iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Preparing for Service at Camping World (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/preparing-for-service-at-camping-world-210563.html)

Gary801 07-07-2014 06:27 AM

Preparing for Service at Camping World

I recently made an appointment at Camping World in Nampa Idaho to have a supplemental braking system installed in my tow vehicle. After making the appointment I was informed that I had to prepay or they would not do the work. So I prepaid. My question is has anybody else ever had this happen to them and is it a standard policy of Camping World? My problem with this is that I have had thousands of dollars worth of work done at other RV Maintenance facilities and not once was I ever told I had to prepay. Yes I know if I don't like their policy I could go some place else but that's not the point.

Also if you did have work done by Camping World were you happy with the work? I have heard a lot of negatives and a lot of pros as far as their work is concerned and seeing as how this is the first time I have used them I would just like other RV'ers opinion of their work.

Anyway I would appreciate any responses to this as right now I am kind of debating whether to keep the appointment or cancel it

bdickson 07-07-2014 06:56 AM

I have had work done by Camping World locations around the country and I have never been asked to prepay. Are they asking for prepayment for the labor or just the parts? If they have to special order the parts they might want to cover themselves, but overall I think this is a red flag.

bamaboy473 07-07-2014 06:58 AM

If you don't have a choice of service facilities, then it is what it is.

If you do have a choice, shop around for some shop that makes you feel comfortable. CW has your hackles up even before starting the work, and I wouldn't like to be feeling that way.

I've never heard of pre-pay service. They don't need to ensure payment, because they have their hands on your property. Something's off....don't go.

mricet1005 07-07-2014 07:03 AM

I had to give a deposit of about 50% to order the parts. The remainder was not paid until I checked the work and the tech demonstrated the operation. I had entire toad setup done. My experience was positive and all has weighed well since the installation. Work done at CW in Lakewood, NJ.

Gary801 07-07-2014 07:45 AM

It's prepay for the entire Job ($1285.00) not just parts. He told me the demand for their service bays was so huge that they had to do this to ensure I show up. Personally I find that line of reasoning offensive but my problem is that we RV full time and are only are only here for a couple more weeks. We just started towing 4 down a couple weeks ago and every state requires a supplemental braking system for anything you tow over a certain weight.

hometool 07-07-2014 07:55 AM

I would be looking for another shop does not sound right to me :cool:

Bamaman 07-07-2014 08:13 AM

Sounds as if that location has a shortage of working capital.

I never would want to do business with a repair facility that wouldn't take my word that I'd show up. Or, one that has to require Cash before Delivery.

bamaboy473 07-07-2014 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamaman (Post 2126494)
Sounds as if that location has a shortage of working capital.

I never would want to do business with a repair facility that wouldn't take my word that I'd show up. Or, one that has to require Cash before Delivery.

If demand is so high, and if they don't have several projects sitting on the lot awaiting a slot for service, and if they worry about no-shows, then they could take a $200 deposit against you showing up. Forfeit if you're more than 15 minutes late, and apply towards the job if you show up.

To ask for the whole thing smacks of cash flow problems, like another poster said.

Gary RVRoamer 07-07-2014 08:58 AM

Prepay for the special order parts is normal but the business about demand for the bays and no-shows is a lot of malarkey (I'm using an acceptable phrase for it!). A deposit maybe, but not full payment.

But you are where you are and have already paid, so just be warned for the next time. There would not be a "next time" for at that establishment, though.

HD4Mark 07-07-2014 09:15 AM

One major problem I see with pre-paying the entire amount is if the work is unacceptable you have no recourse. "I'm not paying until this is made right" goes a long way to getting it done right.

TonyDi 07-07-2014 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HD4Mark (Post 2126585)
One major problem I see with pre-paying the entire amount is if the work is unacceptable you have no recourse. "I'm not paying until this is made right" goes a long way to getting it done right.

I agree!!

ronjhall 07-07-2014 10:51 AM

This does not sound normal for CW. I would put a post on RV.NET Dear Marcus Forum.
Camping World Service and Installation asking the same question.

cb5300 07-07-2014 11:12 AM

For the life of me I will NEVER understand why people shop or have work done at CW???? Prices to high, and service work as a rule to sorry... JMHO! :angel:

Sheriffbubba 07-07-2014 11:22 AM

Several years ago I had campingworld install roadmaster sway bars on the rig I had at that time... I was required to prepay for the parts because they had to order them. When the job was completed, I paid for the labor and a few "shop supplies" (and sales tax).

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum