iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Palazzo Motorhomes (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f281/)
-   -   Thor quality control issues - response from the Director (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f281/thor-quality-control-issues-response-from-the-director-205429.html)

Indy1951 10-09-2014 05:46 PM

The slide rails are not raw aluminum. They are anodized aluminum. Depending on the process used in the anodizing of the aluminum it can be almost as hard as a diamond. I have had my 33.2 for 14 months now and have lost count of the number of times the slide has been extended and retracted. The slide rails look as good as the day they where installed.

StevieD 10-09-2014 07:29 PM

Ditto

davidki 10-10-2014 06:44 AM

Do the new 2015 33.2 "Large Slide" have 3 rails now? Or do they still have only 2?

StevieD 10-10-2014 06:51 AM

Not sure, I do know that I seen a winnibago in a resort that had a much larger slide then the 32.2. It only had two rails. I was buying some supplies at camping world yesterday . For those that are legacy lovers, I was unempressed. I will take my palazzo any day.

wstrace3 10-10-2014 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieD (Post 2263513)
Not sure, I do know that I seen a winnibago in a resort that had a much larger slide then the 32.2. It only had two rails. I was buying some supplies at camping world yesterday . For those that are legacy lovers, I was unempressed. I will take my palazzo any day.

x2..

and another note about Thor.. love them or hate them.. to each his own.

But.. again Thor has stepped up for me. I am going to pick mine up from the dealer today... before my warranty went out I had them order a new gasket that goes around the front windshield because mine popped off. well the dealer was replacing it (after my warranty was up because they ordered the part before warranty expired) and somehow they put a nice crack across the entire windshield. They called Thor to tell them what happened and that it was their fault and I was out of warranty and they needed to order a new windshield ($1700 by the way) and they understood the dealership would pay for it but Thor said don't worry about it and would send one no charge. The dealership could have lied to me and told me they paid for it but were so impressed that Thor was taking care of it that they had to tell me.

We love our Palazzo too..

Ridinbear 10-10-2014 09:03 AM

Once I vacuumed the sawdust up and threw away extra screws then lubed a few things I am good. Enjoying the outdoors with good people. My Palazzo 33.3 has my grandkids and us smiling.😀 I do understand the frustrations and do the best that I can.

Scarab0088 10-10-2014 10:22 AM

So good to see some new(er) members posting and to read positive feedback about TMC.
I own a Damon (now part of TMC) and have always found their Customer Service to be very prompt and helpful...

...Now I cannot say the same for the "authorized dealers." There was a 1 month back log at the dealer near me in TX and a 3 week back log at the dealer near me in CA - just for routine maint. :facepalm: So to me, that explains the stories about new RV's waiting weeks for warranty repairs.

AND these are not just TMC Service Centers...they sell/service many brands.

Safe travels :thumb:

davidki 10-10-2014 02:23 PM

I agree, it's nice to see some good feedback.. I"m looking forward to getting down to look at a few coach's as early as tomorrow if it does not rain :-) The HUGE slide is a little concerning and I will have to see how large it is in comparison to others and then how the other manufacturers handle it....

I"m not sure how well CampingWorld is set up here in the Nashville area and or if there is a local freight-liner center near by... before I do anything I want to make sure that there is at least a service point handy in the area.

RKNOLA 10-15-2014 02:32 PM

As far as Thor's Quality Control department, do you think anyone at Thor has taken the time to make a list of all the coaches that have documented slide issues and find the common denominator? Or documenting all the coaches that have documented "screw heads sheered off" problems and find the common denominator there? Maybe it is 1 or 2 workers that are causing the problem. I am not saying they are doing this on purpose but maybe their equipment is bad or they are doing their job wrong by lack of teaching or misinformation. If a screw gun is set with too much torque it could cause the heads sheering off problem. Maybe no one checks to see if these screw guns are calibrated properly. Anyway, it seems like if only SOME of these coaches are having problems and all of the coaches are coming from the SAME factory, then it would seem logical to track down which workers/machines are involved in the affected coaches. Maybe cleaning house of ineffective machines and/or workers could solve a LOT of problems for us as consumers
Just a thought................

TK IV 10-15-2014 06:19 PM

Every Thursday the shop manager at the service facility meets with the design team to discuss issues they are seeing on coaches.

ChallengerRN 10-15-2014 06:45 PM

And how well is that working ???

Russell

RKNOLA 10-15-2014 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TK IV (Post 2271180)
Every Thursday the shop manager at the service facility meets with the design team to discuss issues they are seeing on coaches.

Maybe instead of the design team they could meet with the head of customer service/warrenty claims department. That is where they will be able to hear about problems that existing customers are having. Meeting with the design team to fix problems on up coming coaches doesn't really help those of us that have existing problems.
Speaking of that, I am glad the techs were able to get your slide fixed.

alpha99 10-16-2014 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChallengerRN (Post 2259715)
What my dealer did was to make me a good deal on another Brand. They knew I would never own another Thor so they were quite generous with a deal on a Forest River. They sell both brands.

Next time I trade for sure it will be with them. O Did I say that dealer is Total Value RV in Elkhart. Lol

Russell

Nice to hear about a fair dealer for a change!

Scarab0088 10-16-2014 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TK IV (Post 2271180)

This is GREAT NEWS!

The Mfgt Service Shop (across the street from the plant on CR 15 in Elkhart see: Contact Us | Thor Motor Coach #1 Brand of Motorhomes | Diesel Pushers,Class A,Class B,& Class C RV s) has gotten rave reviews from owners here on iRV2. That would be a great source of information for the design team.

The customer service/warranty claims department would only be reactive - not proactive.

And, getting feedback from the dealer network would provide less accurate information, if you could get it at all...the authorized service centers I have visited in CA and TX are not responsive - which is echo'd in many, many reports by other members here (like month plus waits for appointments :facepalm:) because they work on all brands, and frankly there is a boom in the RV biz.

I have always had fantastic service from Thor's Customer Service department - even being beyond the factory warranty.

Safe travels

ChallengerRN 10-16-2014 12:52 PM

The problem stems with production.

The service department is great but all these issues should never have left the factory in the first place!!!

My 2 cents

Russell

RKNOLA 10-17-2014 10:21 AM

"The customer service/warranty claims department would only be reactive - not proactive"

I want "active"! How's that?
Anything Thor can do at this point to fix the problem that poor QC has caused to their reputation would help. Whether it be with old coaches or new coaches, we all paid our money and we would like a product that works properly. I don't think that is an unrealistic request.

RKNOLA 10-17-2014 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChallengerRN (Post 2272134)
The problem stems with production.

The service department is great but all these issues should never have left the factory in the first place!!!

My 2 cents

Russell

I'll see your 2 cents and raise you a dollar!! :flowers:

Jlowers 10-18-2014 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKNOLA (Post 2273225)
"The customer service/warranty claims department would only be reactive - not proactive"

I want "active"! How's that?
Anything Thor can do at this point to fix the problem that poor QC has caused to their reputation would help. Whether it be with old coaches or new coaches, we all paid our money and we would like a product that works properly. I don't think that is an unrealistic request.

Thor sells Tuscany 42's at the same price that Newmar sells Dutch Star 43's while matching feature for feature. So when Thor QC finds issues, Thor Finance asks why it should incur more costs to fix them. Will it help increase profits or market share? Probably not. So nothing gets done.

Scarab0088 10-18-2014 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidki (Post 2263501)
Do the new 2015 33.2 "Large Slide" have 3 rails now? Or do they still have only 2?

Yes - I saw the 2015 Palazzo's, yesterday at the Pomona show - all had 3 rack slide drives.

Actually - I saw the 3 rack systems on all the Thor RV slides that were more than about 10'.

Cannot say the same for some other mfgts there - some still using the 2 rack drive on some BIG slides on DP's. Surely something I would be checking if a perspective buyer.

Safe travels

ChallengerRN 10-19-2014 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarab0088 (Post 2275220)
Yes - I saw the 2015 Palazzo's, yesterday at the Pomona show - all had 3 rack slide drives.

Actually - I saw the 3 rack systems on all the Thor RV slides that were more than about 10'.

Cannot say the same for some other mfgts there - some still using the 2 rack drive on some BIG slides on DP's. Surely something I would be checking if a perspective buyer.

Safe travels

My thought on the manufactures still using the two rails would be because they have a design that is working!! They built it to work. Not too many post where they are having issues.

As to Thor now that a different issue. Maybe the third rail will be a good deal. I doubt it as I feel the issues are much deeper than that.

I say this because I owned a Thor Palazzo at one point. It's a little easier to understand when you have been there.

Russell

anotherone 10-19-2014 07:31 AM

something for future owners to be aware of ; even if its 1 week old if its used thor wants nothing to do with you!!!!!! Second owners get nothing from thor.:banghead:

RKNOLA 10-19-2014 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anotherone (Post 2275519)
something for future owners to be aware of ; even if its 1 week old if its used thor wants nothing to do with you!!!!!! Second owners get nothing from thor.:banghead:

How do you know this? Were you trying to trade in your Phaeton and that's how you found out? What did they say?

RKNOLA 10-19-2014 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarab0088 (Post 2275220)

Safe travels

Were you at the Pomona show looking to trade in your 07 Damon Outlaw? Are you thinking of buying a new Palazzo? Yes, the new Palazzo at the TDC rally in Goshen did have the 3 rail system. Are you a member of the Thor Diesel Club? If you decide to buy a new Palazzo make sure they give you your free 1 year membership. The TDC is a great group!
Let us know what you decide to buy! :flowers:

anotherone 10-19-2014 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKNOLA (Post 2275687)
How do you know this? Were you trying to trade in your Phaeton and that's how you found out? What did they say?

very funny. I know because I bought a used 6 month old thor and found out the hard way and almost got banned from this forum trying to get thor to correct bad engineering. I had to dump it , they flat out told me second owners get zip zero nada!!!!!!! It had 5 water leaks and it was falling apart. I went all the way up the chain :mad:

RKNOLA 10-19-2014 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anotherone (Post 2275721)
very funny. I know because I bought a used 6 month old thor and found out the hard way and almost got banned from this forum trying to get thor to correct bad engineering. I had to dump it , they flat out told me second owners get zip zero nada!!!!!!! It had 5 water leaks and it was falling apart. I went all the way up the chain :mad:

Oh sorry, I wasn't trying to be funny. Yours is a 2011 so a used 2012 or 2013 is a possiblilty. I didn't mean to offend you.
I am sorry Thor was not very helpful to you. I know what it is like to have a Thor repair issue.

Scarab0088 10-19-2014 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKNOLA (Post 2275700)
Were you at the Pomona show looking to trade in your 07 Damon Outlaw? Are you thinking of buying a new Palazzo? Yes, the new Palazzo at the TDC rally in Goshen did have the 3 rail system. Are you a member of the Thor Diesel Club? If you decide to buy a new Palazzo make sure they give you your free 1 year membership. The TDC is a great group!
Let us know what you decide to buy! :flowers:

Loved all the "new for 2015" stuff at the Pomona show from TMC...and the other brands too - but no, don't think we will trade - for now.

The Palazzo's are BEAUTIFUL with a price point that I just don't see in any other brand. There were some that were even priced less than a new version of our Outlaw (a gas powered RV) :thumb:

While no one can argue about the 2013 slide fiasco, these Palazzo's will get you a beautiful DP for a very good price...and I believe they all now have the 3 rack slide drives.

Safe travels

alpha99 10-20-2014 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdickson (Post 2073930)
I had the exact same problem on my 2013 Thor Challenger. The front cap to body seam split for about 18 inches on each side and I could see sheared off screws in the gap. Camping World repaired it (under warranty) but it has started separating again on one side. I have a June 30 appointment at Elkhart and this is one of the issues on my list.

Therein lies the problem with Thor. Good design ,but poor execution and workmanship in order to get it "out the door" at a (relatively) low price. I would suggest looking at a used DP from a quality manufacturer as an alternative. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

wstrace3 10-20-2014 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anotherone (Post 2275721)

Did you not know when you bought it that the warranty was not transferable ???:nonono:

David T. 10-22-2014 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidki (Post 2263501)

Just purchased a 2015 33.3, it has 3 rails.

Redridge 10-23-2014 07:17 AM

personally, I think the 3rd rails help... but its more to it than that. The bottom and side rollers, the type of rods, the wiring routing, the tolerances that is put together as a system.... in general, its the balance and squareness of the slides that ultimately tears the slide apart. The 2 rail setup does work if the quality of assembling it is within spec...

ChallengerRN 10-23-2014 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redridge (Post 2281421)
personally, I think the 3rd rails help... but its more to it than that. The bottom and side rollers, the type of rods, the wiring routing, the tolerances that is put together as a system.... in general, its the balance and squareness of the slides that ultimately tears the slide apart. The 2 rail setup does work if the quality of assembling it is within spec...

Exactly!!!

Russell

StevieD 10-23-2014 09:07 AM

Ditto

RKNOLA 10-23-2014 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David T. (Post 2281121)
Just purchased a 2015 33.3, it has 3 rails.

Hi and welcome aboard!! There is a thread with all the Palazzo Owners on IRV2 so you can see who has what coach. Also, hopefully they gave you your free 1 yr membership to the Thor Diesel Club. It is a great group of people! You can check out their website at Home There is also a section on the website for FORUMs which is another great learning tool. The website also gives contact info (and pictures) of key players at Thor in case you ever need them.
We will be having our spring rally May 3-8 in Pine Mountain, Georgia. A rally is a great place to meet other Palazzo owners and learn a little about your coach. The spring rally is usually more social based whereas the fall rally in Goshen, Indiana is more learning based.
PM me if you have any other questions,
Karen :flowers:

RKNOLA 10-23-2014 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redridge (Post 2281421)

Just sorry Thor said they will not retrofit any of the 2013's. If there is a fix out there we should ALL be given the chance! 13 was NOT a lucky number for us! :mad:

anotherone 10-23-2014 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wstrace3 (Post 2277002)
Did you not know when you bought it that the warranty was not transferable ???:nonono:

On a motorhome thats a couple of months old ; get real. Its a pretty lousy company that wont stand behind a practically new mh. Also I had an extended warranty and thay flat out said they dont fix bad engineering.

JohnBoyToo 10-23-2014 10:11 AM

As a previous buyer knowing what I know now
and an actively researching buyer,
We have basically stricken ANY Thor brand off our list...
ANYONE who knows us knows of the issues and lack of response from the mfg...
(even my dental hygenist asked about it the other day in that last two times I was in, ours was in the shop!)

Just too many issues and long waits for repairs....

Safetysteve5 11-13-2014 08:15 AM

Ditto on stripped screws, too small of a screw for the application and screw heads broken off. Ditto also on just generally poor & careless workmanship. I've had to vacuum the A/C duct work to remove debris & sawdust that blows out when the A/C is on. Had to replace the glued rubber strips on the entry step leading edges as they would turn under foot when stepped on. Replaced with screwed on aluminum angle. Windshield exterior rubber trim strip came off when driving home from dealer. Had to remove and reinstall the microwave because it rattled like a can of rocks. Had to add rigid tabs under the bottom where it was supported by only the mounting hinge which was damaged on original install. I'm also writing a letter to THOR but I can't finish it as I keep finding things. On the plus side, nothing really major. All electric and electronic components work well. No slide issues so far but we also hold our breathe every time we use them. Finally, ditto on the manual and other documentation . . . almost useless. 2015 THOR Palazzo 33.3 w/ 2015 Ford Explorer toad

Safetysteve5 11-13-2014 08:24 AM

We had the same issue and the leak turned out to be behind the bedside nightstand on the driver side. The engine air intake conduit and the shore power cord pass thru this space and the floor was not sealed properly. Several large gaps. Got out the old "great stuff" foam and fixed the issue.

wstrace3 11-13-2014 08:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Safetysteve5 (Post 2308806)
Ditto on stripped screws, too small of a screw for the application and screw heads broken off. Ditto also on just generally poor & careless workmanship. I've had to vacuum the A/C duct work to remove debris & sawdust that blows out when the A/C is on. Had to replace the glued rubber strips on the entry step leading edges as they would turn under foot when stepped on. Replaced with screwed on aluminum angle. Windshield exterior rubber trim strip came off when driving home from dealer. Had to remove and reinstall the microwave because it rattled like a can of rocks. Had to add rigid tabs under the bottom where it was supported by only the mounting hinge which was damaged on original install. I'm also writing a letter to THOR but I can't finish it as I keep finding things. On the plus side, nothing really major. All electric and electronic components work well. No slide issues so far but we also hold our breathe every time we use them. Finally, ditto on the manual and other documentation . . . almost useless. 2015 THOR Palazzo 33.3 w/ 2015 Ford Explorer toad

Be careful putting the rubber trim strip back on around the windshield. I glued mine back twice. Should have left it alone but had the dealer pull it off and install another one and they cracked my windshield. Windshield was delivered last night to a glass place in Metarie, LA and I'll drive down next Tuesday for the install. Thor paid for it even though the dealer cracked it and I was out of warranty.:D That crate is 285 lbs. yikes !!

ChallengerRN 11-13-2014 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Safetysteve5 (Post 2308806)

You can save your ink on your letter writing. I did all that 2 year ago. Thor responded and were very nice and they said they planed to take care of it. Lol. Same stuff today!!My take is there will be no change.

As to the sawdust & trash in duct work. I had a air conditioner company hook a duct cleaning vac to mine. No more sawdust. It sucked it all out.

Russell

RKNOLA 11-14-2014 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wstrace3 (Post 2308818)
Be careful putting the rubber trim strip back on around the windshield. I glued mine back twice. Should have left it alone but had the dealer pull it off and install another one and they cracked my windshield. Windshield was delivered last night to a glass place in Metarie, LA and I'll drive down next Tuesday for the install. Thor paid for it even though the dealer cracked it and I was out of warranty.:D That crate is 285 lbs. yikes !!

Hi Billy,
We are only about 45-50 minutes away from Metairie so make sure you bring our phone number with you in case you run into any trouble. Good Luck on the repairs!
Karen :flowers:

Safetysteve5 11-15-2014 07:32 AM

The rubber strip on the windshield seems to be just finish trim, don't think it's part of the actual seal. Problem is, on that big, flat, billboard of a windshield the air at highway speeds is ripping across the surface towards the edges. If it gets under the edge of that trim strip it will pull it up. I glued mine back and then sealed the edge against the glass with silicone so no wind can get under the edge. No problems since. Hard to figure how they cracked your windshield unless they tried to remove it to reseal it.

wstrace3 11-15-2014 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Safetysteve5 (Post 2311227)
The rubber strip on the windshield seems to be just finish trim, don't think it's part of the actual seal. Problem is, on that big, flat, billboard of a windshield the air at highway speeds is ripping across the surface towards the edges. If it gets under the edge of that trim strip it will pull it up. I glued mine back and then sealed the edge against the glass with silicone so no wind can get under the edge. No problems since. Hard to figure how they cracked your windshield unless they tried to remove it to reseal it.

sealing against of the edge of the glass with silicone should definitely fix. My problem was I was getting too much moisture under the seal and loosened up the glue.
I don't know how they broke my windshield but the pic doesn't show the break at the top corner. You can feel the crack even inside the window. He was probably using a hammer to put the darn gasket back around and missed.. That would not surprise me.