a 2004 Newmar Kountry Star with 300 HP Cummins ISB motor. After 50K we get approximately 11 mpg when we do not tow and 9.5 to 10 when we drag our 4400 lbs Chev Tracker.

Wind and hills are huge factors in mileage as is speed. There are times I wish we had a 330 hp Cat but not at the diesel pump.:cool:

Musikboy 05-13-2014 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattlePirat (Post 2049018)
We have a 2004 Newmar Kountry Star with 300 HP Cummins ISB motor. After 50K we get approximately 11 mpg when we do not tow and 9.5 to 10 when we drag our 4400 lbs Chev Tracker.

Wind and hills are huge factors in mileage as is speed. There are times I wish we had a 330 hp Cat but not at the diesel pump.:cool:

Wow, that's great mileage! Just wondering, do you use DEF? Folks here are saying the DEF engines may be a little more efficient.

CampDaven 05-13-2014 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Musikboy (Post 2049399)
Wow, that's great mileage! Just wondering, do you use DEF? Folks here are saying the DEF engines may be a little more efficient.

The 04 ISB is way before DEF and is a 5.9 in a much lighter coach.

ohhwell 05-13-2014 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CampDaven (Post 2049426)

That generation 5.9 always had a reputation for great fuel economy. At least it did in the Dodge truck world.

Craigls2 05-13-2014 06:23 AM

Our 2013 Discovery 40G has a 380hp ISC and we towed a 4000lb Jeep last year. Our overall fuel economy was 8 .6 mpg over 7,000 miles calculated from fill ups and mileage. This included freeway driving, idling, generator use and the fact that I don't baby it on the freeways. We usually drive 65 to 68 where allowed. We just upgraded to a heavier toad this spring and our mileage may vary.

Maladjusted 05-13-2014 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda (Post 2047559)
A 38 ft DP with a 340 Cummins pulling a 4,400 pound toad and averaging 10.5 MPG?

Absolutely no way.

Rich & Linda

Yes way... I have a SportsCoach 385 DS with the ISB 340. We see 10.5 mpg hand calculated pulling a Chevy Cruz, 4 down... I drive 65 - 70... If I slowed the MPG would go up. Pulling a Chevy Tahoe (5400 lbs) we see 9.5 to 10 mpg, hand calculated.

This is running up and down the east coast... we are not traversing The Rockies or even any 5k foot inclines.

Mal

CampDaven 05-13-2014 07:07 AM

Quote:

I had heard that we should get about 10-12 mpg with no toad.

I would guess that "10-12" comment came from sales or a mfg brochure. My previous rig was SUPPOSED to get 13.2 but I got about 11 with load and toad on a 20K FRED chassis. The "claim" of mpg is as tested, best conditions, dead-empty, no load, flat ground.

Just wanted to relate my "claim vs reality" opinion. YMMV

Maladjusted 05-13-2014 07:08 AM

Why are people so quick to say "You're lying" when others share their fuel mileage?

Is it that people are not understanding newer, more fuel efficient diesel engines?

Is it that people are not willing to listen to other members because their higher powered, heavier coaches get 8 mpg?

Is it that people refuse to see that technology has changed in the past 20 years equating to higher efficiency?

We have seen enough newer ISB powered 30k lb coaches getting 10+ mpg that it is plausible that these figures are accurate.

Mal

rufusfruge 05-13-2014 02:13 PM

Mitch, I run that across the board. Haven't taken my rig to the scales. Those GY 670's call for 125 psi cold. I had a friend who drives fleet trucks tell me to just run 120 in em and that was good enough for me. A lot of this is all new to me and I try and pick up good suggestions and ideas from the pros who know a lot more than I probably will...I try to balance out my equipment and gear that I carry and hope that works.

dvmweb 05-13-2014 05:14 PM

Gee, that didn't take long!

CampDaven 05-13-2014 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvmweb (Post 2050339)
Gee, that didn't take long!

K. Confused. S'plain?

SeattlePirat 05-13-2014 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CampDaven (Post 2049426)

I believe when we tow our combined is right at 30,000 lbs. We have a friend with a nice 45 foot Patriot. He gets 5 mpg. I love the look and size of the coach but would never pay for anything that used that much fuel.:thumb: It would take the fun out of it.

HHg 05-14-2014 03:51 PM

10-12mpg.......highly unlikely. You are getting pretty darn good mileage with the numbers you shared. I've put about 7250 miles on my Tiffin and am getting 9.4 mpg (via the computer) which is better than I had anticipated.

Hhg:dance:

WILDEBILL308 05-14-2014 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthernDriv (Post 2046912)
DP.......I believe that stands for the Mileage....Darn Poor...!

Well as I have said before not bad considering the weight being moved.
Bill

CampDaven 05-15-2014 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 (Post 2052045)
Well as I have said before not bad considering the weight being moved.

Bill

True. Diesel cost about 13% more and is about 15% more efficient, so if rigs weigh the same the cost per mile is about equal, even though gas mpg is slightly lower.

Its close to a wash on a pound for pound basis, folks!

Dave and Nola - RVM1

Dawgs 05-15-2014 05:38 AM

Quote:

We traveled at 62 mph most of the way, on cruise control a lot of the time. The Cummins ISB 360 hp engine performed well, we sailed up inclines without a strain or slowdown. We have an "exhaust brake" switch on the dash which I used frequently on the down slopes and found it to handle easily anything I encountered.

Over the entire trip we used about 1/4 tank if DEF. I am ordering more from Amazon so I carry a spare. Seems like a pain to fill up at a truck stop.

My question is; What is your mileage when you travel? Do you tow? Do you use your Gen underway? How fast do you go?

Here's the BIG question... What can we do to improve mileage? Do these fuel enhancers work? any other voodoo we can perform to boost economy? What about those $600 "chips" or programs, do they work or do they hurt the engine/transmission? Void warranty? Waste money?

Thanks!
Mitch

Recently made a trip to the Keys and back to Atlanta. 2013 coach, CAT scale said 41,000 lbs. no DEF (MF10) and pulling a Honda Accord. Did not run generator and ran Aqua Hot on electric only. Manual calculation came to 10.4 MPG for the trip. I'm very happy.:laugh:

CampDaven 05-15-2014 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawgs (Post 2052430)
Recently made a trip to the Keys and back to Atlanta. 2013 coach, CAT scale said 41,000 lbs. no DEF (MF10) and pulling a Honda Accord. Did not run generator and ran Aqua Hot on electric only. Manual calculation came to 10.4 MPG for the trip. I'm very happy.:laugh:

If Key West, about 1600 miles R/T on a flat run, about 153 gallons. That can flex if the fill is slightly off level, but is pretty good either way. How is it in hills and grades?

Dave and Nola - RVM1

Maladjusted 05-15-2014 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawgs (Post 2052430)

Awesome!! No DEF? How did you do that?

Mal

CampDaven 05-15-2014 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maladjusted (Post 2052568)
Awesome!! No DEF? How did you do that?

Mal

Maxxforce motors do not use DEF. They meet EPA specs with other gadgets.

Dave and Nola - RVM1

62_inrightlane 05-15-2014 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda (Post 2047559)

Absolutely no way.

Rich & Linda

So because you don't believe it, makes it not true?

A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions.
- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Maladjusted 05-16-2014 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CampDaven (Post 2052615)
Maxxforce motors do not use DEF. They meet EPA specs with other gadgets.

Dave and Nola - RVM1

Ooohh... I forgot about Maxxforce.... Cool! :dance::thumb:

Dawgs 05-16-2014 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CampDaven (Post 2052491)
If Key West, about 1600 miles R/T on a flat run, about 153 gallons. That can flex if the fill is slightly off level, but is pretty good either way. How is it in hills and grades?

Dave and Nola - RVM1

2013 HR with the Maxxforce 10 engine. Uses a "regen" system without the added weight and cost of DEF. Navistar's system uses a high temp. burn of the carbon buildup in a special collector in the exhaust system. Key West trip did result in a 900 foot elevation gain on the return leg. Previous trip from Atlanta to Denver and back averaged 9.3 MPG.

Dawgs 05-16-2014 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CampDaven (Post 2052491)

Dave and Nola - RVM1

On the Denver trip we got 9.3 MPG pulling the Honda. Overall elevation gain of about 5000 feet. Pulled at 55 MPH going 24 in TN with no problem. Diesel's with DEF requirements need to calculate the total cost per mile to include the DEF expense.

62_inrightlane 05-16-2014 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawgs (Post 2053965)
On the Denver trip we got 9.3 MPG pulling the Honda. Overall elevation gain of about 5000 feet. Pulled at 55 MPH going 24 in TN with no problem. Diesel's with DEF requirements need to calculate the total cost per mile to include the DEF expense.

DEF cost is marginal. Burn rate is about 2% of diesel MPG. So on my coach I'm getting about 500 MPG on DEF @ about $2.89 per gallon when bought bulk at a truck stop.

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdf...es/MB10033.pdf

mvpmich 05-16-2014 09:38 PM

Our 40' Sportscoach weighs about 29k fully loaded including the toad. We have an ISB 6.7 340 hp and average +/-10 mpg when traveling at 1750 rpm (Camp Freightliner suggestion) which us 63-64 mph. I would expect that your mileage will improve as the coach gets broken in.

If you travel at 62 mph or less and tour rpm us less than 1750, the Camp Freightliner recommendation is to keep it in 5th gear.

tagcat 05-17-2014 05:37 AM

I think we are getting 8-9 mpg.We are full timers we knew knew that going in to it. I will be happy if we do not have major break downs .
We got the coach so we could travel from point A to point B and stay a month or 2 then move again.Try living this way in a car paying motels eating out not having things you need .Getting a M/H millage was at the bottom of list. Traveling with everything you own in back or under is a nice feeling,to us any way. Good luck and enjoy every day in your M/H. Hope for the best but plan for the worst