iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   MH-General Discussions & Problems (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/)
-   -   MB Sprinter in Colorado passes? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/mb-sprinter-in-colorado-passes-228695.html)

Old Dude 66 12-08-2014 06:20 AM

MB Sprinter in Colorado passes?

We are currently in a 36 foot V10 pulling a Jeep. We are seriously considering downsizing to a Sprinter. Does anyone have experience with a MB on Colorado passes such as Wolf Creek, etc? The info says they have a hitch rated at 5000 lbs and the Jeep weighs less than that, but I am not sure if the diesel engine can handle the weight. Any info?

Rich and Cork 12-08-2014 07:58 AM

A friend has a Sprinter conversion and has travelled the mountain passes in Colorado, including going to Silverton. Has to go slow in some places, but gets there just fine. I am amazed at how well the Sprinter does and his is a full conversion. I would guess his is around eight years old.

Gary RVRoamer 12-08-2014 11:20 AM

The rule of thumb is about 1 hp per 100 lbs (including toad). That usually gives adequate but not blazing performance. Maybe a bit slow on the steeper grades, but it does the job. A 5-6 speed transmission is a big plus vs a 4 speed - you need gears to help the smaller engines apply their power efficiently.

dancogan 12-08-2014 04:22 PM

We spent 2 weeks traveling in CO a few summers ago. We were only pulling an open trailer with a motorcycle, total weight about 1500-1700 pounds. Had absolutely no problem. Drove the Million Dollar Highway with no problems, and no problems with any of the other roads we were on. The MB 6 cylinder diesel does just fine out there.

Old Dude 66 12-09-2014 08:15 PM

Since the View only weighs 11,000 lbs, I figure we will be fine. Thanks for the replies!

Mich F 12-10-2014 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dude 66 (Post 2340001)
Since the View only weighs 11,000 lbs, I figure we will be fine. Thanks for the replies!

That doesn't sound right- the GVWR is 11,030#. :confused:

RodgerS 12-10-2014 08:01 AM

Why are you considering downsizing? Length is a question I'm still rolling around with, floor plan not so much. Always very interesting when owners buck the upsizing trend. Did you consider the 28 to 32 foot gas and diesel options? There are also some thoughts out there that some owners stored a lot of junk they really didn't need and realized they could do with a lot less storage capacity. I keep coming back to 34 ft, but longer and shorter from that length still seem to tug at me.

Seems to me the critical thing is to weight the rv and then see what you have to do to stay within GCWR, as I understand it, and compromises always seem to be part of the equation. I thought one of the values of having a sprinter was not to need a toad, assuming you are looking at 24.5 ft though I know some sprinters have longer length.

dancogan 12-10-2014 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mich F (Post 2340335)
That doesn't sound right- the GVWR is 11,030#. :confused:

You are correct. But GCWR is 15,250.

Old Dude 66 12-10-2014 10:50 AM

I am simply tired of the size and the 6.5 mpg. Our unit sits in its shed 9 months out of the year since it costs so much to take trips in it. We want to take our Rubicon since we enjoy driving the off-road passes.

Steve Ownby 12-10-2014 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dude 66 (Post 2338175)
We are currently in a 36 foot V10 pulling a Jeep. We are seriously considering downsizing to a Sprinter. Does anyone have experience with a MB on Colorado passes such as Wolf Creek, etc? The info says they have a hitch rated at 5000 lbs and the Jeep weighs less than that, but I am not sure if the diesel engine can handle the weight. Any info?

We took a cross country trip a few years ago with friends who traveled in a Winnebago Via pulling a Saturn Vue. We crossed the Big Horn Mtns on hwy 16 out of Buffalo, Wy on the way to Cody. We pulled the pass on the east entrance to Yellowstone. We pulled I70 east bound up to the Eisenhower tunnel. I would say that overall the performance of the little MB diesel was satisfactory. The biggest con is the size of the fuel tank .

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Old Dude 66 12-11-2014 06:06 AM

We looked at a couple of Winnebago Vias yesterday and were impressed by the build quality. We have been spending three months in Colorado in the summer and figure we would be at each others throat if we tried that in a 24 foot unit.

Also, by the time we took into account the trade difference, we can buy lots of gasoline by not trading. Our Adventurer simply has too many nice amenities to turn loose of at this time. If we could afford it, a Via would be nice to have for the short trips and the Adventurer for the extended stays but, alas. :nonono: