iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   RV Systems & Appliances (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Bathroom vent blowing IN rather than OUT (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/bathroom-vent-blowing-in-rather-than-out-240441.html)

Tuxster 03-30-2015 10:11 PM

Bathroom vent blowing IN rather than OUT

Hi,

I have a 30-foot 1993 Pace Arrow gas motorhome that's in very good condition.

However, I just discovered that the bathroom vent fan blows air IN, rather than OUT. So, I'm not able to suck bathroom odors and hot water moisture from the shower out of the bathroom.

I went on top of the RV roof to check things out.

It looks like the unit was originally installed this way, but I don't know why. Because I thought the purpose of the bathroom vent fan was to blow things out, rather than old air in.

The fan unit has two wires.

If I was able to reverse the wires, would the fan then operate correctly?

Would this be a pretty simple job to do?

Thanks!

BFlinn181 03-30-2015 10:15 PM

Yes, reversing the wires should change direction of the fan's rotation. Someone might have disconnected it to clean it and then hooked it up wrong.

Mr_D 03-30-2015 10:23 PM

Or you could install a double pole double throw switch and be able to run it both in and out. Simple to do and a permanent answer to your "problem". In fact some come that way.

Scarab0088 03-30-2015 10:26 PM

Our last TT had a reversable fan in the bedroom. It would turn on and off based on pre-set tempurature too.

There were 3 switches on the fan body (speed dial, temp dial and 3 position rocker for on-off-on in reverse). The wall switch was just master on-off.

Are there any switches on the fan body?

If not, then swapping the wires on the DC motor will reverse the fan.

Best luck

wa8yxm 03-31-2015 07:41 AM

Standard bathroom fan uses a Permanent Magnet motor. (So does Fantastic Fan) reversing wires reverses motor

I use computer fans..Reverse the wires..They do not work.

jesilvas 03-31-2015 07:42 AM

Maybe someone replaced the fan blade and it was the wrong one. Or replaced the motor. The blades only rotate on way.

Dr4Film 03-31-2015 07:48 AM

My toilet room fan will blow in either direction depending on where I have the selector switch set to.

I removed the OEM toilet fan which only ran in one direction and one speed and replaced it with the Heng Vortex II Upgrade Kit.

Excellent and easy installation.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Jeff753 03-31-2015 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr4Film (Post 2489408)
My toilet room fan will blow in either direction depending on where I have the selector switch set to.

I removed the OEM toilet fan which only ran in one direction and one speed and replaced it with the Heng Vortex II Upgrade Kit.

Excellent and easy installation.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Does it fit the fantastic vent dome?
does it move more air?

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC

Dr4Film 04-01-2015 07:18 AM

Jeff,

Yes, it fits any 14 inch by 14 inch vent opening.

I have an original Fantastic Fan in my Bathroom and now the Heng Vortex II in the toilet room to compare and I believe that they move the same amount of air at the same noise level.

My old small one speed fan in the toilet room was actually nosier especially when one of the blades would hit the screen. Plus you had this little motor and small fan blade in a huge 14 X 14 inch opening whereas the Heng Vortex has a shroud around the huge multi-bladed fan.

It was such a huge improvement in venting the toilet room that we have to clean the screen on the Heng Vortex a lot more often than the Fantastic Fan but then they are in different rooms too.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Full.Monte 04-02-2015 11:53 AM

Sometimes, the fan blade has been replaced. Sun damages them over time. When the blade is replaced, you can install it upside down. Could that be what happened?

Scarab0088 04-02-2015 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Full.Monte (Post 2492998)
Sometimes, the fan blade has been replaced. Sun damages them over time. When the blade is replaced, you can install it upside down. Could that be what happened?

Errrr, a rotating fan's blade angle does not change if just the fan blade set is flopped over...and the hub probably wouldn't fit anyway:whistling:

But a new fan blade set could have a reversed angle.

Safe travels

dennis45 04-02-2015 12:10 PM

My Fantastic bathroom fan will do the same thing so I just reach up and toggle the switch to OUT from IN. Works every time. :whistling: