iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   New Member Check-In (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/)
-   -   Curious newbie (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f61/curious-newbie-236941.html)

FlaBound 02-28-2015 03:32 PM

Curious newbie

Hello all from cold and dreary Maryland.
Been "kicking tires" for years, in anticipation of pulling the trigger around the time I retire.
Just hanging out to get as much advice and wisdom as I can.

Dixieray53 02-28-2015 03:38 PM

Welcome. You found the best place for fun and information available. Best of luck on your search for the perfect home on wheels. D

t55watson 02-28-2015 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlaBound (Post 2445750)
Hello all from cold and dreary Maryland.
Been "kicking tires" for years, in anticipation of pulling the trigger around the time I retire.
Just hanging out to get as much advice and wisdom as I can.

:welcome:Much wisdom to be found on this site. When it comes time for you to purchase it will be all you. Advice can be given but you shall find what suits you.

MSHappyCampers 02-28-2015 04:02 PM

Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang here! :dance:

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless! :thumb::D

Kdsgone2dogs 02-28-2015 04:09 PM

Welcome! Any idea yet what you're looking for? We were all over the place when we first started...you will find what suits you...just keep asking questions! Planning on full timing?
Good luck in your search...ask questions...
Andi

denlock 02-28-2015 04:18 PM

:welcome:

JohnRR 02-28-2015 04:23 PM

:welcome:
Lot's to learn here.

FlaBound 02-28-2015 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kdsgone2dogs (Post 2445806)
Welcome! Any idea yet what you're looking for? We were all over the place when we first started...you will find what suits you...just keep asking questions! Planning on full timing?
Good luck in your search...ask questions...
Andi

First, thanks all for the warm welcome.

As to what, and how;
Been looking and researching for years. Have rented one, and test drove several at the hershey show.
Narrowing it down to a new or late model class A, or used DP.
Impressed with Newmar, Winnebago, and Tiffin.
Top plate gas might be a Winnebago Adventurer, or Newmar Canyon Star.
If I hit the lottery, or decide to go for broke, a Pheaton, or Ventanna

I'm a year or two from retirement, and would not be able to spend much time traveling to justify the purchase now.

But...I do have my eye on a used Lazy Daze, to hold me over till we pull the trigger on a the Class A. And who knows. A Lazy Daze may be enough. I think the are an impressive class C.

Medico 02-28-2015 04:42 PM

:welcome: Welcome, glad to meet you!

Some day we'll be saying "Welcome to Florida".

r___r 03-01-2015 12:14 AM

Welcome to the forum!

Thornhammer 03-01-2015 06:53 AM

:welcome: We are glad yall joined us

Superslif 03-01-2015 07:12 AM

Welcome to the family.

Retiring in a year or two if you were buying new it would make sense to get one a few months early to work any bugs out. So buying used hopefully any issues have been taken care of.

Were also a little over a year from retiring, but have had the opportunity to camp a lot (50-60 nights a year) the past 25 years. We do three 1 or 2 week vacations during the summer months and about every other weekend in the shoulder seasons. This year we are doing our first 3 week trip to NE. PA. & VT. Hope to do a summer Alaskan trip the summer of 16'. Now that will be the BIG one.

Many people who have camped all there lives might have started tent camping , moved up to a pop-up, then trailer, then 5er, then a C, then gas A, the a pusher....

At one point we thought a larger 5er (Carriage) was the perfect unit. But then I would need a $50k+ diesel truck. Would also never be able to get it up the driveway. So do we need a another home just because of that. We also do 90% of our RVing in state & federal parks. So especially in the East and Northeast (OH., PA., NY., VT., WV.) a 35'+ unit would have limited us in what sites we could get and even what parks we stayed at. Just something to think about.

FlaBound 03-01-2015 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superslif (Post 2446633)
Welcome to the family.

Retiring in a year or two if you were buying new it would make sense to get one a few months early to work any bugs out. So buying used hopefully any issues have been taken care of.

Were also a little over a year from retiring, but have had the opportunity to camp a lot (50-60 nights a year) the past 25 years. We do three 1 or 2 week vacations during the summer months and about every other weekend in the shoulder seasons. This year we are doing our first 3 week trip to NE. PA. & VT. Hope to do a summer Alaskan trip the summer of 16'. Now that will be the BIG one.

Many people who have camped all there lives might have started tent camping , moved up to a pop-up, then trailer, then 5er, then a C, then gas A, the a pusher....

At one point we thought a larger 5er (Carriage) was the perfect unit. But then I would need a $50k+ diesel truck. Would also never be able to get it up the driveway. So do we need a another home just because of that. We also do 90% of our RVing in state & federal parks. So especially in the East and Northeast (OH., PA., NY., VT., WV.) a 35'+ unit would have limited us in what sites we could get and even what parks we stayed at. Just something to think about.

Very good advice.
My wife and I did a good bit a tent camping from the smokies to canada.
Only once in an RV.
It may be prudent to start small, and test the waters.
Don't want to find out it's not for us, and take a whopping hit if we sell.
Thanks

cruzbill 03-01-2015 10:26 AM

FlaBound, Small could be big:
Leisure Travel Vans - Videos

or

Oliver Travel Trailers | Fiberglass Travel Trailers