iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Zep Wet Look Finish (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/zep-wet-look-finish-223925.html)

R1Kirby 10-20-2014 07:44 PM

Zep Wet Look Finish

Today I took the step and applied Zep Wet Look Finish on my 1995 bounder motorhome and now it looks amazing. First, I used Dawn dish washing soap to clean the fiber glass completely. I removed any and all road dirt, other blemishes and anything that might be greasy. Then I washed it again to make sure there was no soap left behind and it was all clean. Secondly, I applied the Zep Wet Look Finish. I use a Swiffer dry pad and a spray bottle for a nice even coat. I sprayed on Zep Wet Coat onto the Swiffer pad and applied the Zep to the motorhome. I applied three coats and when I was done, the results were amazing. I waited an hour between coats. You can see your reflection in the finish. I thought that I would past this along to those are looking for the new look.

JEEPOHOLIC 10-20-2014 11:15 PM

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

JEEPOHOLIC 10-20-2014 11:19 PM

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=870483339637940&set=ms.c.eJwtyskNwA AIA8GOIm6b~%3BhtLIHwsjbyEBB3smsmHa~%3Bdxh~%3Bw2q3I JaIy~%3BMNuaiuBZc932G40xVc5Euaamn2H7e55L1oEXTRsddg ~-~-.bps.a.618104044875872.1073741825.100000288457367& type=1&theater

JEEPOHOLIC 10-20-2014 11:24 PM

I'm doing the same thing, but I am removing the worn and peeling graphic stickers, so I have to do a little wet sanding, then use bar keepers friend, dawn dish soap for the final wash, I'm just doing a section at a time, the prep work is 90% of this job and in my case labor intensive

R1Kirby 10-21-2014 08:04 AM

Go to your NAPA auto parts store, or Auto Zone and get the 3M eraser wheel for your power drill. You can get the job done in a short time without all the hard work. I used the wheel to remove the old bounder decals and replace them with new ones.

04 keystone 10-21-2014 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R1Kirby (Post 2277943)
Today I took the step and applied Zep Wet Look Finish on my 1995 bounder motorhome and now it looks amazing. First, I used Dawn dish washing soap to clean the fiber glass completely. I removed any and all road dirt, other blemishes and anything that might be greasy. Then I washed it again to make sure there was no soap left behind and it was all clean. Secondly, I applied the Zep Wet Look Finish. I use a Swiffer dry pad and a spray bottle for a nice even coat. I sprayed on Zep Wet Coat onto the Swiffer pad and applied the Zep to the motorhome. I applied three coats and when I was done, the results were amazing. I waited an hour between coats. You can see your reflection in the finish. I thought that I would past this along to those are looking for the new look.

Did you do this over the decal's also?

drifter023 10-21-2014 08:28 PM

How about a photo?

IndioMark 10-21-2014 09:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Did the same to my 2003 Winnebago Adventurer this past summer. Used a micro fiber towel attached to a Swifter duster. Placed the Zep in a paint tray, dabbed excess liquid and then applied product. Used 4 coats and the shine is pretty spectacular. Went ahead and put the Zep on the graphics as well and they look better than they did before the Zep was applied. So far it's held up. My brother in law liked it so much I went over to his house and did the same to his RV. Attachment 77099

spritz 10-22-2014 02:05 AM

I'm afraid to do that to mine, I just have used wax for the last 4 years?

JFNM 10-22-2014 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spritz (Post 2279744)
I'm afraid to do that to mine, I just have used wax for the last 4 years?

The key, me thinks, is the preparation. When I did mine, I did the Bar Keepers Friend and good wash treatment first. It held up for a year but then started peeling in a few spots. I'm about to do it again but have purchased some TCP. This time, I hope to nail the prep stage (as documented in other threads) and get better lasting results (like others have reported getting).

Shamrock56 10-22-2014 05:32 AM

We did the Zep treatment to our 1994 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser; WOW, what a difference.

spritz 10-22-2014 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFNM (Post 2279779)
The key, me thinks, is the preparation. When I did mine, I did the Bar Keepers Friend and good wash treatment first. It held up for a year but then started peeling in a few spots. I'm about to do it again but have purchased some TCP. This time, I hope to nail the prep stage (as documented in other threads) and get better lasting results (like others have reported getting).

I have seen what you were talking about.
You say it is coming off? Do you then need to lightly sand or use 00000 steal wool.
Gosh if it only lastes a year wouldn't you be better off just waxing her?
Tim

bailiff 10-22-2014 06:40 AM

Zep Wet Look Finish

An old trick here in Florida was to use a few coats of Penetrol on a faded fiberglass boat before placing it for sale. That trick would usually last a week or two.
The Zep or Red Max Pro floor finish should only be used on a finish that can't be restored to a realistic shine by normal waxing. After hours of rubbing compound and waxing producing inferior results I started to listen.
I did my old fifthwheel trailer and was satisfied with the results. Mine lasted almost 18 months before I reapplied it. If you let it go too long, you will have to strip it off to get the same results. The old trailer looked good the day I sold it after 4 years of shining floor polish.

R1Kirby 10-22-2014 06:44 AM

Yes I went over the decals when I did the zep. I have tried to upload pictures of the complete job, but the site won't let me. I could not find any direction in the help section. If someone could advise me as to how to upload the pictures I'd be more than happy to....