iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   New Member Check-In (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/)
-   -   Introduction (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/introduction-230991.html)

jeeper54 01-03-2015 02:52 PM

Introduction

Hello from Glendale, Arizona. We are Jim & Cathy and newbies when it comes to motorhomes. In the past I had camped on the ground, then moved up to a pickup & camper and for the last few years we have owned a 1983 23 ft travel trailer but it is set up on my brothers rural property and no longer on the road. We are both on disability so money is limited and I can no longer do mechanical work like I used to. We have wanted a class c motorhome for a long while and finally found something we could afford. Unfortunately after buying a 1988 20 ft. Lindy with 42K miles I was only 2 blocks away when problems started, white smoke out the tail pipe & cutting out/loss of power, barely made it home and as soon as I parked it, it died and won't restart. I'm thinking the low pressure fuel pump in the tank but don't know about the smoke. Hoping it's just gunk in the tank since it sat a long while. There are several other problems with it too but I think I can still handle the small stuff, just not the drivability issues. But I will get it in shape and start enjoying it. I have been reading articles on this site for awhile and decided it's time to join. Glad to be a part of the "family".

CLIFFTALL 01-03-2015 02:54 PM

Welcome to the forum. We're glad you joined us.

Cougarkid 01-03-2015 03:39 PM

Welcome aboard!

Sorry to hear about the troubles.

"I was only 2 blocks away when problems started, white smoke out the tail pipe & cutting out/loss of power, barely made it home and as soon as I parked it, it died and won't restart.

Without knowing more about engine and issues, will throw out some thoughts for you. Engine issue are just like any other car/truck. Nothing special, just tighter quarters to work in.

ALWAYS start small and work your way up to the big stuff.
Get some help from friends, if you can.

Several possibilities - cheap to expensive.

Cheap:
Dirty carb
Fuel filters / fuel
Plug wires
Spark plugs
-----------
Bad/loose/dirty causes misses and non-running

Moderate:
Battery(s)
Alternator
Loose belts
-----------
Low voltage affects high-energy ignition systems.
Low power = low spark, missing

Expensive:
Blown head gasket.
--------------------
White smoke and loss of power - typical signs.
Oil on dipstick black or chocolate brown/foamy? Brown/foam is bad.
Is oil full or over-full? Over-full is bad.
Oil filler cap - bottom clean or brown/foamy? Brown/foam is bad.
Radiator full? Clean? Gas/oil smell? dirty/oily is bad.

ALWAYS start small and work your way up.
Get some help from a friend, if you can.

Good Luck!

Chiefbvfd 01-03-2015 04:32 PM

Welcome....)

MSHappyCampers 01-03-2015 04:58 PM

Hi Jim & Cathy! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us! :dance:

Hope you get the class C figured out! Enjoy the forum!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless! :thumb::D

JohnRR 01-03-2015 05:18 PM

:welcome:
White smoke in the exhaust is usually and indication of coolant leaking into a cylinder from either a blown head gasket, cracked head or block. I really hope I'm wrong.

Fred1609 01-03-2015 08:48 PM

Welcome to the forum....hopefully it isn't a blown head gasket......But until you get it looked at you wont know what it is......good luck with it..

Safe and Happy Travels.

Mekanic 01-03-2015 10:01 PM

:welcome:
You have found a good place for info glad to have you here.

r___r 01-04-2015 02:17 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Medico 01-04-2015 06:00 AM

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...298df81aed.gif Welcome and glad to meet you!

Cougarkid 01-04-2015 12:44 PM

Jeeper54,

As you find out more, let us know.
Search the forums for answers.
Ask your questions and you will get good, solid answers.

CampingCajun 01-04-2015 03:08 PM

Welcome! Hope you get everything worked out.

jeeper54 01-05-2015 07:56 PM

You all make a person feel welcome. Thank you. Been on other sites that were "clikish" and kind of ignored me, being new to their site.
Blown head gasket is what I first suspected but soon as it cooled off I checked oil. Clean & full. Checked coolant and inside of radiator. Clean & full. Smoke doesn't start right away and stops about the time engine is getting to temp. Soon as I feel better I'm going to start pulling the spark plugs and get a better idea. Hate that I can't do mechanical repairs any more but a mechanic my brother used in the past is going to come over sat. and help me. I was able to move around good enough the other day and started repairing and upgrading lights inside & out. Turning into a bigger project than I thought but still love it. Anxious to be on the road even if the wife will be doing the driving. :angel: (Don't tell her I said that!)

LarrytheBear 01-05-2015 08:07 PM

It's good to have you join in. Sounds like you'll get it going before long. Hope to see you out there on the road. Good luck with getting the wife to drive :thumb: