iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   5th Wheel Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   levels on 5th wheel (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/levels-on-5th-wheel-23646.html)

tomwin 02-21-2006 10:34 AM

tomwin 02-21-2006 10:34 AM

hi people
I just purchased 2 curved shaped levels to stick on my trailer.I know this will sound stupped but how do you put them on and know they are reasonably level to check my rv thanks in advance. tom

Vette Racer 02-21-2006 11:04 AM

Since the frig is the most important I level the trailer using a regular carpenters level or other small level, then check the frig for level. Once I'm satisfied its all where I want it I go out and put the levels on the outside and make sure they read "level".

Ken Lenger 02-22-2006 03:29 AM

I used a 2' carpenter's level on the floor and leveled the trailer both ways, and then attached the other levels.

Rick A 02-22-2006 03:31 AM

Same here. I use a 6' level inside to level the trailer with blocks side to side, then the front jacks for front to back, then put the levels on the outside.

cdrcos 02-22-2006 12:27 PM

Refrigerators are much more tolerant to not being exactly level these days. I always level mine to the stove top. Nothing worse than having stuff running out of the pan or off the griddle because it is not level.

Once you have the rig perfectly level, both fore and aft & side-to-side, then apply the levels.

Two Bit 02-22-2006 01:23 PM

get the trailer level front to rear and side to side. Then mount one level on the front of the kingpin (assuming you have a fiver)so you can see it from the cab to tell you side to side as you park. put the other level on the side next to your landing gear control so you can level front to rear after unhooking the truck.

Paul Heuvelhorst 02-23-2006 07:10 PM

I did the same things Two Bit recommends on our travel trailer. I used the kitchen counter, but double-checked the floors, and refrigerator too. There was no significant differences in our unit.

Our front level, for side-to-side leveling, is mounted on the front of the trailer so it is visible through the rear view mirror of the truck. The smaller level for front-to-rear is located on the tongue where I can read it while adjusting the tongue jack.

DW has become very adept at watching the side-to-side level to determine if we need to raise one side of the trailer and prepares the correct number of plastic blocks to place under the wheels.

Vette Racer 02-23-2006 07:42 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cdrcos:
Refrigerators are much more tolerant to not being exactly level these days. I always level mine to the stove top. Nothing worse than having stuff running out of the pan or off the griddle because it is not level.

Once you have the rig perfectly level, both fore and aft & side-to-side, then apply the levels. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree with the post about leveling the rig, however, if you have a Dometic frig you had better make sure its level in the higher altitudes. Mine will lose up to 10 degrees if is not real close to level at 7700ft. May be just mine but FYI.

wittmeba 03-04-2006 04:33 AM

Go here for additional discussion on the level subject:

Where to put levels