iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Toads and Motorhome Related Towing (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/)
-   -   Car Trailer brakes no worky (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/car-trailer-brakes-no-worky-234883.html)

Reelgator 02-09-2015 08:32 AM

Car Trailer brakes no worky

I have a drive on trailer for my toad. I have had issues with the lights on the trailer since the day I bought it. This weekend I noticed no lights worked except for the driving lights. Normally this is something I would fix, but time didn't allow this. So I called a local mobile RV tech and he came out and rewired the connection while I was on a business call. He removed the 7 pin connector and replaced it with a 4 pin plug. When I got back to the park that evening I asked the wife if all was good and she said as far as she knew yes. I took a look and knew then the trailer brakes will not work now and they don't. I am now in west Texas on my way to L.A and really don't have the time to pull into a RV shop...unless I absolutely need to. I will drive 5000+ miles over the next 6 weeks. I can't really tell the brakes don't work, coach stops fine..........but should I be concerned enough to make another attempt at a correct repair? What I drive and pull is in my sig. :confused:

Skip426 02-09-2015 09:15 AM

I hope you can put a stop payment on that bill.
That mobile ( self edit ) has no right calling himself a tech.
Your stopping distance has been increased by 25 + %.
JMHO: Get in and have the brakes fixed properly.

Reelgator 02-09-2015 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip426 (Post 2418113)
I hope you can put a stop payment on that bill.
That mobile ( self edit ) has no right calling himself a tech.
Your stopping distance has been increased by 25 + %.
JMHO: Get in and have the brakes fixed properly.

If my wife had not paid cash.........................

Guess I'm now looking for a tech in El Paso :banghead:

BPoland 02-09-2015 11:01 AM

As a quick fix, If you can identify what wire from the now non-existant 7 way plug, fed the brakes, you can hard wire (connect the brake wire from the Coach, to the brake wire on the trailer). You can even install a special plug on either the coach side or trailer side. It will be one more plug connection to be made until you can get it fixed.

Depending on how bad the "mobile tech" hosed your connection :banghead:, it may be a simple work around.

Reelgator 02-09-2015 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BPoland (Post 2418241)
As a quick fix, If you can identify what wire from the now non-existant 7 way plug, fed the brakes, you can hard wire (connect the brake wire from the Coach, to the brake wire on the trailer). You can even install a special plug on either the coach side or trailer side. It will be one more plug connection to be made until you can get it fixed.

Depending on how bad the "mobile tech" hosed your connection :banghead:, it may be a simple work around.

That was my next step, but I found a local mechanic than is coming out with a 7pin connector to do the job right. Talked to the other dude, his excuse was he only had a 5 pin connector and thought he could make it work. Then find out the wife tipped him 25.00 for coming out so fast. :banghead: