iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Entegra Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/)
-   -   North Carolina to Brookings Oregon (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/north-carolina-to-brookings-oregon-209231.html)

hogdriver 07-01-2014 05:49 AM

Curt

I'm from the Rocky's and I've driven west every way you can think. I70 is doable in your rig but there are some steep gradients west of Denver leading to the Eisenhower tunnel. I80 is not as steep. I guess my decision would be do you want to get there and enjoy the view, or get there faster? I think I70 is more scenic, but I80 faster. Since your destination is Oregon I think I80 is more aligned with your journey. If you have time plan your trip thru Wyoming to hit Tetons NP. It is one of our favorites. After that head towards Coeur d'Alene NP. Your kids will enjoy it and it will be cooler than a further south route. IMHO

Curtisgeiger 07-01-2014 07:32 AM

Thanks Dave -- think we will shoot for I80

Curt

Sent from my iPhone

Curtisgeiger 07-01-2014 07:41 AM

Even though it does take us all the way down to Sacramento CA.

Sent from my iPhone

tedgard01 07-01-2014 08:58 AM

I-80 if you don't have time, but agree I-70 is far more scenic if you have time.

You said this is your first cross country excursion. I just got back to NC going the I-70 route. Last year I did the I-80 route.

If you have time, and have not spent time in Utah, you should consider it. Arches, Bryce Canyon, Zion, etc, etc...

I would even suggest taking I-40 over to AZ, take in the Carlsbad Caverns, Grand Canyon, then head north to Utah.

But if you need just a quick trip and deadheading to the destination, I-80 is fine. Just be aware that I-40 is a straight and quick shot from NC to NM, AZ or even CA before heading north as well.

Curtisgeiger 07-01-2014 09:01 AM

Thanks Tedgard.

Our westbound leg will be fast.

Our eastbound leg will be much more scenic

Curt

Sent from my iPhone

wmpbauer 07-03-2014 08:18 PM

Oh heck Curtis, just point your nose West and drive.

Curtisgeiger 07-08-2014 05:25 PM

Pat,

Just jumping in the coach and heading west without some decent planning might be an option for some.

If it was only me any the wife -- minimal planning might be ok.

With a family of 6 I take my responsibility for safety seriously.

Thanks to all for the responses and the heads up on I80 over the mountains.

Curt

Sent from my iPhone

DSL417 07-08-2014 06:05 PM

And I5 from Sacremento North to Oregon is very scenic. Some pretty good climbs will require some gearing down. I dropped to 44 on the tranny to avoid lugging and maintaining speed at 35 mph or higher. You can take 101 North, but be aware that there is some twist turning and narrow two lane in several places. Roads across from I5 to the coast seem to be few and far between. Crater Lake Natl Park and Redwoods Natl Park are beautiful in Or and CA. Have a great rip.

Whitewater18 07-09-2014 08:21 AM

Yep, using I-80 to cross the continental divide is your best bet. Melvo's route is pretty good, however I would get up to I-80 from I-70 on I-29 from Kansas City to Omaha.
I-80 can be windy anytime of the year, especially with a storm front going through. August is usually quiet, so you shouldn't have much trouble.
Avoid I-70 through Colorado unless you want to test out your ability with grades and high altitude. Two passes, Eisenhower Tunnel at 11,100', and Vail Pass at 10,600' are not really that hard, but takes a lot of time. However the scenery through Colorado is 2nd to none.

tedgard01 07-09-2014 07:02 PM

North Carolina to Brookings Oregon

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitewater18 (Post 2129765)
... I-70 through Colorado... to test out your ability with grades and high altitude. Two passes, Eisenhower Tunnel at 11,100', and Vail Pass at 10,600' are not really that hard, but takes a lot of time. However the scenery through Colorado is 2nd to none.

Just got home a few days ago after doing this route. Oh what fun! Loved the scenery! Even enjoyed the challenge of the grades. My RV did not enjoy the altitude, it was really struggling for oxygen even more than me.... It chugged until I came down below 5K feet, then ran like always.

If you get a chance, stay at the KOA in Central City, CO. You will go on ~12 degree down grades and then take a hire pin turn to go right back up an ~12 degree grade up to the top of the mountain to get to the park, at an altitude of just under 10K feet. But parking in their upper "pull-in" sites, it is a fantastic view out the front window;
Attachment 67332

Curtisgeiger 07-09-2014 07:34 PM

Great option for an overnight in CO

Thanks

Curt

Sent from my iPhone

Flora 07-09-2014 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hogdriver (Post 2117878)
Curt

I'm from the Rocky's and I've driven west every way you can think. I70 is doable in your rig but there are some steep gradients west of Denver leading to the Eisenhower tunnel. I80 is not as steep. I guess my decision would be do you want to get there and enjoy the view, or get there faster? I think I70 is more scenic, but I80 faster. Since your destination is Oregon I think I80 is more aligned with your journey. If you have time plan your trip thru Wyoming to hit Tetons NP. It is one of our favorites. After that head towards Coeur d'Alene NP. Your kids will enjoy it and it will be cooler than a further south route. IMHO

We just returned from a cross country trip thru Denver on I70, towing our CRV. Down to 45 mph at Eisenhower tunnel, but no problems elsewhere. Ran like a champ! Scenery just spectacular. Remember to deflate your mattresses so they don't pop in the high altitude! The hairy road is coming down out of Grand Teton through Jackson Hole. 10% grade and very twisty. Fortunately not very long. Enjoy the journey!

Curtisgeiger 07-30-2014 11:18 AM

We depart on our cross country adventure tomorrow morning at 0400 headed West on I-40...hope to see some of you out there.

Curt

Sent from my iPhone

brobox 07-30-2014 11:34 AM

Have a GREAT trip Curt and travel problem free.