iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Brand new Newbie (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/brand-new-newbie-204227.html)

curleyrv 05-18-2014 11:22 AM

Brand new Newbie

Thoughts and assistance requested. DW and I are headed to TampaRV to take delivery on our first MHDP. The coach is a 2003 Dutch Star 3803 and we are quite excited - with initial stage-fright.

Looking for help with -
  • pre-delivery purchaser checklist
  • initial travel and RV- maintance tips books, ie. Next Exit.
  • thoughts about Good Sam Club
  • travel discount clubs
  • any other newbie suggestions
Thanks in advance and we hope to see lots of new RV friends on our part-time travels, initially the eastern US.

CurleyRV
:thumb:

Petro 05-18-2014 11:56 AM

Welcome to iRV2. I purchased my first DP 3 years ago. It is my current Horizon. I made a couple of mistakes I will share with you.

Review the service records first before you sign on the dotted line. I purchased from a reputable dealer and after I purchased the rig I asked for the service file. and was advised that none existed. I was forced to completely service the unit and change all fluids assuming it had not been serviced.

Check underneath for rust. My rig must have been operated in salty traffic conditions and put in storage with out rinsing the salt off the under body. I even had to replace battery cable ends where salt had wicked up between the covering and copper wires. They had turned green and harbored corrosion. It was expensive treating the rust and getting it back in shape.

I hope I have helped you at least a little;

Don

John Wayne 05-18-2014 03:53 PM

Just go to google and type in MotorHome PDI then take your pick

dvmweb 05-18-2014 08:10 PM

Look at everything. Crawl underneath. Open every door. Inside and out. Use a very bright flashlight. CSI. Don't sign until all problems are fixed. Hold the sale over their head if needed.

swedegis 05-19-2014 07:04 AM

Great info!!! My DH and I are heading to LazyDays in Tampa next week to get our new to us first time 2004 Country Coach Allure. Feeling the same way. Excited and nervous. Staying and doing the driving course!

myshaggydog 05-19-2014 09:11 AM

First welcome to the Forum and be sure to check out the Newmar Forum under the "Owners Forums" at the top of the page. That Forum has a lot of information on Newmar specific information, repairs and issues. It has been a huge benefit to us since we bought our Newmar DSDP in Dec. 2013.

Also the various specific forums can also be a great benefit from your engine, chassis to repairing your appliances. Just post your question or concern and the great people on the Forums will jump in and help out.

Best of luck with your new to you MH. We love our Dutch Star and I hope you will as well.

Happy RV'ing