iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   What would you have done? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/what-would-you-have-done-223070.html)

exrench 10-13-2014 08:27 AM

What would you have done?

During a recent trip to Alaska in the motorhome,we were camping in a less than nice RV park in Yukon and the MH owner two spaces away,changed his oil while it was still hot. In the morning,he very carefully lifted the oil drainpan and took it into the motorhome. I think I know what he did with the waste oil. I know the tag number of that older Bounder (but not the State).I debated reporting what I saw happen in that land of pristine lakes and rivers, but I am ashamed to say I did not. Help me here.

bulldog2 10-13-2014 08:29 AM

while i do not yet own a MH I think YOU know what YOU should have done

doc 10-13-2014 08:36 AM

Help you???? So, what would you have reported happened? That you saw a guy change oil and take the used oil into his camper? What violation of the law or rules is this? Certainly better than dropping it on the ground. What do you THINK he did? I suspect law enforcement might be asking the same thing I am, 'where/what was the violation?'

Ted E 10-13-2014 08:49 AM

I think you did the right thing. You did not see an offense occur, other than changing oil at a campsite.
Ted

mel s 10-13-2014 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exrench (Post 2267507)
During a recent trip to Alaska in the motorhome,we were camping in a less than nice RV park in Yukon and the MH owner two spaces away,changed his oil while it was still hot. In the morning,he very carefully lifted the oil drainpan and took it into the motorhome. I think I know what he did with the waste oil. I know the tag number of that older Bounder (but not the State).I debated reporting what I saw happen in that land of pristine lakes and rivers, but I am ashamed to say I did not. Help me here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by doc (Post 2267522)
Help you???? So, what would you have reported happened? That you saw a guy change oil and take the used oil into his camper? What violation of the law or rules is this? Certainly better than dropping it on the ground. What do you THINK he did? I suspect law enforcement might be asking the same thing I am, 'where/what was the violation?'

doc
I agree :thumb:
It's nobody's business what anyone does with their waste oil in the privacy of their coach...(methinks someone has to much time on his hands).

BTW, I, (we), use olive oil. :D

Mel
'96 Safari

dvmweb 10-13-2014 09:44 AM

Oh come you guys! You know where the oil was going to end up. Trouble is he did nothing wrong that was seen.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B

Oldkarphart 10-13-2014 10:03 AM

What's the big deal? I change my oil when it's hot and put the used oil in my pickup (all Ten Gallons of it). I then carry it to a recycle place and dump it in their holding tank. I wonder if Barney Fife got my license number. :dance:

Firebug5 10-13-2014 10:10 AM

I would simply alert the campground owner to the situation, that is what I would want to happen if I were the owner. Then, the owner could decide what the next course of action would be. Sometimes the easiest thing to do, is the best thing to do.

doc 10-13-2014 12:08 PM

dvmwed, I really don't know what you are trying to say. :confused: Not trying to belabor a point, but are you thinking he was going to pour the oil down the sink or toilet? :nonono: Surely a man with enough concern for his coach that he changes the engine oil would not be dumb enough to do that and risk damaging tanks, pipes and valves. Maybe he was, but maybe he had milk jugs he was going to put the oil in.
I walked into our coach one day with a small axe and a couple of garbage bags. Sure hope no one thought I was going in to chop my wife to death and hide the body ;)

Firebug5 10-13-2014 12:15 PM

I have heard of folks that will pour used motor oil into their septic system at home, attempting to kill tree roots that have invaded the pipes. Not my style, but you would never see me carrying that much used motor oil, in an open container, up the stairs and into my coach simply to pour it into containers with lids to dispose of. Why not just do that outside? Then again, I have been inside RV's where I felt like wiping my feet BEFORE going back outside.:D

Fl_Richard 10-13-2014 03:57 PM

Danger - the thought police are out again :)

Gary RVRoamer 10-15-2014 01:51 PM

I gotta admit it seems suspicious, but suspicion isn't the same as evidence. You could have informed the campground management, so that they would have some evidence if they later found oil in their septic or some such, but YOU have nothing to report to the authorities.

okgc 10-15-2014 02:04 PM

My wager is that "exrench" is very correct in the neighbors plan.

mel s 10-15-2014 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doc (Post 2267835)
dvmwed,
I walked into our coach one day with a small axe and a couple of garbage bags. Sure hope no one thought I was going in to chop my wife to death and hide the body ;)

doc
:laugh:
Now THAT IS suspicious, (a pan of USED OIL?... not so much). :dance:
Mel