iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Fleetwood Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/)
-   -   '07 Southwind BR TV Removal? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/07-southwind-br-tv-removal-232868.html)

volvik 01-21-2015 12:52 PM

'07 Southwind BR TV Removal?

[ moderator edit ]

One of my winter projects was to replace the older LCD flat panel TV's in the coach. The front went fine resulting in a new 32" display over the OEM Samsung 26".

The OEM 20" Samsung in the bedroom is fast becoming a problem. It's sitting on it's pedestal however it appears they used double sided tape to secure it to the shelf. I've tried to put a heat gun gently to the pedestal base and then slide a long icing spreader (I asked the wife first...:bow:) to get under the pedestal in hope of releasing the adhesive.

Doesn't want to give.....and before I do something I'll likely regret I thought I'd canvass the brain trust here for some input.

I've called the factory and they sent schematics but no mention of how it is secured down. I called the dealer and he said it was likely that it's been installed with the tape.

:popcorn:

Thanks in advance.......Ron

dvmweb 01-21-2015 05:31 PM

No screws/bolts from underneath? Solvents? Maybe make a dam with, oh, plumber's putty and put acetone or something to cut/loosen the glue. Maybe try some on the tabletop first to see if or how badly it will discolor. Good luck.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B

volvik 01-21-2015 06:16 PM

Nope, no screws at all from the underside and the plastic pedestal for these TV's doesn't accommodate fasteners etc.

I don't want to muscle it too much and create a building reno situation which would involve replacing and matching the shelf etc. Really unfortunate that they'd choose this easy way out to secure the TV to the shelf.

:mad:

Fl_Richard 01-26-2015 07:09 PM

Use a thin putty knife or a fein saw with a putty knife blade. If its taped on this will be the cleanest as it will glide thru the tape. Removing the tape and tape residue will take traditional methods. I prefer WD40 and terry rags. The shelf finish needs to be considered for any solvent or other chems.

volvik 01-26-2015 07:33 PM

Thanks for your input Richard, it is indeed frustrating. I did see another post on another RV forum with the identical situation however his thread was quickly hijacked into a different TV removal on a different coach.....:facepalm:

I did slide a thin blade under but it didn't have a sharp edge at all so I will have another look. If it doesn't appear it's going to budge I'll leave the sleeping dog alone as I don't want my innocent idea of a 6" larger display to morph into a cabinet reno...hahaha.

Ron

Zoom Zoom 1 01-27-2015 06:40 AM

TV Removal

volvik, if the existing TV location is OK, can you leave the pedestal and try to mount the replacement TV to the old mount pedestal? A lot of the newer TV's have the same external size (or close) to the older sets and the mounts do have some consistent size. Maybe a Best Buy or similar store might also have some sort of an adapter kit.
Just a thought.
Good Luck with the change out.
Zoom

volvik 01-27-2015 07:05 AM

Zoom, sadly that's not an option with this one. I agree most have detachable pedestals however this little guy is actually fastened to the TV and has a lever somewhere on the back that allows the TV to fold down to the rear, very unusual.