iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Vintage RV's (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Total Rebuild (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/total-rebuild-218277.html)

Harley1994 09-03-2014 11:39 AM

Total Rebuild

1 Attachment(s)
Well I'm new here and not sure where to post this, but I would like to share what I'm doing (or attempting to do). I have a 1973 Skamper 5th wheel 35 ft that was very rotten I got this for little of nuthing. I was going to strip it and use it for the frame, but we also have been looking for a Toy Hauler. I am retired so money was an issue, we looked at several and almost all of them needed some form of repair, some as bad as this one. I have been building things my whole life so guess what? I decided to repurpose and rebuild this one into a Toy Hauler. If its okay I will chronigraph my progress here and maybe get some ideas along the way.

Harley1994 09-03-2014 12:54 PM

Rebuild

3 Attachment(s)
Well here are some pics of why the rebuild.I'll try and get some more pics of the start to rebuild, and how I'm doing it.

topdownman 09-03-2014 01:01 PM

:welcome: now I'll sit back and watch!

DieselTech39 09-03-2014 01:09 PM

:welcome:

Glad you're aboard. Best of luck on your project. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.

Harley1994 09-03-2014 02:40 PM

Rebuild

2 Attachment(s)
Here are some more pics of the teardown, and as I said I'm going to make this a Toy Hauler so I removed the rear section. (also made it so I could take out the fiberglass bathroom), which I will put back in, but relocate it up front. Thats my wife ripping up floor. She's the one that said lets do this. I have about two weeks into this so I'll be posting some more, Thanks for the welcome.:thumb:

ahicks 09-03-2014 05:26 PM

What does the frame look like? Is it C channel, or boxed? I ask, as I'm thinking of the potential for something this age to have an issue? Hate to see you finish it, then find a big crease in the siding after loading the first toy in the back....

Gordon Dewald 09-03-2014 05:36 PM

Undertaking a large task. Completion will be satisfying I am sure.

Agree with AHicks that the condition and capacity of the frame should be checked to ensure adequate strength. At the same time axles should be verified.

What kind of toys will you be carrying? How much do they weigh compared to the stuff you are taking out plus adding for the rear door?

Harley1994 09-03-2014 06:10 PM

rebuild

The frame is boxed rectangle and I knew the original owners, it had less then 500 miles on the unit then sat, they lived in it while they built their house. Then it sat in a open shed on stone for yrs. I am replacing the axles and adding one, for a totol of three. We have two full dresser harleys 900 lbs each. My background is in fabrication, we used to build race cars from the ground up. But that doesn't mean I can't miss soething so keep me on my toes. Thanks!! Terry

Harley1994 09-03-2014 06:17 PM

rebuild

2 Attachment(s)
This is where it sat, until I got it.

73DodgeTitan 09-03-2014 07:00 PM

Awesome! Good luck with the build and keep taking pix

ahicks 09-03-2014 08:14 PM

How did the rear wall rot out like that when it was inside?

Harley1994 09-04-2014 05:17 AM

rebuild

Apparently when the previous owner was parking it he hit the side and didn't fix it, and he covered it with a tarp. Well the tarp came off and wind and snow blew in, this is upstate New York. And this was yrs that it sat like this. The building is in a remote part of his property. The strange part was not even surface rust on the metal parts.

Harley1994 09-04-2014 05:37 AM

rebuild

3 Attachment(s)
Here is more pics of the rot then we start the rebuild.

Trevdawg 09-04-2014 07:40 AM

wow!
looks like a project all right.

Keep the pictures coming.

Harley1994 09-04-2014 08:51 AM

rebuild

Yep it's a project, its hard to imagine but I've got myself into worse. I have always been one to fix or build something rather than just buy (usually because at the time I couldn't afford it) so even now that I could I still build things, more satisfying and if it don't work guess who is to blame.

Harley1994 09-04-2014 11:24 AM

rebuild

3 Attachment(s)
Well I promised rebuild pics, but I got into the area over the 5th wheel, at first it looked ok but I should have known better, now look at more tear down pics. If I don't stop tearing apart there won't be anything left!:facepalm:

Gordon Dewald 09-04-2014 01:07 PM

Will you be putting in a wall between the "garage" and the living area? You are long enough IMO to do so. You will be able to leave the chocks in and after unloading use the garage for storage of all kinds of things.

Diamond plate on the floor will save the floor and is easy to clean. Rubber flooring is another option.

Will be following your build with interest.

Harley1994 09-04-2014 06:16 PM

rebuild

Hi Gordon, yes there will be a wall, the garage is 11 ft long and we have a type of flooring that has a texture so its not slippery, its black and white checker. we put 3/4 exterior plywood and full 2x4's 12" apart but I'm getting ahead of myself. :blush:

Gordon Dewald 09-04-2014 06:25 PM

The floor will be very attractive. Our 5er has a wall with a door and it makes the cabin much more comfortable and cosy.

Harley1994 09-04-2014 06:59 PM

rebuild

We looked at a lot of Toy Haulers some without a wall, Don't get me wrong I love my Harley but I don't want to "live" with it. I think once your set up and the bikes are outside the garage can become living area. We plan on getting an add a room for the awning (we will have two) that one on the drivers side that the bikes can go into.

WBBB1 09-04-2014 07:13 PM

Axles

Pictures look like to old mobile home axles, or you replacing them?

Harley1994 09-04-2014 07:20 PM

rebuild

4 Attachment(s)
We have started the repairs, the perimeter wood is down, I used 2X6 instead of 1.5 X 1.5 the plywood used to go between the layers but I didn't want that, so I used a 5/8s filler instead to retain the correct height. Then in the garage area used 2X4s 12" on center,with 3/4 plywood and in the living area 2X4s 16" on center with 5/8 plywood, which is what was used originally. The insulation is 1.5 poly iso, which is put in, then to make sure its tight I foamed any cracks. When I laid the plywood I glued everything and used exterior decking screws to put it all down.

Harley1994 09-04-2014 07:28 PM

rebuild

Actually the axles are orginal rv axles, they are the, I think strange wheel that has no center so to speak, plus they are drop axles. I'm replacing all the axles with 3500lb straight ones and putting them under the springs. Plus I'm going with three axles instead of two.

Harley1994 09-04-2014 07:35 PM

rebuild

3 Attachment(s)
Here are more pics of the floor after the plywood has been layed down.

rivraton 09-04-2014 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley1994 (Post 2214338)
Actually the axles are orginal rv axles, they are the, I think strange wheel that has no center so to speak, plus they are drop axles. I'm replacing all the axles with 3500lb straight ones and putting them under the springs. Plus I'm going with three axles instead of two.

Those are Dayton cast spoke wheels...

Harley1994 09-04-2014 07:57 PM

rebuild

So thats what they are, I just remember seeing them yrs ago on rvs, can't say that I see them anymore. Thanks for the info!

Harley1994 09-05-2014 11:29 AM

rebuild

4 Attachment(s)
Been working on the platform over the 5th wheel, took off all the old rotten wood and am now replacing the perimeter and floor joists. Next install the insulation and plywood, and reconfigure the nose. I am rounding instead of making the nose pointed, we'll see how the works out.

Harley1994 09-05-2014 07:17 PM

rebuild

3 Attachment(s)
I got the front over the 5th wheel reconfigured, instead of going with a pointed nose and a huge front window, I rounded the nose, it should give me better aerodynamics. Its supposed to rain on saturday so I had to get everything buttoned up.

TravisNuwa81 09-07-2014 03:13 AM

Wow, what an AMAZING build!!!!!

C-PHartley 09-07-2014 03:56 AM

Great looking rebuild. What are your plans for interior paneling.

HuntingHawk 09-07-2014 05:49 AM

I think you are smart to rebuild being you have the time & skills. It will come out how the two of you want it.

Harley1994 09-07-2014 06:53 AM

rebuild

Thanks for the incourgement, my wife has been researching for interior paneling and we keep going back and forth on what to use, its actually fun and part of the build. The only thing we agree on is that we don't want a "house" look, I owned a Auto and Motorcycle repair shop that I sold to an employee and riding has been a very big part of our lives. That being said we kinda wanted a Harley theme, something very useable that we don't have to spend a ton of time "keeping up". We are going with FRP for the ceiling, easy to keep clean and brite but the sides is still up in the air. I should be working on the front today yesterday had a prediction for rain so we had everything covered, so more pics are coming!:thumb:

HuntingHawk 09-07-2014 07:30 AM

Linoleum on the floor as its easy to maintain & easy to replace when needed. JMO

Harley1994 09-07-2014 08:34 AM

rebuild

We found a black and white checker (one piece) that has a texture for non slip in the garage part but hadn't decided on the living quarters but your right I think linoleum will be high on the list. The ceiling and floor will be the first in then the walls.

wagonqueen 09-07-2014 09:41 AM

Awesome... The re build process is so fun to watch. I am looking forward to seeing you final project. We are at the end of a year long re build. It turned out better than we envisioned. As far as walls go, we used luan covered with different paintable wallpapers. The wall paper textures (which was MOD 70's) gave us the retro look we were going for. Keep the pics coming.

Harley1994 09-07-2014 10:44 AM

rebuild

2 Attachment(s)
Thats funny you should say wallpaper, my wife has been looking at wallpaper and there are so many options. Here is the nose ready for underlayment.

HuntingHawk 09-07-2014 12:43 PM

Front window is a weak point of many RVs. Eventually they are going to leak. That is why you see more & more class C motorhomes with the bunkover front window removed. Side windows will give you plenty of light in there. :cool:

Harley1994 09-07-2014 02:10 PM

rebuild

I agree, you can see by the pics that there is huge windows on the sides up front, besides the nose cone will give me 18" of storage at the middle.:thumb:

Harley1994 09-07-2014 04:01 PM

rebuild

2 Attachment(s)
Just got the underlayment on the nose, going to let it set overnight with the straps holding it so the adhesive sets, along with screws and staples then its ready for aluminum siding!

HuntingHawk 09-07-2014 04:32 PM

Don't let the cart get infront of the horse with the walls. You still have plumbing & electrical to do.

stearn 09-07-2014 05:00 PM

Can't wait to see your finished project! Looks like your going to have many memorable moments!

beamisl 09-07-2014 05:57 PM

Harley1944 and Mrs Harley1944, You two are very brave but I think you will also love doing this. I look forward to seeing your progress and the finished product. WOW! I'm looking for used but not anything with this much work to do to it.

Have a great time with it! You will get plenty of good advice here. Others have done big redos and posted so they are out there.

Harley1994 09-07-2014 06:20 PM

rebuild

Thanks for all the great words of encouragement & praise.Yes one of the planning parts are the wiring, I have thought about going totol 12 volt with led lighting and just having the 110 for the plugs, also 110 in the garage with load lights ect, haven't got that all figured out yet. Right now I just need to get everything closed up living in upstate NY, and I live pretty high up snow will be coming sooner then I want. If I can get the siding and roof on I'll be in good shape, then I can put a heater inside and work on the interior. Thats the plan, I hope it all works out, we'll see. :) The plan was to do all this starting in the spring, but I fell off a load of steel and fractured my hip on May 29th so pins and screws later here I am starting a project that should have been almost done by now, ohh well go with the flow.

Gordon Dewald 09-07-2014 08:56 PM

The rounded nose looks like a great place for a full width closet. Half with hang up and half with shelves.

TravisNuwa81 09-08-2014 01:40 AM

Im certain youve thought of this but, will the extended, rounded nose cause any problemz towing and/or maneuvering?

HuntingHawk 09-08-2014 04:19 AM

You had mentioned adding a third axle. Did you modify the fender wells before working on the floor?

C-PHartley 09-08-2014 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wagonqueen (Post 2218073)
Awesome... The re build process is so fun to watch. I am looking forward to seeing you final project. We are at the end of a year long re build. It turned out better than we envisioned. As far as walls go, we used luan covered with different paintable wallpapers. The wall paper textures (which was MOD 70's) gave us the retro look we were going for. Keep the pics coming.

Where was the wallpaper covered luan purchased?

Harley1994 09-08-2014 05:34 AM

rebuild

Yes we think that its going to be a great area for a closet, the wife has allready had me measuring. The round nose is only around 9" longer then the original "shark nose", and I tow with a MDT so there is room, plus this has the older style pin box that is straight down, I could go with a newer style that is extended and maybe get one that has a form of motion control. This trailer like alot of older rv was very low to the ground, so I was just going to flip the axles, but they are drop axles and I couldn't get the height that I want so we are putting straight axles. and we are staying with 15" tires, we figured this very carefully and we don't even need a wheelwell the tires will clear under. We haven't purchased any wall covering yet, the wallpaper I think referenced to, was luan then covered with wallpaper. We are leaning toward FRP if we can find it closer to home, sooo many choices. Thanks for all the replys!:thumb:

Harley1994 09-08-2014 05:58 PM

rebuild

1 Attachment(s)
Its now down to bones, we will raise the rear section up to match the front so its all one level. put a new roof and aluminum siding on.

Gordon Dewald 09-09-2014 12:25 AM

Nice - work is proceeding at a good pace. Hope the winter weather holds off long enough to get it closed in.

HuntingHawk 09-09-2014 05:16 AM

Cargo tie downs in the back to secure the bikes?

Harley1994 09-09-2014 05:24 AM

rebuild

Its surprising how little seems to hold these rv together, it took me just one day to remove the siding and roof. Now the tedious work begins, going over the whole shell pulling staples and smoothing out everything. We decided since we were moving things around and there was going to be holes in places that there is no longer going to be an appliance and patches just didn't seem the way to go, and patching the siding would have just not looked right, we said lets replace the siding and put a new roof on. Well that mushroomed into if we put a roof on, we might as well raise the rear section to the same level as the front, to give more room, the headroom in these old campers are low. Yep we are hoping for a good fall here, the weather is on as I'm typing this and its predicting the temps going into the 60's during the day for later in the week. Winter is on the way:sad:!!

Harley1994 09-09-2014 05:29 AM

rebuild

Yep we are going with E Track on both sides and down the middle to give flexablity to hook up, as well as wheel chocks for the front wheels.:thumb:

TravisNuwa81 09-09-2014 12:09 PM

At the rate this is going you should be using it by thanksgiving! Haha

Harley1994 09-09-2014 12:48 PM

rebuild

Things will be slowing down a little I know we will be getting some weather, that because I have to work on it outside, we have to tarp it when they call for rain. I don't want to let it get wet at this stage. I do have a tendency to get obsessive, and won't quit until somethings done. I am going over all of it pulling staples (I think some factory worker must have had a fully automatic stapler, there's hundreds) and grinding down the glue they put on the sides for the siding, so the new siding will sit flush. Trying to get the roof raised!!

Gordon Dewald 09-09-2014 11:29 PM

You will like the E track. Are you going to have the raised or flush version?

Harley1994 09-10-2014 05:03 AM

rebuild

Gordon you got me now, I wasn't aware of flush mount E Track do you have to cut into the floor? if so how much? I'll have to look into that, I think I would like the flush version.

beamisl 09-10-2014 08:21 AM

Have you and the DW thought about feather painting instead of wallpaper. You could use any color combination you want and adjust the looks according to what you use as the applicator?

Harley1994 09-10-2014 09:10 AM

rebuild

Actually no we hadn't, I know my wife did something like that once on a border, hmmmm have to check that out! Thanks for the tip.:cool:

oakcreekeric 09-10-2014 09:30 AM

Amazing !?!?!?!

Just stumbled onto this thread... LOVE the pictures !!

I'm going to Sturgis next year... I'm thinking you should plan a well deserved vacation after undertaking such a huge project...

I hope to see you there !!!

Harley1994 09-10-2014 11:16 AM

rebuild

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks!, We are planning an 8000 mile trip from NY state across to Oregon down the coast and back thru southern states. Maybe if the planning is right we will be going thru the Dakotas soooo who knows!! Here's a shot getting ready to raise the sides 18" then a new roof.

Harley1994 09-10-2014 07:15 PM

rebuild

2 Attachment(s)
Just got back in from the rebuild, had to cover it up, expecting rain tomorrow, tarping is a pain. got the sides and roof rafters up but I didn't get a final pic.

TravisNuwa81 09-10-2014 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley1994 (Post 2223439)
Just got back in from the rebuild, had to cover it up, expecting rain tomorrow, tarping is a pain. got the sides and roof rafters up but I didn't get a final pic.

This is unbelievably amazing. Do you have a link or pics of the new siding?

Craig N Deb 09-10-2014 08:34 PM

Wow Harley1994,
I am impressed and now certainly riveted with your build! I give you a ton of credit taking on such a large project! I am impressed to say the least!
I am also own a custom car and bike business north of Chicago and I don't think I would take this project on! LOL
I will be watching your progress with anticipation!
Please keep the progress coming along with a ton of pictures!!!!!:popcorn:

Thank You for sharing........
Craig

Harley1994 09-11-2014 05:41 AM

rebuild

Thanks for all the kind words, it really keeps me going. I don't have the siding on yet, weather permiting I'll be getting it on in the next few days. here is a link to the co. its in Boston, Mass. J. Freeman, Inc. distributor - Velcro, Silicone, Plexiglas and more they are a distributer of many differant products. Years ago I was the one watching from the sidelines, but my father would always take on and build things he needed, he was a 3rd gen logger and once cut, seasoned and put up a log cabin for himself and my mother and never had done carpentry in his life. He would just study and do. Well gotta go for now Thanks again everyone.

Gordon Dewald 09-11-2014 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley1994 (Post 2222373)
Gordon you got me now, I wasn't aware of flush mount E Track do you have to cut into the floor? if so how much? I'll have to look into that, I think I would like the flush version.

Yes the flush mount is cut into the floor. It looks like the inset is about 1/4 - 3/8 deep. The track does rise up a small amount above the floor - estimate 1/8 - 3/16.

Harley1994 09-11-2014 01:17 PM

rebuild

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks Gordon, Do you have the flush e track? If so how do like it? I was wondering about possible debris getting into it and having trouble getting it out. I don't plan on having anything muddy in there but.... Well not doing alot today raining here, getting ready for a push into the weekend, staging pieces that need to go on.

HuntingHawk 09-12-2014 08:47 AM

Solar system on the roof? Semi permanent generator?

Outside entertainment center? Atleast a stereo?

Harley1994 09-12-2014 11:10 AM

rebuild

Solar is something I have been interested in, I don't plan on boondocking ,at least not right now. If I was I would be putting in a serious solor system w/batteries. My MDT has a generator built in so I don't need to put one in the trailer. I might do a built in stereo, I might be odd but we don't have a radio on in the house, in the car or truck but thats about it. We will be looking at some kind of tv system, not sure on that yet.

Gordon Dewald 09-12-2014 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley1994 (Post 2224459)
Thanks Gordon, Do you have the flush e track? If so how do like it? I was wondering about possible debris getting into it and having trouble getting it out. I don't plan on having anything muddy in there but.... Well not doing alot today raining here, getting ready for a push into the weekend, staging pieces that need to go on.

I have both the flush and top mounted track. Flush on the main deck, raised on the lift. Prefer the flush as it is easer to walk over and drive across. Trip hazard on both when the connection points are inserted . . . been there, done that.

Both are about equal to clean out. The raised may not collect as much debris but the flush is not that bad. Both collect when the tire drives across or you step on them. Flush has a small rise so debris does not "run" into it. So far no issues. I have taken the vacuum cleaner and the air hose to clean them. Vacuum is better. Less debris floating around.

Harley1994 09-12-2014 02:41 PM

rebuild

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the info will be looking into the flush mount for sure. Putting the underlayment on the roof today!!

Gordon Dewald 09-12-2014 02:55 PM

Golly that looks good. I replaced the sheeting and membrane on the 5er this summer. Did it by myself except for the DW helping me get the EPDM up on the roof.

Wish I were closer so I could come over and see it. Would be fun to give you a hand. And learn something new at the same time.

I look forward to each one of your posts.

HuntingHawk 09-12-2014 03:50 PM

I'm not a radio person either. But atleast give thought to a weather radio.

Harley1994 09-12-2014 06:06 PM

rebuild

I'm alone during the week, the wife helps on weekends with handing me things and saving steps which helps. It sure would be fun to have some help, this site helps by bouncing ideas around by people that have been there done that. You know a weather radio is probably a good choice, the weather around the country this summer seems like it was crazy. I need to get the EPDM yet what weight did you use for your roof? How did you fasten the sheeting? I stapled mine every 3 to 4 inches and was thinking of screwing it also. I also glued it. Saturday has a prediction for rain in the afternoon, so I don't know what I'll get done tomorrow. Would like to start putting the siding on.

Harley1994 09-13-2014 06:21 AM

rebuild

Temps dipped to 36 degs!! :eek: last nite, as I write this we have the pellet stove going. Supposed to rain this afternoon so I have to cover up, sunday is going to be ok.

Gordon Dewald 09-13-2014 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley1994 (Post 2225992)
I'm alone during the week, the wife helps on weekends with handing me things and saving steps which helps. It sure would be fun to have some help, this site helps by bouncing ideas around by people that have been there done that. You know a weather radio is probably a good choice, the weather around the country this summer seems like it was crazy. I need to get the EPDM yet what weight did you use for your roof? How did you fasten the sheeting? I stapled mine every 3 to 4 inches and was thinking of screwing it also. I also glued it. Saturday has a prediction for rain in the afternoon, so I don't know what I'll get done tomorrow. Would like to start putting the siding on.

I built a laminated roof. It had 1/2 sheeting before. I replaced with 3/8 inch plywood covered by 1/4 G1S plywood.

Used screws. Put in about 700 screws. Used screws as I was worried about the staples working loose as the trailer flexes when traveling. Seems like I was always going back to the lumber yard to get another box of them. Good reason to take a break and go for a ride.

Filled all of the screw holes with filler before placing the membrane.

We used 60ml EPDM. The roof originally had TPO but I liked the idea of EPDM so changed. The new membrane is thicker than the old one and IMO will have a better insulating effect.

TravisNuwa81 09-13-2014 10:16 AM

If you don't mind me asking, what is your total price going to be roughly?

Harley1994 09-13-2014 10:53 AM

rebuild

It sounds like you did an excellent job on the roof, I have to say I thought about using 1/2" plywood, but I didn't plan on walking on the roof, in hindsite it would be better. I knew that what I was doing was adequate, I will be screwing it also just to be sure. My totol price might surprise you, I was/am in business and know what the markup on alot of this stuff is. sometimes over 100%. that being said I try to find suppliers that will work with me. Everything that I have put in it to this point, Including buying the original trailer is 3000.00, that will put new siding, insulate, put underlayment on the roof. I replaced all the flooring plus raised the sides to the same level as the front. We figure that we will have around 5 to 6 thousand totol.

TravisNuwa81 09-13-2014 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley1994 (Post 2226768)
It sounds like you did an excellent job on the roof, I have to say I thought about using 1/2" plywood, but I didn't plan on walking on the roof, in hindsite it would be better. I knew that what I was doing was adequate, I will be screwing it also just to be sure. My totol price might surprise you, I was/am in business and know what the markup on alot of this stuff is. sometimes over 100%. that being said I try to find suppliers that will work with me. Everything that I have put in it to this point, Including buying the original trailer is 3000.00, that will put new siding, insulate, put underlayment on the roof. I replaced all the flooring plus raised the sides to the same level as the front. We figure that we will have around 5 to 6 thousand totol.

For 6k youve got a CUSTOM trailer that fits YOUR exact needs. Sounds perfect!!!!!

Harley1994 09-13-2014 01:08 PM

rebuild

Thats what we figured, we really looked for about a yr. from new to everything in between, we just couldn't justify spending anywhere from 100,000 for what we were going to do. I'm not saying that this trailer is going to be as good or whatever as one that is that much money, but I can say that "I" built this one. And your right when its done it will be what we need and want in it. I know this build is not for everyone for whatever reason.:)

Gordon Dewald 09-14-2014 11:44 AM

IMO a couple of things. Insulation and vapour barrier and ventilation.

