iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   New Member Check-In (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/)
-   -   Checking In (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/checking-in-228702.html)

jplante4 12-08-2014 07:46 AM

Checking In

Thanks for including me in your RV group. We're from Cape Cod and right now own 2 motorhomes; a 28' Monterey (Chevy chassis) and a 35' Safari Sahara that we just bought last month. Obviously the Monterey is for sale, or will be in the spring. I figured I would spend the $400 to store it over the winter instead of discounting it to be sold in the winter.

The Monterey was our "starter bus". We figured for the cost of renting an RV to do some weekend trips and a 2 week vacation, we could buy something, work out the kinks, make a list of what we wanted and then sell it for about what we paid for it. I'll let you know in the spring how that worked out :rolleyes:

The Sahara ticks off all of the items on our list except slides. After looking at various used models, the layout of the Safari coaches is roomy enough without the slides and slides are about 5 more things to break. We had a hard time finding one, but finally the exact unit we wanted hit craig's list locally.

I have a list of honey-do projects for the Sahara in the spring. We're removing the couch and replacing it with dual recliners, dumping the recliner and lamp table on the pax side and installing a flat-screen TV in a hide-away cabinet in that spot. The backup camera doesn't work, so that means I can go wireless with a smaller monitor and get rid of the huge tube TV over the driver's head. I'll go flat-screen digital in the bedroom as well meaning I can dump the converter boxes too.

I've already replaced the tires and everything else works. I plan to take it into a local truck service place in the spring and have them go over the CAT and Allison tranny. The only issue I've found is the engine hour meter runs continuously. I pulled the fuse to stop it for now, but my guess is that there's a relay or something stuck. And I need to do something about the chassis heat. The heater valve control cable is broken. I had a similar problem with the Monterey and was able to resolve it using an electronic heater valve.

The plan is to do weekend trips and 2-3 week vacations for a couple of years and then tour the country over a period of months. The DW is already talking about downsizing the S&B to a condo and has finally agreed with me that we need to tow a vehicle in order to get the most out of RVing.

I will post pics of the TV project for anyone considering a similar move.

Greetings!

JohnRR 12-08-2014 08:37 AM

:welcome:
It seems like you've got a good handle on it all.

Jim28730 12-08-2014 08:52 AM

Congrats and welcome to the best RV forum on the web! You will find plenty of answers here and members are always eager to help. Keep us posted on your progress :thumb:

JFNM 12-08-2014 09:53 AM

Welcome Jerry! Your projects sound great - keep it up!

camato5 12-08-2014 09:59 AM

Welcome aboard

Welcome aboard ya'll this is the best place for any questions you may want answered. all kinds of opinions ha

MSHappyCampers 12-08-2014 03:35 PM

Hi Jerry & Jeanne! Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you join the gang! :dance:

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless! :thumb::D

PPAinPA 12-08-2014 07:42 PM

Welcome, Jerry and Jeanne... Hope you enjoy it! We will be heading your way this summer for a few weeks... Hope the cape is allis is said to be! travel Safe..

Gordon Dewald 12-08-2014 07:47 PM

Exciting news. Enjoy the new ride. Looking forward to the photos.

r___r 12-08-2014 10:08 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Medico 12-09-2014 04:38 AM

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...298df81aed.gif Welcome and glad to meet you!

bdickson 12-09-2014 04:41 AM

Chiefbvfd 12-09-2014 06:16 AM

Welcome....:)

vol445 12-09-2014 07:53 PM

New guy

Hello all my wife and I were not ready for a mh. But due to her always wanting one and being diagnosed with a rare disease we found one I could make work. I have over 300 hours in the rebuild and still have a few issues but we have made two great trips with our daughter. Our son is 17 and it just isn't cool to hang with your parents anymore. I found a 94 tioga inside in great shape except cabover and the roof was a major project I did on my own as well. Who new rubber was so heavy. Replaces brake lines, emission hoses, tires and shocks. Exterior walls were excellent but have started the restripping. It's looking really good. Now I just need to figure out what's going on with the brakes. Before spring anyways thanks and I love how campers are always so helpful towards each other. See ya out there

Fred1609 12-09-2014 10:43 PM

Hope you and your wife enjoy your new rig.....great way to get around and see the country....We always like pictures of re-builds/upgrades.

Safe and Happy Travels.