iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Palazzo Motorhomes (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f281/)
-   -   Palazzo Reviews (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f281/palazzo-reviews-217362.html)

bevo55 08-27-2014 07:14 PM

Palazzo Reviews

My husband and I are contemplating purchasing a 2014 Thor Palazzo 36.1. We are seeking reviews from other Palazzo 36.1 owners, any information on this motor home would be helpful. Thank you!

RVTexasYall 08-27-2014 08:59 PM

We don't have a 36.1, but we love our 2014 Palazzo 33.2!

StevieD 08-28-2014 04:11 AM

Ditto

Deucerod 08-28-2014 05:27 AM

We love our 33.2 Palazzo. It has provided us with reliable relaxation and always gets compliments on its good looks. As first time RVers, we had a short learning curve to get to that level of satisfaction, but that is where we are now. Our slides work perfect, the view out that massive windshield is inspiring, our handling is excellent and the fuel economy is consistently good. I am certain there is no other motorhome that provides all the features found in our Palazzo at anywhere near the price.

TK IV 08-28-2014 06:01 AM

We have a 2014 36.1. The layout is great, especially the rear bath. The new ones have a bigger engine but the 300 seems to be fine so far. There is a huge amount of storage underneath. We are happy with the coach. That does not mean that there have not been problems. Drawers opening while underway, Upper cabinet door hinges coming loose, house water pump failure.

As I said before, we are happy with the coach.

bevo55 08-28-2014 10:46 AM

Thank you all for your quick responses! We are concerned about all the slide issues, and the size of the diesel. We plan on taking a trip up to Canada and Alaska, and did not know if the diesel was large enough to get us through the mountains. TK IV, have you been in the mountains with yours, any problems? We love the layout of the 36.1 too, because of the rear bath!

Gina & Randy

Workingrver 08-28-2014 11:03 AM

This summer we took our 2014 - 36.1 with 5 grandchildren from Orlando to New York then across to Niagra falls and back thru the virginia mountains. Had a ball! Loved every minutes. I had a Hurricane before and the Palazzo with the diesel was great, plenty of power and the air assist in the mountains was terrific. I did not tow but I don't think that would have been a problem.

Redridge 08-28-2014 06:54 PM

we were in the rockies with our 33.3 this summer... we were at 13k+ feet elevation and had no issues going up and down those elevation. We were heavy with a 4 door Jeep tow and the exhaust brakes were great. Though we were only moving between 30-45 miles at those elevation. So... the freightliner aspect of the MH should be pretty good. The build of the MH could be better... but in due time, you have to iron them out. Pretty happy with our MH.

ChallengerRN 08-29-2014 07:27 AM

The motor should be just fine for you. We traveled all over the US with the 300 motor it done great.

I owned the 33.2 for awhile with some issues but know nothing about the 36.1

Russell

alindsay 08-29-2014 04:54 PM

Just make sure you spend a LONG time inspecting the entire coach before leaving the dealer. There are a lot of quality issues and you will want to make sure that they get addressed before pulling away if possible.

I have a 2014 36.1 and love it. It has had a few issues and I'm starting to see uneven wear on the big slide but so far so good. I'm headed to Poudre Canyon (west of Ft Collins) Sept 6th and hope to go up a gravel mountain road for camping at 8500 feet. I tow a Jeep 4 door and will unhook it before going up the gravel road I need to take.

If I can make it up this road, then I will literly be a Happy Camper. I'll try to report back in a couple of weeks but from what I've seen so far with the coach and 300 HP engine, I should be OK.

We love the layout too..the bath in back seems to give it more room.

bradrg 08-29-2014 08:34 PM

We have a 2014 36.1, it is a later in the year model that came from the factory with the 3x track on the slide.

Our issues are no more than I've had with new cars- foreign or domestic and our dealer (Byerley) has been fantastic.

We briefly had a 32' class C and love the DP. We have taken trips to KY, Nashville and of more interest to you Seattle. We had no issues in the Rockies and routinely passed trucks on the inclines. I must add that we were not towing.

While the 2015 does have a larger engine, I understand the additional torque is not that significant.

On the trip to FL my wife and daughter-in-law (yes the guys had to work) ran into a friend stranded in the RV park while waiting for replacement parts for his stuck-in-out-position slide on his late model Phaeton. Moral of the story they all have issues from time to time.

Bradrg
St Louis
2014 36.1

bevo55 08-29-2014 09:14 PM

Palazzo Reviews

Thank you all for such detailed responses. We have discovered from reading all the RV posts, and extensive looking, watching all the YouTube video's, that all new Motor Homes, will have issues. It doesn't matter what make it is, because even some of the more expensive ones have issues. It's just like a new home, you have to work out the kinks. We have not found another Motor Home that can deliver all the amenities you get in a Palazzo for the price. We feel better about the slides since they have added the 3rd support, and the model we are looking at does not have a lot of weight on the large slide, because the kitchen is on the other side. I think we may be about ready to pull the trigger. We hope to meet you all on the road someday! Thanks again for your help!

Butte64 08-30-2014 07:07 AM

Gina & Randy,
You don't mention anything about prior experience with RVs and I think that is a key point. For those with no prior experience, there are a lot of systems on the Palazzo to learn and many people, especially those without prior experience, have problems because they do not understand how everything works.

I have a 33.1 which has the same basic systems and chassis as the 36.1 and have over 14K miles on it now with a recent 6000+ mile trip over many very high mountain passes. It has enough power to go at a reasonable speed until getting stuck behind a slow truck. Then there is not enough additional power to pass. On the downhill side, use of the exhaust brake is critical.

I cannot emphasize too much what others have said about a throrough PDI. I took most of two days with a technician to make sure everything worked or was fixed. Also I stayed in it overnight before signing the papers to make sure I knew how to operate things as well as verifying they worked.

Another thing some miss is reading the manuals. The bag is huge but you don't have to wait until you get the paper manuals from the dealer. You can get both the Palazzo and the Freightliner manual online to study in advance. Unfortunately the Palazzo manual has several things that only apply to the Tuscany but is a good start. The Freightliner manual is much better.

Also consider going to Camp Freightliner as well as joining the Thor Diesel Club. The information and support at the rallys is invaluable.

Last but not least is this forum. While the emphasis may be on bad things that have happened to people, there is a wealth of information that will help you look for potential issues and resolve many questions and problems.

Best wishes.

TK IV 08-31-2014 06:28 AM

Good job Jerry...

Indianjim 09-01-2014 08:29 AM

Palazzo 36.1 Review

We have had my 36.1 since June 2013. We have 14,000 miles on it. We moved up from a Class C to this DP. We were in love with the rear bath and the full wall slide.

Almost all of my issues were fit and finish quality issues. I'm convinced Thor has no QC department at all.

Two of the most distressing issues were the rear wardrobe that continually flew open while underway and the shower stall door not fitting properly. Thor said they had no fix for the wardrobe. I fixed it. CW made an unsuccessful attempt to fix the shower door. The wall is 5/8" out of plumb and the door could not be adjusted until I removed it and trimmed the aluminum channel.

Our large slide failed after about 36 operations. Fortunately it failed closed. Fixed by Thor, it has given no more problems.

We had a long list of minor items but CW was unresponsive and it was easier to fix them myself. A poor Dealer makes the pain of Thor ownership worse.

The primary disatisfier has been the loud air conditioner. After the Class C, we didn't know any better until we were in a better quality Class A coach and were surprised that you could carry on a normal conversation with the AC running.

At that time we started to identify other Palazzo shortcomings, most of which have been addressed by the blog on "modifications" to the Palazzo. We bought a Magneshade and "flip" shades for the front windows because Thor was too cheap to provide day shades from the factory. Air horns, mudflaps, the list goes on and on. Others have had to install faucets that are actually usable.

Seems like most of the modifications have been to address Palazzo shortcomings or to replace the cheap components that they installed at the Factory.

The transfer switch is under the bed, ours started buzzing loudly and vibrating the bed. No fix from Thor. I isolated it in rubber.

The howling cooling fan in the electrical cabinet is right next to the bedroom window. So is the noise of the water heater when running on propane.

Ever notice how inconveniently the electrical outlets are placed? How about the bathroom light switches? The block heater switch on the 36.1 is in the corner of the rear bath. You only have to climb over the bed to get to it. There are two useless duplex outlets on the bed frame but none on the night stands. I'm pretty sure that no one from Thor Engineering ever actually camped in one of these to evaluate device placement.

The screw that holds the refrigerator closed gets my wife. Look at competitors refrigerators, they don't use a screw.

The Freightliner chassis is great! Great power train and gear selection. I love the engine. Unfortunately Thor spec'd drum brakes to reduce cost and the brakes rust in damp weather and squeal horribly when first applied after overnight or two.

I recognize that the Palazzo was configured to hit a price point. It is an "entry level" DP. I did not realize how many corners were cut to reach that point. Because of the quality issues, we are ready to move up to a higher grade DP. We have learned a great deal about DP's and what to look for in our next unit.

It will not be a Thor product.

Indianjim 09-01-2014 09:10 AM

On the upside. The basement storage is great. The large doors on the larger basement (36.1) are unique to Palazzo and are very helpful. We like the mudroom, also a unique feature. That said, unfortunately most of the basement areas leaked when in heavy rain.

Butte64 09-01-2014 10:00 AM

I got tired of the screw on the refrigerator and was not adept enough to install fancier mods. So I just put 2 Command hooks on the doors and 2 Command hooks on the enclosure then use big rubber bands. Works fast and cheap.

ChallengerRN 09-01-2014 02:48 PM

Well Jim. I think I had all your same issues. As everyone knows I did get mine traded off.

We just got home today from a 2000 mile trip around Lake Superior in our new coach. Had one issue with the step. Other than that zero issues. We drove on some very rough roads that would have loosened half the screws in the Palazzo.

I did buy a little nicer coach but at least it not full of sawdust and extra parts (screws, plastic, etc).

And just like you I'll never own a Thor product again.

Russell

tcopeland 09-02-2014 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChallengerRN (Post 2209126)
Well Jim. I think I had all your same issues. As everyone knows I did get mine traded off.

We just got home today from a 2000 mile trip around Lake Superior in our new coach. Had one issue with the step. Other than that zero issues. We drove on some very rough roads that would have loosened half the screws in the Palazzo.

I did buy a little nicer coach but at least it not full of sawdust and extra parts (screws, plastic, etc).

And just like you I'll never own a Thor product again.

Russell

Just curious;
Why would someone who dislikes their Thor product so much that they would trade it off, still be posting on the Thor thread?
Seems like they would have moved on up to bigger and better.

wstrace3 09-02-2014 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcopeland (Post 2210383)
Just curious;
Why would someone who dislikes their Thor product so much that they would trade it off, still be posting on the Thor thread?

x2.. tom

wondering the same.

Indianjim 09-02-2014 10:27 AM

In this thread Bevo55 asked:
Palazzo Reviews
My husband and I are contemplating purchasing a 2014 Thor Palazzo 36.1. We are seeking reviews from other Palazzo 36.1 owners, any information on this motor home would be helpful. Thank you!

I was simply responding to their query.
I'm pleased that you are satisfied with your coaches.

I learned alot from buying this, it will cost me to trade and move up. The cost of tuition is high. BTY: This whole forum is loaded with inputs about Palazzo problems and modifications. Most of the modifications are improvements to Thor shortcomings. I would not recommend a Palazzo, would you?

wstrace3 09-02-2014 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianjim (Post 2210457)
In this thread Bevo55 asked:
Palazzo Reviews

I was simply responding to their query.
I'm pleased that you are satisfied with your coaches.

I learned alot from buying this, it will cost me to trade and move up. The cost of tuition is high.

Hey Jim,

Not to speak for Tom but he was responding to ChallengerRN who no longer is a Palazzo owner. You are correct... The cost of tuition is way too high and I agree with you.

Billy

bevo55 09-02-2014 11:16 AM

Thank you again, for all your responses. I am so sorry that some of you are so disappointed with your Thor product. So, my question to you, if you had $ 200K what would you buy? We are first time RV owners and would like a diesel pusher. We are looking at new and used. We would like the residential refrigerator and the stackable W/D and we want a product that has no carpet, as we will be traveling with our furry friend. We don't like the units with shiny tile floors or the fake fireplaces. We do not need a unit with bunks, but we would love a 1/2 bath. We really like the floor plan and finishes of the Palazzo 36.1, but you guys have us terrified!

Gina

ChallengerRN 09-02-2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Just curious;

Ok. Here goes copeland-- # 1 as I have said many times the 33.1 owners are the lucky ones and will have less issues because the large slide is the big issue. And you have the 33.1. Lucky you.

Now go over to the FR site & you will see me over there. Quite happy I might say.

People interested in buying a product should see all sides. You like yours great. I didn't great. Both sides??

What is interesting to me is that many of the people that once were 100% behind Thor (myself in that group) are falling beside the way because of the issues that are coming up.

I'm really surprised that the forum let you post what you did but I am certainly good with it. All sides should be heard.

I see people all the time that own other coaches post on all threads.

I hope that answers your questions. So bottom line is I'd be a little upset if all I was allowed to read was the good stuff then find out after I spent $145,000 there was another side.

Russell

ChallengerRN 09-02-2014 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevo55 (Post 2210544)
Thank you again, for all your responses. I am so sorry that some of you are so disappointed with your Thor product. So, my question to you, if you had $ 200K what would you buy? We are first time RV owners and would like a diesel pusher. We are looking at new and used. We would like the residential refrigerator and the stackable W/D and we want a product that has no carpet, as we will be traveling with our furry friend. We don't like the units with shiny tile floors or the fake fireplaces. We do not need a unit with bunks, but we would love a 1/2 bath. We really like the floor plan and finishes of the Palazzo 36.1, but you guys have us terrified!

Gina

Gina.

I looked for a long time to find something without tile or carpet.

That a tuff find. Some coach builders will let you do some custom modifications. We toured the Tiffin factory in Red Bay Alabama. They might do that for you?? Newmar has a coach under $200,000 too I think. We did not tour their plant but I believe they allow so custom builds.

Past that I'm not sure. We ended up with tile floors. Somewhat prettier (maybe). Harder to keep clean.

Russell

gmadams 09-02-2014 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevo55 (Post 2210544)

Gina

Gina,

If you are going to spend $200k, then you should be looking at RVs that have list prices closer to $300k. For under $200k you could pick up a new Tuscany XTE and have a very nice unit. I am not knocking the Palazzo as I had one and loved it. We just decided to upgrade to the Tuscany and have no regrets with it. The Palazzo served us well for over two years. Sure we had some problems but I don't think that there is a motorhome built that doesn't have some issues with it.

Best of Luck in your searches,
Gary

StevieD 09-02-2014 06:35 PM

Never had problem with large slide in 33.2. Just keep it lubed a be careful being level.

RKNOLA 09-02-2014 08:42 PM

Quote:

Just curious;

For the same reason we get people that own Newmar, or Fleetwood, or Tiffin, or any number of other RV brands posting on the Palazzo threads.

Butte64 09-03-2014 10:47 AM

I sympathize with those with major problems and keep my fingers crossed every time I do anything with the Palazzo. However it is unfortunately true that other manufacturers also have problems. I personally know someone with a Newmar who is totally disgusted with the problems they have had and lack of support, wants to get rid of it, and will not consider another Newmar.
Last night I was talking to my neighbor who has an Itasca Meridien and has problems with all of his slides at different times.

If I could afford more than a Palazzo I would be looking but would keep in mind that I could be paying a whole lot more and not have any guarantee of not having any problems. Plus, I like the MPG of the Palazzo much better than a 400 HP guzzler.

But if I win the lottery, everything changes!

tcopeland 09-03-2014 10:50 AM

Agree totally!

patch-y 09-03-2014 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianjim (Post 2208571)
We have had my 36.1 since June 2013. We have 14,000 miles on it. We moved up from a Class C to this DP. We were in love with the rear bath and the full wall slide.

Almost all of my issues were fit and finish quality issues. I'm convinced Thor has no QC department at all.

Two of the most distressing issues were the rear wardrobe that continually flew open while underway and the shower stall door not fitting properly. Thor said they had no fix for the wardrobe. I fixed it. CW made an unsuccessful attempt to fix the shower door. The wall is 5/8" out of plumb and the door could not be adjusted until I removed it and trimmed the aluminum channel.

Our large slide failed after about 36 operations. Fortunately it failed closed. Fixed by Thor, it has given no more problems.

We had a long list of minor items but CW was unresponsive and it was easier to fix them myself. A poor Dealer makes the pain of Thor ownership worse.

The primary disatisfier has been the loud air conditioner. After the Class C, we didn't know any better until we were in a better quality Class A coach and were surprised that you could carry on a normal conversation with the AC running.

At that time we started to identify other Palazzo shortcomings, most of which have been addressed by the blog on "modifications" to the Palazzo. We bought a Magneshade and "flip" shades for the front windows because Thor was too cheap to provide day shades from the factory. Air horns, mudflaps, the list goes on and on. Others have had to install faucets that are actually usable.

Seems like most of the modifications have been to address Palazzo shortcomings or to replace the cheap components that they installed at the Factory.

The transfer switch is under the bed, ours started buzzing loudly and vibrating the bed. No fix from Thor. I isolated it in rubber.

The howling cooling fan in the electrical cabinet is right next to the bedroom window. So is the noise of the water heater when running on propane.

Ever notice how inconveniently the electrical outlets are placed? How about the bathroom light switches? The block heater switch on the 36.1 is in the corner of the rear bath. You only have to climb over the bed to get to it. There are two useless duplex outlets on the bed frame but none on the night stands. I'm pretty sure that no one from Thor Engineering ever actually camped in one of these to evaluate device placement.

The screw that holds the refrigerator closed gets my wife. Look at competitors refrigerators, they don't use a screw.

The Freightliner chassis is great! Great power train and gear selection. I love the engine. Unfortunately Thor spec'd drum brakes to reduce cost and the brakes rust in damp weather and squeal horribly when first applied after overnight or two.

I recognize that the Palazzo was configured to hit a price point. It is an "entry level" DP. I did not realize how many corners were cut to reach that point. Because of the quality issues, we are ready to move up to a higher grade DP. We have learned a great deal about DP's and what to look for in our next unit.

It will not be a Thor product.

Well....... your comments are interesting....... for each $50k of price increase you can expect $2000 dollar increase in interest payments and 15% annual reduction in vehicle value for depreciation($6500 per year) and at added cost for insurance(lets say $100 per year/$50 k) for a total annual increase over what you are now paying of $8600/year /$50k,

To get a rig with disc brakes you will(if buying new) likely be at $280k or more.....probably at least $100k more than you paid for the palazzo.....(but more likely $120k more than you paid for the Palazzo).......plus your fuel mileage will be down to 8mpg. So for a $280k unit you will be paying around $20k more per year than you are now.......plus more for fuel......

So do it.......what's holding you back???

I can live with the screw for the frig and the quality things I have repaired because I don't want to pay more than I am now......not because I can't afford it....but rather because these RV's are a poor investment......and i want into the RV at minimum financial loss.

WRT disc brakes...... they are a costly item.......the drum brakes are very competent and yes sometimes they squeal after lack of use........

As far as the placement of electrical outlets and noise from the AC location of light switches etc...... I saw that before I bought my unit.....didn't you???

BTW....my neighbor at the campground I am now in has a brand new American Eagle......probably list price $575k or more......and his leveling jacks would not retract and his slide got stuck.....so I guess you will need to buy a coach of even greater value if you are looking for no problems.

I am now in California with my 33.1, from Florida, almost 5000 miles since I started several months ago....and my unit has been good....... average 11mpg, several problems I have repaired......but nothing to whine about. I have another 6 weeks before I get home and.....at the end of the day...... I don't want to spend another dollar on a motor home....

I like my Palazzo.....it is not perfect.......Thor is not perfect......but I like what it is for what I spent......

When I was in Rocky Mountain NP several weeks ago I spoke with a fella who had a brand new Dutch Star......he said he sold his Prevost because he didn't like having so much money into an rv for the amount of use he gave it...he said the Dutch Star was ok......nothing great.......

Buy a new unit with disc brakes and all you want ..... what's holding you back??

regards
rich

StevieD 09-04-2014 05:35 AM

Well said

Indianjim 09-04-2014 06:04 AM

All I did was state the issues that exist with the 36.1 Palazzo. Those issues are REAL and quantitative, not subjective. If everyone is satisfied with those shortcomings, good for you, Thor will never have to improve.

I didn't expect that my critique would be well received. I don't think anyone should take it personally. There does seem to be a pattern among Palazzo Forum participants that they are sensitive to the quality issues and are on the defensive. Why be satisfied with low quality?

I've not changed my view, the Palazzo is chock full of low quality components. It has great fuel mileage but so did a Yugo.

StevieD 09-04-2014 06:15 AM

I agree there are issues, however all new motorhomes have issues. Even the glorious Prevost builders have issues. I think part if the problem is that most new palazzo owners are new to diesel pushers. Not knowing that NEW motorhomes chocked with standard features have issues until they are repaired. I do not see this as a reason to destroy the resale value of a nice coach, which I believe I have. Contact Thor with you issues and quit messing with the dealers .

plasma800 09-04-2014 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieD (Post 2213389)
I agree there are issues, however all new motorhomes have issues. Even the glorious Prevost builders have issues. I think part if the problem is that most new palazzo owners are new to diesel pushers. Not knowing that NEW motorhomes chocked with standard features have issues until they are repaired. I do not see this as a reason to destroy the resale value of a nice coach, which I believe I have. Contact Thor with you issues and quit messing with the dealers .

I'm a big fan of quality used. You save a boat load of money, and most major issues are "crossing fingers" worked through already.

Quality used in my mind would be American Coach, Monaco / HR (06-09), Beaver, Country Coach, Tiffin, Newmar DSDP or higher. These are the coaches with "good bones" (did I miss any?)

If I were really wanting new, I would buy a Tiffin Allegro Red over a Thor any day. I think Tiffin has nailed the entry level market with the Red, particularly the 33aa which has a KILLER open floor plan and a king size bed (looks HUGE inside) and the 38 bunk model (can't recall the name - qfa? - great all around coach!)

moreover, if it were me, I would buy a tiffin allegro red 2 years old over a new tiffin red, over a thor. The kinds of problems I keep reading about with the thor are the deal / trip killer kinds - "ain't nobody got time for that!"

If I really really really wanted new, I would buy a Newmar Ventana over the Tiffin Allegro Red. Tag axle in a 40 foot - Yes please!

Although, the 06,07,08 country coach with a tag at 40 or 38 foot is an amazing unit. Even as an 07, they are 200k - but one heck of a GREAT coach!!!
Motorhomes for Sale | Country Coach Corporation

The intrigue and the allure's would be in my sights big time.
Inventory | Premier RV

ChallengerRN 09-04-2014 06:33 AM

I disagree totally about the fact that all other coaches have the same issues over & over.

Read any manufacturing company forum you want. Yes some issues.
NOTHING like the same over & over issues on the Palazzo.

I was just over on another site that I hadn't been on in awhile. Just one after another large slide failing.

So my thought is this. We got what we paid for. A cheap DP. I thought all along that I could live with it and that because it was cheaper I'd take my lumps.

Eventually I said why the heck should I have to go on the road & worry EVERY time I run that slide out if it was going to break again???

At some point cheap is no longer worth it. So for me it is worth a few more $$ to have the piece of mind and a happier DW.

Russell

StevieD 09-04-2014 06:43 AM

Maybe you all need to talk with my neighbor that owned a new allegro bus and issues he has had

ChallengerRN 09-04-2014 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasma800 (Post 2213409)
I'm a big fan of quality used. You save a boat load of money, and most major issues are "crossing fingers" worked through already.

Quality used in my mind would be American Coach, Monaco / HR (06-09), Beaver, Country Coach, Tiffin, Newmar DSDP or higher. These are the coaches with "good bones" (did I miss any?)

If I were really wanting new, I would buy a Tiffin Allegro Red over a Thor any day. I think Tiffin has nailed the entry level market with the Red, particularly the 33aa which has a KILLER open floor plan and a king size bed (looks HUGE inside) and the 38 bunk model (can't recall the name - qfa? - great all around coach!)

moreover, if it were me, I would buy a tiffin allegro red 2 years old over a new tiffin red, over a thor. The kinds of problems I keep reading about with the thor are the deal / trip killer kinds - "ain't nobody got time for that!"

If I really really really wanted new, I would buy a Newmar Ventana over the Tiffin Allegro Red. Tag axle in a 40 foot - Yes please!

Although, the 06,07,08 country coach with a tag at 40 or 38 foot is an amazing unit. Even as an 07, they are 200k - but one heck of a GREAT coach!!!

Motorhomes for Sale | Country Coach Corporation

The intrigue and the allure's would be in my sights big time.

Inventory | Premier RV

Very good response Plasma800. Actually answers the original OP questions well. I've watched other of your post. You have researched several coaches.

I looked hard at the Tiffin 33aa, even went to Red Bay & toured the factory. Just was unable to get deal put together.

Good input

Russell

plasma800 09-04-2014 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChallengerRN (Post 2213437)
Very good response Plasma800. Actually answers the original OP questions well. I've watched other of your post. You have researched several coaches.

I looked hard at the Tiffin 33aa, even went to Red Bay & toured the factory. Just was unable to get deal put together.

Good input

Russell

Thanks! One thing is for sure, I have researched them all endlessly over the past 9 months just to see if there was anything out there that was a better bang for the buck over my 05 (notice I still have my 05 - currently on a 5000 mile trek that led me to some awesome small mouth bass fishing in the most remote, pristine spot in them great smokey mountains by the way :).

Further, I have a buddy who picked up a pristine used Berkshire at a killer sub 100K price (heck sub 90k) from Lazy Days - and he loves it. Not an issue one with it!

One thing I have learned about Lazy Days is this. Every coach they list online, they list WAY higher than it's really worth - but you can negotiate like crazy! I reckon they don't want to "appear" cheap, and if a customer doesn't negotiate hard, they win a boodle. The buddy mentioned above negotiated the price IN HALF just by being fighty about it.

Lesson here is, never be afraid to offer lower money and see what happens. If one sticks to their guns, there are some great deals out there.

I have a whole methodology for dealing with RV salesmen, and I considered writing a post on the subject BUT I haven't as it's fairly pointed (not mean) but pointed. Don't want B-613 on me. However, it totally befuddles and disarms the RV salesperson. :blink:

Speaking of all that - What I found moreover was that it was more about the journey than having the perfect floor plan, or the perfect wood color, or that tiled shower. In the end, it's more about get me there safely and with few headaches, get me to places I had only dreamed of seeing - without planes, airports, hotels and expensive drinks in the bar. Get me remote, get me to new cities, get me to new adventures. Get me there with A/C, a fridge, a commode and a shower. Just get me into the adventure. Let's go, let's go!

My wife and I have now clocked about 20,000 miles, have spent almost a total of 6 months on the road over the past year. We've boodocked deep in the desert of arizona where there wasn't a soul around for 10 miles - we've toured the redwood forest, we've watched fireworks over stone mountain, we ridden the tram to the top of the mountain in Albuquerque, we've fished the smokey mountains, we've slept next to the most beautiful river in all of Arkansas, and next we are touring New Jersey, Vermont, Maine, Boston, North and South Carolina.

This is why we own rv's right? No one thinks it fun to own an rv just for the headaches they ALL inherently have. But getting the "bones" right will keep your rig moving instead of in the shop 6 months out of the year. A lot of things inside can be changed, but the bones can't without much and great effort.

Have i mentioned how much I love the 33aa? :)

RKNOLA 09-04-2014 10:36 AM

Some good points from all. Yes, I have noticed that some Palazzo Owners are very defensive about the "quality" of their coach. I don't agree that the short comings of a coach should be excepted as common place. The "all RV's have flaws" mentality is always going to assure that your RV (no matter what make/model) will have problems. We as consumers need to stop excusing poor performance on the part of the RV manufacturer! Would you have open heart surgery from a doctor while thinking "well, you know all doctors make mistakes during surgery"???? "If they leave a scapel inside of me it is just all part of having surgery" NO!! That is NOT the way things should work!! I remember when "Made in the USA" meant something!!! Maybe these RV maufacturers have grown so used to being paid top dollar for less than standard work that they just don't care anymore. Mainly because they KNOW we the consumers will excuse it!! How many of you still leave a big tip for a waitress that served you incorrect orders of cold food?? How will manufacturers ever change their practices if the consumers don't speak up?? ANY MANUFACTURERS of any coach/TT/pop-up etc!!!
As for Lazy Days: we have tried 3 times to deal with them and each time they have quoted full MSRP sales price for their unit while cutting the trade in value of our unit by 8-10 thousand dollars!! The resale value on an RV (of any kind) drops fast enough, we don't need dealerships adding insult to injury!! Yes, I know a RV is a want not a need but that should not excuse bad behavior by a dealership. Any dealership for ANY RV!!!
As far as the Palazzo: We like the size and the fuel mileage. No we don't like the slide failures we have had and no we didn't like the way the dealership "fixed" it. But, yes we did like the way Thor took care of us for repairs and getting our coach to Elkhart for those repairs.
Yes, the breakage on an RV sucks! (On ANY RV it sucks!) But without the Palazzo and without those breaks and the IRV2 forum, Rick and I would have missed out on meeting some really great people. (Yes, I am even grateful for some of the mean people we have met along the way!).
Whichever RV you buy, you are better off if you have a good support system of other owners of the same RV you own. You are also better off if the Manufacturer of the RV you buy gives a darn about your RV and the other ones they build!!
My best advice would be go to a campground or RV rally and talk to RV owners (of ALL makes and models). And listen to ALL of the opinions, not just the nice ones!!
Happy Hunting!!
Karen

plasma800 09-04-2014 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKNOLA (Post 2213724)
Some good points from all. Yes, I have noticed that some Palazzo Owners are very defensive about the "quality" of their coach. I don't agree that the short comings of a coach should be excepted as common place. The "all RV's have flaws" mentality is always going to assure that your RV (no matter what make/model) will have problems. We as consumers need to stop excusing poor performance on the part of the RV manufacturer! Would you have open heart surgery from a doctor while thinking "well, you know all doctors make mistakes during surgery"???? "If they leave a scapel inside of me it is just all part of having surgery" NO!! That is NOT the way things should work!! I remember when "Made in the USA" meant something!!! Maybe these RV maufacturers have grown so used to being paid top dollar for less than standard work that they just don't care anymore. Mainly because they KNOW we the consumers will excuse it!! How many of you still leave a big tip for a waitress that served you incorrect orders of cold food?? How will manufacturers ever change their practices if the consumers don't speak up?? ANY MANUFACTURERS of any coach/TT/pop-up etc!!!
As for Lazy Days: we have tried 3 times to deal with them and each time they have quoted full MSRP sales price for their unit while cutting the trade in value of our unit by 8-10 thousand dollars!! The resale value on an RV (of any kind) drops fast enough, we don't need dealerships adding insult to injury!! Yes, I know a RV is a want not a need but that should not excuse bad behavior by a dealership. Any dealership for ANY RV!!!
As far as the Palazzo: We like the size and the fuel mileage. No we don't like the slide failures we have had and no we didn't like the way the dealership "fixed" it. But, yes we did like the way Thor took care of us for repairs and getting our coach to Elkhart for those repairs.
Yes, the breakage on an RV sucks! (On ANY RV it sucks!) But without the Palazzo and without those breaks and the IRV2 forum, Rick and I would have missed out on meeting some really great people. (Yes, I am even grateful for some of the mean people we have met along the way!).
Whichever RV you buy, you are better off if you have a good support system of other owners of the same RV you own. You are also better off if the Manufacturer of the RV you buy gives a darn about your RV and the other ones they build!!
My best advice would be go to a campground or RV rally and talk to RV owners (of ALL makes and models). And listen to ALL of the opinions, not just the nice ones!!
Happy Hunting!!
Karen

Hear Hear!!

streamcamper 09-04-2014 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChallengerRN (Post 2213417)
I disagree totally about the fact that all other coaches have the same issues over & over.

Read any manufacturing company forum you want. Yes some issues.
NOTHING like the same over & over issues on the Palazzo.

I was just over on another site that I hadn't been on in awhile. Just one after another large slide failing.

So my thought is this. We got what we paid for. A cheap DP. I thought all along that I could live with it and that because it was cheaper I'd take my lumps.

Eventually I said why the heck should I have to go on the road & worry EVERY time I run that slide out if it was going to break again???

At some point cheap is no longer worth it. So for me it is worth a few more $$ to have the piece of mind and a happier DW.

Russell

If I may ask, what is the other site you are referencing with the multiple large slide failures? I search for slide failures often enough and haven't come across many recent individual instances. Thanks.

ChallengerRN 09-04-2014 06:00 PM

I'll not be advertising on here for another site.

I for sure will say you are obviously not looking very hard!!

Russell

Fred and Bonnie 09-04-2014 06:09 PM

Go over to RV Net and review these posts, in particular the posts of "93Mastercraft"

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Search

Fred

streamcamper 09-04-2014 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie (Post 2214315)
Go over to RV Net and review these posts, in particular the posts of "93Mastercraft"

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Search

Fred

Thank you.

User1011 09-04-2014 06:45 PM

93mastercraft is palazzoblues....

ChallengerRN 09-04-2014 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LT (Post 2214369)

That is true & his slide failed this week. Sad as that is. If someone didn't need more problems he gets them!!

Russell

streamcamper 09-04-2014 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChallengerRN (Post 2214307)
I'll not be advertising on here for another site.

I for sure will say you are obviously not looking very hard!!

Russell

Wow!!! Really? Not very helpful.

I have reviewed previous posts, including THOR, Winnebago and various trailers. The slide issues have been chronicled for a few years now, and seem to have peaked earlier this year. You are saying in your post that there are numerous new issues, but I haven't seen evidence of this, which is why I asked the question. If the posts happen to be new to you, but not new posts, then they shouldn't be presented as new occurrences.

Without a doubt, the slides are an emotional subject, but I wish there was less venting, and more meaningful information about failures, prevention methods, maintenance, operation, etc... other than level, lubrication and holding the switch.

streamcamper 09-04-2014 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChallengerRN (Post 2214412)
That is true & his slide failed this week. Sad as that is. If someone didn't need more problems he gets them!!

Russell

https://www.youtube.com/user/93mastercraft

Butte64 09-04-2014 07:18 PM

Palazzo Reviews

At the TDC rally in Myrtle Beach the Thor tech showed us how critical the spacing is between the slide and frame. If the gap is too large the slide does nor properly engage. If it is not done correctly at the factory, the track on the slide can be shimmed to the correct spacing to ensure proper engagement. This is the most important aspect of Schwintek slide operation.

ChallengerRN 09-04-2014 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by streamcamper (Post 2214424)
Wow!!! Really? Not very helpful.

I have reviewed previous posts, including THOR, Winnebago and various trailers. The slide issues have been chronicled for a few years now, and seem to have peaked earlier this year. You are saying in your post that there are numerous new issues, but I haven't seen evidence of this, which is why I asked the question. If the posts happen to be new to you, but not new posts, then they shouldn't be presented as new occurrences.

Without a doubt, the slides are an emotional subject, but I wish there was less venting, and more meaningful information about failures, prevention methods, maintenance, operation, etc... other than level, lubrication and holding the switch.

What you should do stream camper is buy a palazzo with the large slide.

My guess is you will learn all you need to know in very short order.

I took my lesson on mine. I'm a slow learner but I learned and paid well for my lesson.

Russell

RKNOLA 09-04-2014 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LT (Post 2214369)

I'll tell him you said hello. :thumb:

ChallengerRN 09-04-2014 08:00 PM

Palazzo Reviews

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butte64 (Post 2214436)
At the TDC rally in Myrtle Beach the Thor tech showed us how critical the spacing is between the slide and frame. If the gap is too large the slide does nor properly engage. If it is not done correctly at the factory, the track on the slide can be shimmed to the correct spacing to ensure proper engagement. This is the most important aspect of Schwintek slide operation.

Based on that --- who would do the shimming ?? I certainly agree with your statement. Is the shimming something anyone could do?

Russell

Scarab0088 09-04-2014 09:03 PM

Thread warning

To all,

Please avoid personal exchanges and comments about other members choices in these Forums. Many of the posts in this thread are approaching removal for Community Rules violations.

The first and foremost rule for iRV2 is "Be Nice".

Thanks to all who contribute and please consider that one person's point of view is just as valuable as anothers.

Regards,

Butte64 09-04-2014 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChallengerRN (Post 2214533)
Based on that --- who would do the shimming ?? I certainly agree with your statement. Is the shimming something anyone could do?

Russell

We saw a Thor tech do it at Myrtle Beach. Not easy and not a one person job. I don't know if CW service people know how.

Perhaps more important was that he showed us what to look for.

I expect that at the TDC rally next month there will be a lot of slide checking done and perhaps an opportunity to see the shim job in action.

ChallengerRN 09-05-2014 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butte64 (Post 2214730)
We saw a Thor tech do it at Myrtle Beach. Not easy and not a one person job. I don't know if CW service people know how.

I expect that at the TDC rally next month there will be a lot of slide checking done and perhaps an opportunity to see the shim job in action.

Well I don't have to worry for myself but when I met with the slide expert (my assessment ) before I traded mine thats what he was showing me on mine. But I thought you were talking about an quick or easy shim. I got the opinion from my guy it was not a one man job also. Thanks

Russell

alpha99 09-05-2014 05:35 AM

Palazzo Reviews

Sorry to hear about the problems with your RV.

Don Voyage 09-05-2014 09:47 AM

My Palazzo

I had my coach serviced at the factory service center recently in early July. I had to have my one bedroom slide shimmed. This is a factory service tech repair only either at the factory or Thor sending a tech to use a dealerships facility near you.

Winnebago, Tiffin, Forest River and Lance Truck campers to name a few use this slide mechanism. I have searched here on IRV2 and found numerous problems with this mechanism on other coaches.

Units all have their problems that need to be taken care of. Try owning a boat.......same thing!

I have been traveling with my coach since factory visit. I have not had one problem with slides so far........Knock on wood!!!!!!

I love the floor plan of my 33.2 and the performance with mileage I am getting cruising.

I would consider a larger coach by Thor such as the Tuscany XTE 36 mq. But that is a maybe as stated in previous posts It would be step up in quality of materials in this coach and a bigger engine HP. But that would result in a drop of 2-3 miles to the gallon usage. I have just turned 13K and still counting. I believe if you buy what ever you can afford, you got to use it! Prior to buying this coach I looked used. Coaches three or four years old would have 8-11K miles on them and close 600-1200 hours on generator. The owner would state he could afford to fill it up? Todays coach's with all of the new technology coming out and todays fuel prices, this Palazzo is affordable to travel in at the current mpg's it gets.

Something to remember, We all spent good hard money to get our coaches and yealling and screaming at Thor will affect your level of service. Feed back of the service dept work orders do flow back to the respective area that defect was fixed. Palazzoblues....aka. 93 Matercraft... is frustrated and really mad since this is his third coach provided by Thor. One would think that Thor went over this coach with a fine tooth comb or maybe they did. Stuff happens down the road that is unavoidable. Palazzoblues and I are good friend now since meeting at the Mrytle Beach rally. I sympathize with him with his concerns. But after contacting Thor about this latest failure and all the bad press he gave them, Thor is flying down a factory service tech to fix his coach at his Camping World dealership. They still want him as a happy customer and also know that he has reservations upcoming at Disney. So, it sounds to me they are trying to accomodate him.

I too went to Lazydays and got the lowest price for my coach but the deal went bad when they low-balled my trade. Ended up with Camping World with a price match of another on-line dealer. If CW couldn't meet it or beat it then they have a policy of issuing you a $1000.00 gift card!

[moderator edit]

I agree though, no personal attacks, fowl language etc will be tolerated. But this should remain a site for seeking help and personal opinions/feelings/experiences. I also believe in the 1st amendment of the consititution.

It is my belief this forum site is fiancially backed by manufacturers, though denied. [moderator edit]:eek:

Bottom line: I love my Palazzo and hope nothing goes wrong down the road. But if it does, I personally have the confidence that Thor Customer service will take care of it for me! :thumb:

I will step down off my soap box now! LOL

Don

streamcamper 09-05-2014 05:37 PM

I have read about the tolerances between the column and the gear rack and would like to add a bit more to the topic. By design, the slide would seem to have front-to-rear play in the framed opening of the coach. To achieve this, the bearing block, which houses the gear, is held tight to the gear rack by the v-roller on the bottom and the shoe on top of the bearing block. The bearing block then connects to the side column that is connected to the coach, and held in place by the gibb which restricts vertical movement while allowing horizontal movement. This arrangement allows lateral movement of the slide in the framed opening while also allowing the bearing block to maintain tight contact with the gear rack. I am wondering that if the gibb is not lubricated, then it will not allow free movement and could ultimately cause the gear to disengage from the rack resulting in some of the failures that folks have experienced.
Anyone have any thoughts?

streamcamper 09-05-2014 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butte64 (Post 2214730)

I am wondering why it couldn't be a one person job? If the slide is lifted slightly to remove it's weight from the gear racks, you would be able to remove a gear rack by unscrewing it from the slide wall, install the shim, reinstall the gear rack, and then repeat the procedure for the other gear rack on the same side. One would need to take care to not allow the slide to move otherwise the top and bottom would become out of alignment. Does anyone know if this procedure is comparable to what the technicians perform?

Golfer503 09-06-2014 06:43 PM

Confused

We are new owners. In fact we just returned from our maiden voyage, an overnight trip 25 miles from our house. Found out we had forgotten a few things, did a few things in the wrong order and found two items that we need to get fixed. One is the lock on the window in the slide by the bed and the other is one of the reading lights over the bed is out ( bulb, fixture?) will work on later this week. Other than that we feel it was a success and will be ready for a longer trip next week to the Oregon coast.
When we were researching buying a coach earlier this year we were on a lot of different forums while we tried to decide on what we wanted in a coach and what we liked and disliked. We visited many dealers, several RV shows and the list of brands and models kept getting smaller. after a couple of months we were down to a Palazzo 36.1 and a couple of Tiffin models (we wanted a bath and a half, w/d and a king bed, we gave the king bed up as we kept cutting things, and some of our friends who have MH kept telling us go for a DP). At the Tiffin dealer on our second or third visit we tried to get in a unit that the step was broken, I went in a unit that had just arrived at the dealer and the wooden frame around the slide was hanging off the slide etc. We knew of the problems with the slides on the Palazzo and found one with the three tracks at a local CW, we liked the layout but were still concerned about what we had read. We contacted Thor to find out more about the issues and fixes. The West Coast rep contacted me and said he would meet us at the dealer and go over the unit with us and explain the changes they had made and help us find any other issues. I guess he spent 4 or 5 hours with us going over the coach, first by himself and then with us. It was his effort to help us that swayed us to Thor.
So here we are and this is why I am confused. From what we saw all brands have some quality issues, some more than others. But since we purchased the Palazzo we have not found the need to be on any forum that is not directly related to our product or issue that we have been researching. I am not saying I will never go to another manufacturers forum or web site, but it will be when or if we are looking to change, for whatever reason. The history is here for everyone to read and make a decision. Some of you have moved on to something else (and from what we have read I can understand completely why and the frustration you experienced) so why not move on? Rehashing your history doesn't change it. Enjoy whatever you now have and let those of us who remain enjoy our decisions. One way or another we will pay the price for our choice.
In closing this thread was started by someone interested in buying a Palazzo, from the research we did and have read I believe that Thor is trying to do what it can to resolve the issues. Could they do more, the answer is probably, but they are trying, at least in our opinion.
Hope to meet some of you around the country and if you are not in a Palazzo or other Thor product we can still be friends.

ChallengerRN 09-06-2014 07:15 PM

Palazzo Reviews

My thought on the above. Lots of good information comes from owners of all brands on lots of different topics. Lots of coaches all have the same components.

IRV2 is a site for all topics and all brands. A bit hard to regulate who gets to post on any given thread.

Now lots of brands have their own forums. Ones I am familiar with are Forest River, Thor, Tiffin and I'm sure several more. For a "Brand" loyal person these are excellent sites. I have spent time on all these sites plus others. Many great post out there.

As stated IRV2 along with a few other sites cater to all brands and all things RV.

My guess is that the OP of this post is gratefully to see all sides to their question. Good & bad.

Russell

HeavyH2O 09-08-2014 10:43 PM

My family and I have had our 33.3 for about a year and a half with about 18K miles, so far. Here are the items that made me scratch my head on the QA front and component selection.

• The basements are fiberglass cabinets weather sealed against the walls. If they are leaking, they are not sealed tight enough. The doors tend to be fine.
  • Thor factory must be a bit messy. There is enough dust and debris in and under things. Make sure you do a good PDI.
  • Bathroom faucet barely flows water. Replace that and be done.
  • The water pump is very cheap. Just put a good one in at the onset. Better flow, less noise.
  • Get a foam mattress if you have the hide-a-loft. Get a decent queen and have a drill handy to relocate the locking pins.
  • The accordion side privacy windows are cheap. Get MCD pull down shades.
  • They need to run HDMI cables and coax to all TVs. Make life easier.
  • The cheap fan in the bathroom - we replaced the one in the kitchen and bathroom with ones that have remotes and rain sense.
  • Pay the dealer to install a LED light in the well of infinite darkness by the entry door. Or, just keep the mud room light on all the time.
  • Make sure your front seat is straight - it can be angled left or right a bit based on tolerance.
  • Try the wipers at speed and make sure they are aligned correctly.
  • Why no LED brake, signal and backup lights? Just replace them out of the gate.
  • The fridge screw, really? A snap is much easier.
But, even with all of that, we cannot find a coach that is not a compromise. The Thor was the ONLY coach that met all of the requirements we had set out.

• Fuel efficient
  • 35 feet or less
  • Enough power to tow my car and trailer
  • had enough sleeping for 6 people without using a couch or dinette for sleeping use
  • Autostart generator
  • usable zipped up (we use it for a lot of travel and did not want to open slides at every stop)
As for the slide, the big side with the kitchen and bunks has been cycled over 100 times without issue (fingers crossed). We may have got lucky on that front.

Whatever you pick, it will be a learning experience.

RKNOLA 09-11-2014 10:47 AM

To Golfer503: Welcome aboard!!
When you bought your coach you were probably given a free 1 yr membership to the Thor Diesel Club. It is a great club and the website: Home has a forum section where you can read posts from other Thor owners. The TDC also has a rally coming up October 5-10th in Goshen, Indiana. The rallies are great for meeting other Thor Owners, seminars with reps from Freightliner and Thor, and Tech days where you can list 3 items to be checked out or fixed on your coach during the rally. The rally fee pays for your campsite for 5 days, food (breakfast and dinner), seminars, and a vendor sales area to buy things for your coach.
If you get a minute, go to the TDC website and check it out.
Karen

RKNOLA 09-11-2014 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeavyH2O (Post 2220748)
My family and I have had our 33.3 for about a year and a half with about 18K miles, so far. Here are the items that made me scratch my head on the QA front and component selection.

• The basements are fiberglass cabinets weather sealed against the walls. If they are leaking, they are not sealed tight enough. The doors tend to be fine.
  • Thor factory must be a bit messy. There is enough dust and debris in and under things. Make sure you do a good PDI.
  • Bathroom faucet barely flows water. Replace that and be done.
  • The water pump is very cheap. Just put a good one in at the onset. Better flow, less noise.
  • Get a foam mattress if you have the hide-a-loft. Get a decent queen and have a drill handy to relocate the locking pins.
  • The accordion side privacy windows are cheap. Get MCD pull down shades.
  • They need to run HDMI cables and coax to all TVs. Make life easier.
  • The cheap fan in the bathroom - we replaced the one in the kitchen and bathroom with ones that have remotes and rain sense.
  • Pay the dealer to install a LED light in the well of infinite darkness by the entry door. Or, just keep the mud room light on all the time.
  • Make sure your front seat is straight - it can be angled left or right a bit based on tolerance.
  • Try the wipers at speed and make sure they are aligned correctly.
  • Why no LED brake, signal and backup lights? Just replace them out of the gate.
  • The fridge screw, really? A snap is much easier.
But, even with all of that, we cannot find a coach that is not a compromise. The Thor was the ONLY coach that met all of the requirements we had set out.

• Fuel efficient
  • 35 feet or less
  • Enough power to tow my car and trailer
  • had enough sleeping for 6 people without using a couch or dinette for sleeping use
  • Autostart generator
  • usable zipped up (we use it for a lot of travel and did not want to open slides at every stop)
As for the slide, the big side with the kitchen and bunks has been cycled over 100 times without issue (fingers crossed). We may have got lucky on that front.

Whatever you pick, it will be a learning experience.

Well said! Thank you.

RKNOLA 09-11-2014 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChallengerRN (Post 2217461)
My thought on the above. Lots of good information comes from owners of all brands on lots of different topics. Lots of coaches all have the same components.

IRV2 is a site for all topics and all brands. A bit hard to regulate who gets to post on any given thread.

Now lots of brands have their own forums. Ones I am familiar with are Forest River, Thor, Tiffin and I'm sure several more. For a "Brand" loyal person these are excellent sites. I have spent time on all these sites plus others. Many great post out there.

As stated IRV2 along with a few other sites cater to all brands and all things RV.

My guess is that the OP of this post is gratefully to see all sides to their question. Good & bad.

Russell

Hi Russell,
We look forward to seeing your new coach in Indiana! :thumb:

ChallengerRN 09-11-2014 12:38 PM

Planning on that Karen.

Russell

Golfer503 09-11-2014 09:15 PM

Rick and Karen. Thanks for the info on the TDC. we just sent in our paperwork. This year we will not be able to make it but will start following things for next year. Thanks for the welcome, hope we cross paths some day.

RKNOLA 09-12-2014 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfer503 (Post 2225078)
Rick and Karen. Thanks for the info on the TDC. we just sent in our paperwork. This year we will not be able to make it but will start following things for next year. Thanks for the welcome, hope we cross paths some day.

Hi Carol Jo and Gary,
Sorry you won't be able to make it to the rally. On the TDC website they list all of the upcoming rallies so you can maybe try to fit one of those into your travels.
Rick and I have also been to the RVillage.com site. They have a Thor Owners section that might also be helpful to you.
See you down the road,
Karen :thumb:

Radidio 02-11-2015 03:50 AM

The new 2015 Palazzo 36.1 has increased HP to 330, I think. I am impressed with my Freightliner Chassis with it's 300 HP 2014 Palazzo. It's loaded to the gills and has a 4000lb toad and lists a 10K towing capacity. As small as the diesel is it pulls very well. Have to keep the revs up towing in the mountains though. Torque is the answer.

Butte64 02-11-2015 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radidio (Post 2420559)
The new 2015 Palazzo 36.1 has increased HP to 330, I think. I am impressed with my Freightliner Chassis with it's 300 HP 2014 Palazzo. It's loaded to the gills and has a 4000lb toad and lists a 10K towing capacity. As small as the diesel is it pulls very well. Have to keep the revs up towing in the mountains though. Torque is the answer.

The 10K rating is misleading as that is the capacity of the hitch, not the max towing capacity. The GVWR is 26,000 lb. and I think, since I don't have the info packet any more, the GCWR is 31,000 lb so max tow at max weight is 5,000 lb. So if your actual weight plus TOAD weight is less than GCWR and less than 10K you are good to go.

Radidio 02-15-2015 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butte64 (Post 2421530)
The 10K rating is misleading as that is the capacity of the hitch, not the max towing capacity. The GVWR is 26,000 lb. and I think, since I don't have the info packet any more, the GCWR is 31,000 lb so max tow at max weight is 5,000 lb. So if your actual weight plus TOAD weight is less than GCWR and less than 10K you are good to go.

You might want to reconsider that since there is NO tongue that can support 10K. I was surprised also that the specs mentioned 10K towing capacity. I've never seen a 300HP pull that much weight. Again, they must be qualifying it with the torque

"In order to select the correct components to safely tow your trailer, you need to know its tongue weight. This is the weight that the fully loaded trailer exerts downward on the hitch ball of the tow vehicle."
Determining Trailer Tongue Weight | etrailer.com

Scarab0088 02-15-2015 06:49 PM

Fact check:
Class III hitch and ball mounts can easily be rated for 10,000lb. Like:
Ball Mount 3/4" Rise or 2" Drop, 13-1/4" Long Brophy Ball Mounts BM20

Class IV can go up to 12,000lb
Class V can go up to 16,000lb

Tongue weight and towing capacity are very different measures...and tongue weight can be easily adjusted by the way a trailer is loaded.

The safe towing capacity is determined by taking the tow vehicle's GCWR and subtracting the vehicles loaded weight. So, if the RV has a 33,000lb GCWR and is loaded at or below 23,000lb, it could safely tow 10,000lb.

An advertised 10,000lb towing capability just means the RV has the receiver hitch and capability to tow that weight...easily done.

Safe travels

Radidio 02-15-2015 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarab0088 (Post 2426631)
Fact check:
Class III hitch and ball mounts can easily be rated for 10,000lb. Like:
Ball Mount 3/4" Rise or 2" Drop, 13-1/4" Long Brophy Ball Mounts BM20

Class IV can go up to 12,000lb
Class V can go up to 16,000lb

Tongue weight and towing capacity are very different measures...and tongue weight can be easily adjusted by the way a trailer is loaded.

The safe towing capacity is determined by taking the tow vehicle's GCWR and subtracting the vehicles loaded weight. So, if the RV has a 33,000lb GCWR and is loaded at or below 23,000lb, it could safely tow 10,000lb.

An advertised 10,000lb towing capability just means the RV has the receiver hitch and capability to tow that weight...easily done.

Safe travels

Some people here are confusing "towing capacity" vs "tongue weight" Again the tongues weight is what the tongue can support if a weight is directly positioned on the tongue. Not the weight that it can tow. HUGE difference. Again you cannot put 10K directly on the tongue unless it is just the towing weight. [MOD EDIT]

Because of balanced wheels on the toad the tongue weight might only be exerting 800lbs whereas the towed vehicle itself might weight 10K. The weight of a tt will differ if the stored weight of the vehicle shifts from front to back. That's is when you can exceed the tongue weight. The towing capacity is exactly that. The weight of the vehicle. In my case 4200lbs.

Scarab0088 02-15-2015 08:30 PM

:iagree:

Tongue weight is VERY different than towing capacity.

In a previous post, doubt was raised that "300HP (could) pull that much weight", but is most surely can.
If anyone is under the belief that 10,000lb can be carried upon the hitch, that is an error.

The Palazzo line is a beautiful group of RV's...and they are very capable.

Safe travels

goldwingerx2 02-16-2015 12:13 PM

This is what we used when towing HEAVY loads (TrailerToad.com). It takes all the weight off the hitch only push/pull and we replace the hitch with a class IV hitch which was also reinforced to the frame to take the added stress. Pulled it with 2 different F53 chassises never had a problem and had heavy brakes on the trailer also. Mountain passes were more like the semis.

Radidio 02-16-2015 06:51 PM

CW has heavily reduced the 2014 NEW Palazzos to around $149K. Don't know if I'm allowed to say that but for that price it's a winner all the way around. Yes I've had problems with converter/inverter (needs to be replaced), Electric front shade, minor plumbing, no slide problems ----yet, slide doors come off easily, insulation not adequate, but we just broke 9k mileage and well appreciate the MPG with the RV overweight and pulling a tow vehicle. 300HP with adequate torque at higher speeds sent us over all of the mountain passses so far. Sure there are problems but compared to other RV's I've owned they are acceptable. I had better RV's but I just don't expect the same quality I had 10-20 years ago. Unfortunately. I'll just have to wait and see after extended service.

My X-Mirada had a V-10 8.1 with more HP and more torque and didn't "pull" as good as my Palazzo. Plus it would always go crazy on RPM climbing hills. I've maxed it at 4500RPM many a time with a noise like it was going to explode. I know the diesel in my Palazzo is in the rear but I don't hear it even when it is cranking up the hills. Actually hear the cooling fans before I hear the motor.

msturtz 02-17-2015 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patch-y (Post 2212817)
Well....... your comments are interesting....... for each $50k of price increase you can expect $2000 dollar increase in interest payments and 15% annual reduction in vehicle value for depreciation($6500 per year) and at added cost for insurance(lets say $100 per year/$50 k) for a total annual increase over what you are now paying of $8600/year /$50k,

To get a rig with disc brakes you will(if buying new) likely be at $280k or more.....probably at least $100k more than you paid for the palazzo.....(but more likely $120k more than you paid for the Palazzo).......plus your fuel mileage will be down to 8mpg. So for a $280k unit you will be paying around $20k more per year than you are now.......plus more for fuel......

So do it.......what's holding you back???

I can live with the screw for the frig and the quality things I have repaired because I don't want to pay more than I am now......not because I can't afford it....but rather because these RV's are a poor investment......and i want into the RV at minimum financial loss.

WRT disc brakes...... they are a costly item.......the drum brakes are very competent and yes sometimes they squeal after lack of use........

As far as the placement of electrical outlets and noise from the AC location of light switches etc...... I saw that before I bought my unit.....didn't you???

BTW....my neighbor at the campground I am now in has a brand new American Eagle......probably list price $575k or more......and his leveling jacks would not retract and his slide got stuck.....so I guess you will need to buy a coach of even greater value if you are looking for no problems.

I am now in California with my 33.1, from Florida, almost 5000 miles since I started several months ago....and my unit has been good....... average 11mpg, several problems I have repaired......but nothing to whine about. I have another 6 weeks before I get home and.....at the end of the day...... I don't want to spend another dollar on a motor home....

I like my Palazzo.....it is not perfect.......Thor is not perfect......but I like what it is for what I spent......

When I was in Rocky Mountain NP several weeks ago I spoke with a fella who had a brand new Dutch Star......he said he sold his Prevost because he didn't like having so much money into an rv for the amount of use he gave it...he said the Dutch Star was ok......nothing great.......

Buy a new unit with disc brakes and all you want ..... what's holding you back??

regards
rich

x2 on this. We were stretching to be able to afford a DP period so the Palazzo allowed us to get what we wanted at a price point we could afford.

IdahoSRT10 02-17-2015 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radidio (Post 2428006)
CW has heavily reduced the 2014 NEW Palazzos to around $149K. Don't know if I'm allowed to say that but for that price it's a winner all the way around. Yes I've had problems with converter/inverter (needs to be replaced), Electric front shade, minor plumbing, no slide problems ----yet, slide doors come off easily, insulation not adequate, but we just broke 9k mileage and well appreciate the MPG with the RV overweight and pulling a tow vehicle. 300HP with adequate torque at higher speeds sent us over all of the mountain passses so far. Sure there are problems but compared to other RV's I've owned they are acceptable. I had better RV's but I just don't expect the same quality I had 10-20 years ago. Unfortunately. I'll just have to wait and see after extended service.

My X-Mirada had a V-10 8.1 with more HP and more torque and didn't "pull" as good as my Palazzo. Plus it would always go crazy on RPM climbing hills. I've maxed it at 4500RPM many a time with a noise like it was going to explode. I know the diesel in my Palazzo is in the rear but I don't hear it even when it is cranking up the hills. Actually hear the cooling fans before I hear the motor.

Really?.... A 8.1L V-10 was never made.:cool: The newer Ford V-10 and 8.1 GM did have more HP but no where near the torque of the Diesel.

alpha99 02-27-2015 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msturtz (Post 2429263)
x2 on this. We were stretching to be able to afford a DP period so the Palazzo allowed us to get what we wanted at a price point we could afford.

Buy a high quality used DP for the same price. You'll be much better off, IMO.

Cheers and good luck!

HVAC Bill 02-27-2015 10:02 PM

As mentioned above, it really depends on how many days a year you spend in it. I am not retired, and only average 4-6 weeks per year. The coach I purchased met the floor plan I liked, I didn't like a lot of the others, and with the Berkshire of the same floor plan parked side by side, I personally could not justify paying more for what I felt was the same thing.

2013 Palazzo 33.3

Scarab0088 02-27-2015 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha99 (Post 2443991)
Buy a high quality used DP for the same price. You'll be much better off, IMO.

Cheers and good luck!

Buying new has SO MANY benefits (warranty, finance terms, etc.)...buying used is a whole different animal.

The Palazzo is allowing many, many folks to get into DP's (with a very good Freightliner chassis) that could never have one before, and that is really great. Not everyone can afford or wants a $400,000 DSDP :nonono:

If I wasn't sold on my Thor Toy Hauler, a Palazzo would be one of the first RV's on my shopping list.

Safe travels

ChallengerRN 02-28-2015 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarab0088 (Post 2444652)
Buying new has SO MANY benefits (warranty, finance terms, etc.)...buying used is a whole different animal.

The Palazzo is allowing many, many folks to get into DP's (with a very good Freightliner chassis) that could never have one before, and that is really great. Not everyone can afford or wants a $400,000 DSDP :nonono:

If I wasn't sold on my Thor Toy Hauler, a Palazzo would be one of the first RV's on my shopping list.

Safe travels

You know I had a 2008 Damon- never actually thought it to be a Thor. I really liked that coach also. Never once went back to dealer or factory for repairs.

Not sure when Damon got bought out by Thor but after owning a Palazzo for 22 months I can very well assure you that Thor of today is no way near the quality and reliability of the Damon of yesterday !!

So for sure keep your Damon that you like. It will save you many headaches over a new palazzo. I speak from experience.

Russell

MisterT 02-28-2015 06:36 AM

I think that the industry is trying to bridge-the-gap for us families that want to travel in a DP. This is a new product line for the industry, with Thor leading the way back in '13 with the entry Palazzo DP Line, and now FleetwoodExcursion and FR Legacy lines - even with minor issued here and there on all of these, at least compared to the typical higher end models, it has allowed us to travel in an environment that suits us best - and we've owned a nice newer Blackwood 5th wheel, and more recently a new ClassA Gas FR Georgetown - I'm glad I moved 'up' to a new DP.

RKNOLA 02-28-2015 10:35 AM

Our Palazzo allows us to travel........... we get to travel from repair shop to repair shop! Yes, our Palazzo is in the shop again. This will be slide repair #4 and that is in addition to the latest issue which is exhaust fumes leaching into the coach. No coach is worth dying for!
Our Palazzo is defective!

Goodwin 02-28-2015 12:26 PM

Don't buy a Thor!!!!

Scarab0088 02-28-2015 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodwin (Post 2445460)
Don't buy a Thor!!!!

The thread is about Thor Reviews...would you care to offer some personal supporting information for such a generic statement?

Safe travels

StevieD 03-01-2015 05:56 AM

We love both of the third we have owned

kokosfriend 03-02-2015 10:24 AM

I love my palazzo and had to have some work done on the slide and now the overhead bunk slide is not working right, but Thor is standing behind it and will repair. The big slide works great now but I keep lubing and cleaning the tracks. Yes, I would buy one - good gas mileage, drives easy. Plenty of room.

alpha99 03-02-2015 04:39 PM

Take a look at the new Nexus Bentley. Possibly a much better alternative .

Cheers!

foretm 03-05-2015 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevo55 (Post 2202029)

Not sure if you reviewed this thread or not... Specifically look at the revised list on the second page.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f281/pala...rb-236596.html

I'm in the same boat so to speak, as we are researching the Palazzo 36.1. I have recently been comparing it to the Forest River Legacy 360RB. Very similar floorplan, but some very different systems. I went this past weekend to look at a FR Legacy in person, and I'm personally leaning toward the Legacy at this time.

That may change, but right now my intentions are the Legacy.

Thanks,
Mike

Redridge 03-05-2015 08:30 AM

though I do like the Legacy and has a decent amount of upgrades... I opted to go with the Palazzo because of its shorter size. It allows us to maneuver in very tight corners and places. It always amazes me how well this coach turns. Also, we love going to national parks... and a lot of them do have size requirements (this is often controversial). Having a small rig, bunks with a dp was the selling point to us, at times it feels like a big unit... but it does not drive very big.

RKNOLA 03-06-2015 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foretm (Post 2452361)
Not sure if you reviewed this thread or not... Specifically look at the revised list on the second page.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f281/pala...rb-236596.html

I'm in the same boat so to speak, as we are researching the Palazzo 36.1. I have recently been comparing it to the Forest River Legacy 360RB. Very similar floorplan, but some very different systems. I went this past weekend to look at a FR Legacy in person, and I'm personally leaning toward the Legacy at this time.

That may change, but right now my intentions are the Legacy.

Thanks,
Mike

Forest River is a great company with great customer service. You will be very happy if you pick the Legacy.
Hindsight is always 20/20!!

Safetysteve5 03-11-2015 09:05 AM

We too thought there were way too many quality issues for the money we paid. However, the Palazzo was the only coach that fit our budget (<$150k) AND had all the features we wanted in a coach. Luckily I am a DIYer and after a couple of weeks of work I had fixed all of the issues. Once fixed they are done. You can argue all day as to whether or not I should have had to do them. Read yesterday that part of the rear cap on someones Winnebago literally flew off. Then read this was a fairly common issue. So all things in perspective. Our 2014 33.3 has had zero major issues, just minor quality stuff. The Freightliner chassis and the very complex electrical systems all work very well! No slide issues to date. Does the Palazzo have quality issues on the coach side? yes. Can you find another NEW DP coach with these features? We could not. Now that all the issues are addressed we are happy with our coach.
---------------------------
2014 Palazzo 33.3
2015 Ford Explorer

NITEHAWK 03-11-2015 09:10 AM

If all coaches could be made 100% idiotproof, 100% guaranteed, 100% failproof, and 100% solid enough to never malfunction irregardless of how it is used, abused, and driven down a rough road at 60 MPH then we couldn't afford it.

ferg182 03-11-2015 09:36 AM

I agree, we have had many issues with ours but I have looked at every maker of DP and you have to go up $75k to 100k to improve on layout and quality. I have driven my DW crazy looking at new DP! I think I have most of my issues behind us and have been doing many things to modify our 36.1 to what we need and as we call her Rose, she has become my stocker.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

msturtz 03-11-2015 11:31 PM

I agree with Redridge the real problem we ran into was cost, towing, storage, and length. We really didn't want the very long 36' - 37' unit. Most people don't know but the 33.x Palazzos are built on a Freightliner 28K chassis. They come with a 10,500# front axle and 17,500# rear axle. Thor "de-rated" the chassis because they used an Allison MH2100 transmission that is only rated to a GVWR or 26,000# and GCWR or 30,000#. Because it is a short DP the shipping weight is really low compared to the 36' units. This means more payload. I know that Thor had to cut some corners to keep the cost down such as not including automatic air bag deflation in the automatic leveling system. Sheet vinyl instead of tile. We seriously looked at the Legacy Bunkhouse version. However, my wife really didn't like the "manly" dark look of the Legacy she like the softer look of the Palazzo. Also she really didn't like the loss of some of the interior storage like that is in the hallway as well as the double under-bay storage. However all features aside the Legacy dealer wanted $20K more for the Legacy. We simply were not willing to spend the extra money. It is possible that we could have negotiated the price down some but $20K is a long way to drop. If I had enough disposable income I would have bought a Newel or Prevost. I don't so we have an exercise in compromises.

foretm 03-12-2015 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferg182 (Post 2460256)
I agree, we have had many issues with ours but I have looked at every maker of DP and you have to go up $75k to 100k to improve on layout and quality. I have driven my DW crazy looking at new DP! I think I have most of my issues behind us and have been doing many things to modify our 36.1 to what we need and as we call her Rose, she has become my stocker.

Just curious, did you consider the Forest River Legacy 360RB when you were making your purchase? If so can you tell me what led you to choose the Palazzo over the Legacy.

ferg182 03-12-2015 09:23 AM

No, I did not compare the two. We have over 15k and the only issue we have had is the large slide out. It's a fun coach to drive and do up grades with. I have gotten many ideas from IRV2 and have done some. We have done the 15k in one year.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum