iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Vintage RV's (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Goooodmorning!!! (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/goooodmorning-222101.html)

Electra 225 01-18-2019 11:33 PM

Hi Rail, let me take a guess at what year that was.......1978 by chance? The whole Midwest was a bear that year. After the biggest blizzard, our country roads looked like tunnels with 12ft walls. Only thing missing was the roof of the tunnel!
That was a darn cold and miserable job digging that truck out I'll bet. Especially the second time after the considerate actions of the dozer operator.
We're not getting as much here as Terry, 8 to 10 max. Tomorrow will be worse than today I'm guessing. The snow will have stopped, but- it's a really light fluffy snow due to a plummet in temps before it arrived. Which means, you guessed it.....winds pick up, and blow it all over. Visability will probably go to crap tomorrow.

guardrail53 01-19-2019 12:17 AM

WD, this was the blizzard of "79", 24" of snow fell, and with winds of 30 mph the drifts were well over 10'! There were drifts over houses, car lots looked like loaves of bread, with the antenna's sticking out! It was crazy, cool, unbelievable! I was stuck there for 4 days! Rail!:cool:

Electra 225 01-19-2019 12:21 AM

Well I was close. All of the mid to late 70s winters were very harsh and cold in Ioway.

One thing's for sure, ya don't have to deal with that crap anymore! [emoji106]

guardrail53 01-19-2019 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electra 225 (Post 4596024)
Well I was close. All of the mid to late 70s winters were very harsh and cold in Ioway.

There was also a blizzard in 1978, which was a way bigger storm that covered a lot bigger area, the whole mid west!
The one I was stuck in in 1979 was a freak snow storm, that was predicted to be 1" to 3" of snow!
CG had no snow removal equipment, just little plows on some of the garbage trucks, and had never seen a storm like this one! The National Guard was called in to help clear the snow! And yes, I had words with the officer in charge, after my semi got plowed in after I had dug it out by hand! I walked out in the street in front of his jeep, on the 4th day, told him my displeasure of them doing that, and he told me that he would have me arrested if I drove my truck before they lifted the "no driving ban" Hahahaha! It was just after he left, that the backhoe driver came and helped me dig out the second time, and hooked the chain to me, I ran to the motel, checked out, back to my truck, and the backhoe pulled me up to the top of the hill, and we unhooked the chain, and I made it to the interstate 55! I had my tarp rolled up on the dump bed trailer, and the bed was full of snow, so I had some weight, and it helped me get the needed traction, and by the time I got about 30 miles up the interstate, the roads were just wet! When I got to my house in Collinsville, I dumped the snow on the hill in front of my house, at the top of my driveway, which had no snow, and the kids from the area came and spread it out, and sledded down the hill till it all melted in the next few days! :dance::dance: Rail!:cool::D

rvpopeye 01-19-2019 04:19 AM

It's 19* at 6am.Already at today's high.

Nice to have some o dat southern heat !:thumb:

The guessers are going with 5-8" tonight and 11* before wind chill , turning to mix Sun morning and then my old friend freezing rain at 15* pm.

Same old story.:rolleyes:Looks like Terry "wins" again..........:dance: Yay lake effect !:laugh:

Harley1994 01-19-2019 04:36 AM

Good morning, yup weather gurus are saying 18" to 25"

ronjhall 01-19-2019 04:44 AM

Good morning all. Poured first cup of coffee. 19į with snow and winds 15 mph.
Aout 1" of snow on ground. WE should get (maybe) another 1-2".
Those still up north stay safe and warm.
Those down in warmer weather. Please share some of that warmth with us that had to stay up north.

Harley1994 01-19-2019 04:47 AM

We've been showed in at the house here for a week before, being at the top of the hill, one side the road drops off and the other way has a dip in the road that when the wind blows it fills up, 20' or so, it takes a V Plow hitting and backing up and hitting again to get thru. Up here it's not unusual to 3' or more out of a major storm, we are prepared, we could easily live here for a couple of months with what's in the house at any one time, just the way we are, gotta be prepared for anything.

rvpopeye 01-19-2019 05:34 AM

:bow:
I can't stockpile so much because of freezing temps but have a week or so in the cooler. (Not to keep it all cool but prevent freezing ......:thumb:)
Maybe a little longer , forgot the pancakes , biscuits and rice...

Franka548 01-19-2019 06:41 AM

Good Morning Gang,
Brrrrrrrr, that storm makes me so glad that I am here at RE and not back home in NE Ohio.
As others have said, those in the path of the storm, stay safe and hunker down.
Goldie is ready for primer, except for one spot under the hood, will wait for Lloyd on that one. Went golfing yesterday, so nothing got done. Ron and I are taking a drive up to Quartzite this morning to have a look around.
Have a great day all,
Frank

rvpopeye 01-19-2019 07:41 AM

Don't get lost in Q ;)

Wroughtnharv 01-19-2019 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvpopeye (Post 4596213)
Don't get lost in Q ;)

Quartzite for me is one of those ďbeen there, done that, donít need to go backĒ things.

Popeye, if you were here with me you could be in a t shirt like I am. You could also have some pancakes with jalopenas that Iím making for breakfast. Last night we had chicken fried venison back strap with mashed potatoes and gravy.

Iím using left over pancakes for bread and making breakfast sandwiches filled with ham steak, eggs, cheese, and of course fried jalopenas, use it lose it goes for left overs too.

rvpopeye 01-19-2019 08:38 AM

Thanks Harv.
Now , I'm HUNGRY !:eek:

The heat sounds delicious too.....:cool:

My future's so bright....
I gotta wear shades. :laugh:

Charlie and Martha 01-19-2019 08:53 AM

G'morning all,

Headed for a high of 70* here in Tucson today. If I could package up some warmth and send it where it needs to be I would do for y'all. We had our new recliner/couch delivered yesterday, it sure is a lot more comfortable than the OEM furniture was.

Today we are looking at Jeeps, our Kia Rio is dying a slow death caused by the ECM and power lock systems. To repair it would be about $2K and it's worth $2,500. Time to look I suppose. It sure wasn't in the grand plan.

Lloyd, The Blue Angels are a wonder to watch. When we were on Pensacola Air Station a few months ago, they practiced daily. Great fun to watch for sure. Lloyd any advise on purchasing a Jeep? We are looking at the Renegade Trail Hawk as a compromise on economy and light trail use.

Ann, glad your dental work is finished, good luck with the thyroid thing.

Harvey, love the new art work.

Rail, I was living in St. Louis during that storm. I worked for the VA Hospital at the time and was stuck there for 4 days because the roads were so bad. It worked out for me because I was in the middle of a separation with my ex-wife at the time...I was glad to be anywhere she wasn't...lol

If anyone is interested, we just published our latest Blog entry. We visited the Arizona Sonoran Desert Museum What a beautiful place.