iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   New Member Check-In (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/)
-   -   New Member (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/new-member-212411.html)

Mblank66 07-20-2014 07:52 PM

Hi:

My Name is Mike. My wife and I purchased our first RV (a 2013 Itasca Navion) about a year ago. While I am retired, my wife is still working in her family business. This has limited the time we have available for RVing. I am 68 and she is a few years younger.

For most of the first year, we put very few miles on the unit, mostly taking 3 day weekends within 2 hours of home (near Los Angeles). We purchased a membership in an RV resort in Lytle Creek, CA which is about 70 miles from the house. Normally, I drive up Friday morning and hook up the Navion by myself. Then my wife joins me after work. It still takes me several tries to park the unit properly without the help of a copilot.

We took our first real trip the last week in June, taking the Navion to Humboldt Redwoods State Park, about 630 miles north of LA. Once there, we joined a group of tent campers. Our group leader was concerned about allowing us to bring the RV. I assured him that we would not run the generator and be as considerate as possible to our neighbors.*

This was our first experience dry camping. One thing I learned is that the inverter uses battery power and is best kept off when it is not absolutely needed. We were parked under a couple of redwoods so the solar panel on the roof was pretty useless. By day 3 our house batteries were dying. I was suffering from a cold so decided to skip the group hike that morning. As the campsite was deserted, I was able to run the generator for an hour. That bought us sufficient electricity for the next 2 days, when we left for home.

The following week, I took the Navion up to Lytle Creek where I had rented a cabin for my daughter in law and grandchildren. That gave me a couple of quality days with the kids. As they headed home, my wife joined me with our 4yo granddaughter. The pool at our RV resort was not heated and I hate swimming in cold water. However, I dutifully took my granddaughter to the pool on 3 consecutive days so she could continuously climb out and then jump into my arms.

Our most recent adventure was a 2 day trip to San Diego so I could watch the Mets play the Padres. On this trip, we learned a valuable lesson. We had packed a lawn chair in the one compartment where the locking mechanism was exposed to the items being stored. The chair shifted while we were driving and the key would not turn in the lock. Of course, we also kept our water hose in that compartment, so needed to get out fairly quickly as our fresh water tank was down to a third. Luckily we were directed to a mobile locksmith who came out in 30 minuted and drilled out the lock. I consider this incident an expensive lesson in careful packing.

Skip426 07-20-2014 08:24 PM

:welcome:Glad to have you join us.
I'm hoping that you continue to learn about RVing in a less expensive way.:flowers:

DieselTech39 07-20-2014 10:13 PM

:welcome:

Glad you're aboard. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.

JohnRR 07-20-2014 10:26 PM

That's the way memories are made.

Medico 07-21-2014 04:58 AM

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...298df81aed.gif Welcome and glad to meet you!

Fred1609 07-21-2014 06:45 AM

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like your ready for some longer trips. Cold swims with the grandkids...that's the stuff memories are made off.

Safe and Happy Travels.

Chiefbvfd 07-21-2014 06:55 AM

Welcome aboard and happy trails........:)

MSHappyCampers 07-21-2014 07:25 AM

Hi Mike! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the bunch! :dance:

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless! :thumb::D

TonyDi 07-21-2014 07:33 AM

Glad to have you here with us. Happy Trails!!

myshaggydog 07-21-2014 08:38 AM

Welcome to the Forum and we hope you have many great camping adventures. Best of luck.

Happy RV'ing

Hudgens 07-21-2014 10:27 PM

Welcome to the irv2 gang! Glad you decided to join. DW and I looked at the Navions a year ago; they are really nice units. Hope you continue to enjoy it and wish safe travels to you!