One of the issues I have found during my research is the trailers are only built for casual occupation. Which means to me they are not insulated as well as I would like. Because of this they are cool when it is cold and hot when it is warm. Good insulation is cheap and will make the place much more comfortable. Insulating between the garage and living quarters would make it very cozy.

When I took the roof off of the 5er I found there was no vapour barrier. For most applications this is probably acceptable but when it is cool and you are showering, cooking, etc you know where the water vapour is ending up at. A roll of vapour barrier is cheap and will help keep the walls and insulation dry.

If insulation and vapour barrier are used ventilation may be an issue. Good and sufficient roof vents are the answer. A couple Fantastic fans (or equivalent) with rain and reversing would be a good start. Since you have the walls open adding the thermostat control would be easy and add a lot to their use.

A vent or two in the toy box is a must. I think a static vent would be adequate.

Harley1994 09-14-2014 12:18 PM

rebuild

Gordon, very good ideas, I should have thought about the vapor barrier, I will definitely do that. I'm using Poly Iso insulation which is a hard foam like with a backer on both sides, I figured on putting that in everywhere and then using a commercial grade foaming unit to fill any cracks making everything more solid. I have a power vent for the garage, but will have to think about putting in the other in the living area. I did think it would be a good idea to put insulation between the garage and the living area, that way you could leave the ramp down if you wanted to. Thanks!!:thumb:

beamisl 09-14-2014 02:55 PM

Harley1944,

I think a few of us are really enjoying your post. Please keep the pictures coming and I think if some of us were close you would have a lot of help. Hope to someday run into you two and get a chance to see this in person.. Thank you for sharing with us.

Lynne

Harley1994 09-14-2014 05:44 PM

rebuild

3 Attachment(s)
Thank you so much, I think it would be fun to have a bunch doing a project such as this, with so many with a varied knowledge of the different systems. Sorry I've been so slow with some pics but I was doing some small detail work. Getting ready to put the siding on, should start tomorrow. Here are some of the rear, trim and the bolts that are going to hold the rear ramp assembly.

Gordon Dewald 09-15-2014 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley1994 (Post 2228122)
Gordon, very good ideas, I should have thought about the vapor barrier, I will definitely do that. I'm using Poly Iso insulation which is a hard foam like with a backer on both sides, I figured on putting that in everywhere and then using a commercial grade foaming unit to fill any cracks making everything more solid. I have a power vent for the garage, but will have to think about putting in the other in the living area. I did think it would be a good idea to put insulation between the garage and the living area, that way you could leave the ramp down if you wanted to. Thanks!!:thumb:

On our 5er we have two fantastic fans in the living area. One in the bedroom and one in the main living area (near the garage wall). This enabled us to use the fans to cool the trailer. With the winter package we had (nowhere near as good as what you are going to install for insulation) we were able to rarely use the A/C.

In the evening when it was cooling off we would turn the fan in the living room to exhaust and the fan in the bedroom to draw. It would circulate the cooler outside air through the unit. When we went to bed we would turn the fan off in the bedroom and leave the vent open. The living room fan would continue to draw the cooler outside air through the trailer without the noise of the fan running in the bedroom. The living room fan was on a thermostat so it would shut off at the temperature we had selected based on comfort. Both of the fans had rain sensors so we never worried about rain at night.

In hindsight I would put both fans on a thermostat.

In the morning we would shut the fans off and close the blinds etc for the day. We would wait until the inside temp was close to the outside temp before opening any doors or windows. It would normally take until 3 or 4 in the afternoon for the trailer to heat up. We were under shade from about 1 pm.

With the amount and quality of insulation you are installing your unit will outperform the one we had by a substantial margin.

Harley1994 09-15-2014 11:38 AM

rebuild

2 Attachment(s)
The fan idea is really good its almost what I do in my house, we don't have AC in the house so we had to come up with a way to keep the house cool. I think I will follow your advise on the fans w/therm. Finally starting to put the siding on, had to come up with a way to hold it in place till I could fasten it.

Gordon Dewald 09-15-2014 02:34 PM

Looking good. Looks like the weather is holding.

Applying the siding by yourself is way more difficult than laying the roof.

Had another thought. With the extra height you could put an attic above the garage. If it were accessable and part of the living area a mattress up there would make a place for guests upon occasion. Or a place for extras like riding gear, etc.

TravisNuwa81 09-15-2014 07:45 PM

Is that smooth aluminum siding? Looks nice!

bap 09-15-2014 08:52 PM

thank you very much for taking your time and posting all the pix..

the wife i have recently started to rebuild a couple of small vintage tt,s..

we have alot to learn and i am in aww of your rebuild,,,,cant wait to see more pix and read your posts,,,,

thanks for your time and info., we have a total rebuild ahead of us on a 50,s go-tag-along 15ftr..lol but it will be like yours a tear down and total rebuild....--i have actually been converting a 30x50 shed of ours so i can bring it under roof this winter to work on both of our projects..

.we know how much work the small projects can get on just refurbing the i cabin and painting inside an outside..

thanks again for all the pix and info.,,,very helpfull ..and exciting to watch

Harley1994 09-16-2014 04:56 AM

rebuild

We thought about maybe adding something above the garage, but it would be only approx. 18 " I know in a trailer 18" is alot, but maybe not enough for a bed. I think I might use the space for cupboards, We have to put helmets, gear ect. Yep its smooth 4X8 sheets of .032 aluminum, we plan on using some graphics to break up the white so it won't look like a cargo van going down the road. I am learning as I go as well, and I wish I had a place to put this inside, it would make life alot easier. Good luck on your rebuilds, I'm sure you'll have some fun with them during and after you get'em done by saying I did that!:thumb:

bap 09-16-2014 07:42 AM

thanks,,,and yes it is fun and very rewarding when people ask about things that u have made and you tell them that i made that..
i was laughing when you were talking about all the choices about the wall paper and such because that really is one the toughest part s and probably one of the funest....lol

Harley1994 09-16-2014 09:08 AM

rebuild

Bap, We still haven't really decided on wall covering!! This is a slow day for me here, rained last night and this morn,so the 5'r is covered, looks like it might clear up and be good for 4 days!:eek:

Gordon Dewald 09-16-2014 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bap (Post 2230390)
i was laughing when you were talking about all the choices about the wall paper and such because that really is one the toughest part s and probably one of the funest....lol

Easiest and best is what DW decides.

Harley1994 09-16-2014 10:10 AM

rebuild

Gordon, More truer words have'nt been written.:angel:

Lincolnboy2 09-16-2014 10:48 AM

:popcorn:

Absolutely Fascinating.

I am so impressed. :thumb::thumb:

This is a great thread!!!

Very interesting and learning a lot along the way.....I am anyway.

Keep up the posts and pictures!! Good job!! :dance:

deSanford 09-16-2014 10:51 AM

WOW just stumbled on to this thread and couldn't stop reading all of your posts and enjoyed your pictures. deSanford

TravisNuwa81 09-16-2014 11:25 AM

Another question for ya, are you going to side the whole thing then cut out for windows? What are you using for windows?

Harley1994 09-16-2014 12:42 PM

rebuild

Thanks again for all the kind words! Travis, the trailer came with, IMO, nice aluminum framed sliders, I'm going to try to polish up the frames and install them, yes, I'm going to side the whole trailer then install the windows, partly because the inside walls have to be installed in order to hold the windows in. To cut the windows/doors there is an aluminum bit for a cut out tool I have, that will make a flush cut right up to the window frame, much like a bit for a router that you would use to finish a counter that you just put a piece of laminate on.

TravisNuwa81 09-16-2014 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley1994 (Post 2230790)
Thanks again for all the kind words! Travis, the trailer came with, IMO, nice aluminum framed sliders, I'm going to try to polish up the frames and install them, yes, I'm going to side the whole trailer then install the windows, partly because the inside walls have to be installed in order to hold the windows in. To cut the windows/doors there is an aluminum bit for a cut out tool I have, that will make a flush cut right up to the window frame, much like a bit for a router that you would use to finish a counter that you just put a piece of laminate on.

Ahhhh. I didn't even think about rigidity of the aluminum if you pre cut the window openings.

Harley1994 09-16-2014 06:22 PM

rebuild

Yes it kinda would be like swiss cheese! very flimsy:sad: