iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Vintage RV's (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Total Rebuild (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/total-rebuild-218277.html)

Harley1994 09-17-2014 03:11 PM

rebuild

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks Fred!! :thumb: This is how I pre drill the panels before I put them up, that way the holes (and screws) are lined up and all the same.

TravisNuwa81 09-17-2014 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley1994 (Post 2232357)
Travis, I looked at a bunch of factory trailers, from 18 wheelers on down, and also this one as I took it apart, this trailer was stapled and glued, and really not that many staples!! So to install this siding I used #8X1"white stainless steel screws 3" apart where the panels overlap, top to bottom. then there are 1 1/4" staples around the seams where it won't show after I put on the windows ect. also I used a construction adhesive on everything the panels will touch. NY Camper someone who's been there!! I am high up in elevation also, so fall and winter come early, 33degs this morning :eek: 66 degs now as I write this.

Second part of the question, haha where you screwed and stapled how did/are you going to seal out water?

Harley1994 09-17-2014 04:59 PM

rebuild

Travis, I should have said what I did, I used 1/16"X3X4" white butyl tape in between the panels that are screwed, where the staples are they will be covered by the window or door frame that will have different butyl tape (thicker-wider).

beamisl 09-17-2014 06:21 PM

Harley1944,

If the advertising doesn't work out you could probably show movies on the side of your trailer when it is done. Might want to leave one side white and advertise on the other, that way you could earn both ways.

I am so enjoying this build, thanks for sharing. LYNNE

Harley1994 09-17-2014 06:42 PM

rebuild

Lynne, we are just having so much fun with this, I never thought about outdoor movies!! LOL

TravisNuwa81 09-17-2014 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley1994 (Post 2232596)
Travis, I should have said what I did, I used 1/16"X3X4" white butyl tape in between the panels that are screwed, where the staples are they will be covered by the window or door frame that will have different butyl tape (thicker-wider).

I was gonna siggest butyl tape but I figured u knew what u were doing so I didn't wanna sound like an ass. Haha

bap 09-17-2014 09:58 PM

haaahaa, i thought it looked like a big movie screen to,,you could show movies at the campgrounds...lol
i to cant wait to see all the progress you are doing on this build,,,its what i look forward to each evening during my computer time,,,,keep up the good work,,,u definitly have us on edge waiting to see whats next..

Harley1994 09-18-2014 04:49 AM

rebuild

Travis, No reason not to suggest anything, I think thats what these forums are all about :thumb: ou never know when someone could miss something. Bap I could be the attraction everyone looks forward to coming! :blink: I will be continuing putting on the siding today, if everything works out I should get it on today.

bap 09-18-2014 07:11 AM

your all ready the main attraction on here...lol might as well take it to the campgrounds...lol

it is looking great...cant wait to see it this evening..hope alll goes smooth,,
i should pretty much be finishing up on the work shed today...its taken about a month working from early morn untill dark most everyday , then i can pull my projects in and start on them again...,,,then i will have no worries of rain or snow to stop me..

Harley1994 09-18-2014 07:25 AM

rebuild

Bap, that will be great to have all your projects inside! :) I'm jealous :bow:.

Gordon Dewald 09-18-2014 10:27 AM

Terry and Eleanor;
This is my favorite thread. Always looking to see the days progress.

Harley1994 09-18-2014 11:29 AM

rebuild

Thanks Gordon!!:) I have a question for anyone, is there a specific height that the rail for the awning has to be, the rail used to be the termination for the roof but I raised the sides 18" can I raise the rail up there and still be okay? Thanks!

Gordon Dewald 09-18-2014 11:51 AM

Terry - the higher you put the awning the less coverage you will have when facing the sun. I would set the height based on having a nice slope (IMO 2-3') on the awning to shed rain and still be able to comfortably walk under the lowest point (roller).

On the other hand the awning should be high enough so when set at the same angle the door will open and clear the awning.

How long an awning? Longer has more chances of having water pool as it stretches. I set one end of the awning about a foot lower than the other so the water runs away from the trailer and then either forward or back.

Craig N Deb 09-18-2014 12:15 PM

This is an amazing thread.....I find myself stopping in everyday to check your progress! I am really enjoying this! Keep up the good work....you have really captivated the IRV2 world!:popcorn: