iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Leave key in ign when over nighting (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/leave-key-in-ign-when-over-nighting-240918.html)

gbstewart 04-03-2015 04:27 PM

Leave key in ign when over nighting
 
just wondering what you do with your ignition key when you pull into a wall mart, truck stop, rest area etc, to spend the nite? after your all locked in for the nite do you leave it in the ignition ready to start up and make a fast get away in case danger comes lurking? We have our always ready in the ignition that way there's no fumbling around looking for it. This has happened to us in a rest where some bad looking people started coming around our bus, the motion light came on, I jumped out of bed and started up and drove off, still in my underwear thinking i'm glad I didn't have the keys in my pants pocket.
gbstewart

Raining Star 04-03-2015 04:37 PM

I keep mine in a covered cubby hole in the center console. Allows for instant access without allowing for thieves to spot them dangling in the ignition.

Czar Of Poop 04-03-2015 04:46 PM

When at Walmart or any dry camping area after locking everything up outside(storage areas) and toad, we leave the keys in the ignition and ready to go.

Old Scout 04-03-2015 04:55 PM

Starting the rig quickly might not be your only concern....you may have to bail out a side window/emergency exit at some point, with little or no notice. It might be good to keep all your MH and toad keys and other valuables like IDs, wallets, cash, etc, in a convenient and easy to reach location----just saying....

DonavonP 04-03-2015 04:58 PM

Hang the keys on the crank for the bat wing antenna. Helps remember to reel in the antenna.

FlyingDiver 04-03-2015 05:03 PM

Unless I'm parked for an extended period of time (weeks or months) I never take them out of the ignition. With the King Aire, you can't see the ignition switch from any of the windows unless you get on a ladder....

hal1phx 04-03-2015 05:20 PM

We keep ours in the drawer in the center console .... handy, yet hidden while we're out and about ....... even just overnite ........

timetogo 04-03-2015 05:48 PM

I put the car keys in my left, the .45 is in my right pocket. 50 years of parking without having to pull the car keys in a hurry.

Tytlfamily 04-03-2015 05:56 PM

Keys in the ignition....9MM on night stand....

Gordon Dewald 04-03-2015 05:56 PM

Can see no reason to leave the keys in the ignition unless it is to know where they are. I have a habit of laying things down and then having to look for them.

If you are that fearful of any parking area it would be better to go to a campground where you would be able to get a good nights sleep. Laying awake listening for strange sounds cannot be healthy or restful.

palehorse89 04-03-2015 06:02 PM

My key has never been pulled out of the ignition since we bought it in 09'........no need to, have several extra key sets given to us when we bought the Coach.

Firebug5 04-03-2015 06:03 PM

I agree with what Gordon said!

I am one of those guys that has a spot for everything, and if you always put stuff in the same place, you will never lose it. We have a key hanger above our entry door, all the keys stay there. Nobody would know if the keys were in the ignition anyway, since we always close the curtains and day/night shades before going night-night, beddy-bye.

I am not completely naive, but our guns are not in our pockets, either. Just kept in a safe place that is very quick to get too. Just never needed to get to it yet. Quick, knock on wood! :D

Bruce

Tytlfamily 04-03-2015 06:03 PM

Yes keys are there just for convenience...but this does bring up a great question of security......I have never feared being in my home, nor have I ever had a break-in. That's not to say it won't ever happen....but looking at the door on my MH...even the so called deadbolt lock...does not look very strong. I would think a crow bar to the MH door/lock would pry the door opened very quickly! Does anyone here take any other security precautions, or have any kind of after market locks that are beefed up?

Firebug5 04-03-2015 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tytlfamily (Post 2495214)
Yes keys are there just for convenience...but this does bring up a great question of security......I have never feared being in my home, nor have I ever had a break-in. That's not to say it won't ever happen....but looking at the door on my MH...even the so called deadbolt lock...does not look very strong. I would think a crow bar to the MH door/lock would pry the door opened very quickly! Does anyone here take any other security precautions, or have any kind of after market locks that are beefed up?

Besides Mr. Ruger, we have 2 alarms. Blaze and Ruby, our jack russell's! They wake up the dead when somebody comes a knocking, so prying open the moho entry door would be hard to do.

If we are away from the moho, and somebody wants to break in and take stuff, help yourself. They obviously need it more than we do. :D

Bruce

flaggship1 04-03-2015 06:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Scout (Post 2495108)
Starting the rig quickly might not be your only concern....you may have to bail out a side window/emergency exit at some point, with little or no notice. It might be good to keep all your MH and toad keys and other valuables like IDs, wallets, cash, etc, in a convenient and easy to reach location----just saying....

X2. My keys, wallet and pocket knife are in my pants pockets next to the bed. Our Emergency Exit Window is at the foot of the bed. My pants - my shirt and shoes go out the window. The comforter goes over the window frame. Annie out and me out. We have a small extinguisher in the kitchen - 1 at the front door - 1 in the bed room and a big one under the rear bath sink next to bed room.

I keep the keys in my pocket for another reason. I have been locked out in the cold before.

VSPA 04-03-2015 06:55 PM

One one nighters, the "driving" set of keys is left in the ignition to void locating keys keys in an emergency. Regular keys, wallet and transportable defense on the night stand.

GaryWT 04-03-2015 09:01 PM

We stop in campgrounds and not parking lots but it would be hard for me to get in my truck if I left the keys in it. It is also hard to lock it as well so the keys would be in the trailer.

bokobird 04-03-2015 09:25 PM

My ignition key is separate from all the other keys. I leave it in the ignition while traveling and it'd be hard for anyone to see it's even there. The only time I take it out is when the coach is parked for any long period of time and I'm not there with it.

flaggship1 04-03-2015 09:38 PM

Guess I should have mentioned that since going full time I consider my bay key - engine key - Deadbolt - door clicker, door key and toad key to be my house keys - and the keys to almost everything we own. I have a two piece key chain. The second piece is stored in a place of its own. That includes the gas cap key - engine door, generator door, fresh water lock, etc.

Mr_D 04-03-2015 11:17 PM

I leave the keys in the ignition 24/7/365. But only for the last 20 years or so.

MSHappyCampers 04-04-2015 08:57 AM

No, we don't leave the key in the ignition, but it's in a hiding place close by! :thumb::D

Tony Lee 04-04-2015 09:01 AM

Pitch dark and a vehicle next to you catches fire. Smoke alarm is blaring, dogs barking and wife screaming - or is that you screaming. What earthly use is a silly gun, or keys in pockets or in a drawer, because you won't be able to find them. Best you can hope for is to find the drivers seat and then you'll be very glad the keys are in the ignition.

And as I posted on another topic - are you absolutely positive you know which window is the escape window and where the release catch is, and most important of all, can you actually open it.

palehorse89 04-04-2015 09:06 AM

Good point Tony! Do people think, at night , key in the ignition, you sleeping in the bedroom, that someone is going to break in, start it up, pickup the jacks, retract the slides, and steal it? with you in bed?:laugh:
How about even in a campground during the day?

abarkl 04-04-2015 09:16 AM

Everything has a place and everything in its place.

HoneyBadger 04-04-2015 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Lee (Post 2496083)
Pitch dark and a vehicle next to you catches fire. Smoke alarm is blaring, dogs barking and wife screaming - or is that you screaming. What earthly use is a silly gun, or keys in pockets or in a drawer, because you won't be able to find them. Best you can hope for is to find the drivers seat and then you'll be very glad the keys are in the ignition.

And as I posted on another topic - are you absolutely positive you know which window is the escape window and where the release catch is, and most important of all, can you actually open it.

Something similar actually happened to us many years ago.

Staying one spring in a pretty campground in W. Washington right next to a river; middle of the night, someone is pounding on the side of our old Class C shouting; "The river is flooding- get the heck out of here!"

It was literally a case of falling out of the bed over the cab; hubby into the driver's seat, me outside in my nightie unplugging the electric (drenched), dogs barking their heads off. Couldn't have taken 2 minutes to get under way. I understand the flooding damaged a number of rigs there .

Being a Boy Scout is a good idea in this life.

Side note; hubby says we were in Montana, I remember it as Washington. Think we can remember where the keys are??

mccsix 04-04-2015 09:42 AM

Quick disconnect key chain, ign on one side, all other keys on the other side.

bldrbob 04-04-2015 02:22 PM

Keys in ignition but toad key is clothspinned to wheel to remind me it is connected but in park.In an emergency I know I could drag it. (Accidently tested it once)

Wizard 04-04-2015 04:44 PM

Why would you stay in places that you have to worry about things like that.

jeryan59 04-04-2015 04:56 PM

I do the same thing as Gordon, my key is not on any kind of ring and has always been in the ignition.

echo3 04-04-2015 05:01 PM

For a quick escape, the toad could be a problem. If the keys are left in it, in accessory position to keep gear in neutral, the battery would likely be discharged in am. If put in park to get key out of ignition , U have a quick escape problem! David White, 05 Monaco Windsor

Davdeb1 04-04-2015 05:22 PM

Old habit die hard, when I leave the drivers seat, keys are pulled and hooked on my belt loop?

GaryWT 04-04-2015 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bldrbob (Post 2496586)
Keys in ignition but toad key is clothspinned to wheel to remind me it is connected but in park.In an emergency I know I could drag it. (Accidently tested it once)

If your toad is connected to your unit why would it be in park? Seems like you would keep it in neutral until it was time to unhook.

FlyingDiver 04-04-2015 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryWT (Post 2496900)
If your toad is connected to your unit why would it be in park? Seems like you would keep it in neutral until it was time to unhook.

Probably so he can take the key out. Otherwise leaving the key in the ignition is an invitation for a broken window...

TVforMyRV 04-04-2015 07:03 PM

Seems like you could always come up with a situation where the keys are in the wrong place no matter where they are. I try not to worry about too much, but it is very prudent to try to think through various emergencies BEFORE you are in the middle of it.

NLOVNIT 04-04-2015 07:28 PM

Folks, no need to bring guns into this discussion so let's stop mentioning them. Be respectful to our Community Rules & the OP by sticking to discussing the original question.

Thanks,
Lori-

CampDaven 04-04-2015 08:00 PM

Leave key in ign when over nighting
 
How many have had to make a quick exit? Not me.
So what's the hubbub?
Dangerous places? Not me!
What the heck?

RKNOLA 04-04-2015 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLOVNIT (Post 2497014)
Folks, no need to bring guns into this discussion so let's stop mentioning them. Be respectful to our Community Rules & the OP by sticking to discussing the original question.

Thanks,
Lori-

The IRV2 rules state: "Discussions about current or pending legislation or regulations, weapons and religion that directly pertain to RVing are acceptable but will be closed or removed if they wander off topic or become disruptive"

People were posting about how they protect their RV's overnight AND where their keys are. I don't think anyone meant to be disrespectful to the original poster. (it DID directly pertain to RVing).

NLOVNIT 04-04-2015 08:24 PM

I disagree. Members have brought up protecting their RV's, but in the title of this discussion & the OP's 1st sentence, nowhere are they asking for input about guns.

I thank you for respecting my request to drop mentioning guns.

Lori-

CampDaven 04-04-2015 08:41 PM

In case my post just got burried, I repeat:
How many have had to make a quick exit? Not me.
So what's the hubbub?
Dangerous places? Not me!
What the heck?

flaggship1 04-04-2015 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CampDaven (Post 2497126)
In case my post just got burried, I repeat:
How many have had to make a quick exit? Not me.
So what's the hubbub?
Dangerous places? Not me!
What the heck?

Never - but in the emergency escape from a fire there would be no benefit from my key being in the ignition. And in any other circumstance, I'm putting my pants on and the keys will be in my pocket. I think I can get to them quick enough from there.

I never really considered leaving them in the ignition.

Tony Lee 04-04-2015 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flaggship1 (Post 2497155)
Never - but in the emergency escape from a fire there would be no benefit from my key being in the ignition. And in any other circumstance, I'm putting my pants on and the keys will be in my pocket. I think I can get to them quick enough from there.

I never really considered leaving them in the ignition.

I wasn't talking about escape from a fire in your own rig (except for asking if you have ever tried to open your escape window), but if the rig next door caught fire, having the keys in the ignition might make the difference in whether there is one rig burning or two.

Quote:

How many have had to make a quick exit? Not me.
So what's the hubbub?
Dangerous places? Not me!
What the heck?
No insurance then? Or seat belts or air bags either. And RVs catch fire even in the poshest 6 star resorts.

But do check your emergency exit to make sure it isn't stuck shut because of sticky seals. Four out of four I checked in four different vehicles required a lot of strength and banging to get open and I know a child or petite woman wouldn't have had a hope.

flaggship1 04-04-2015 09:56 PM

Tony - I'm putting my pants on no matter what or what's burning. :cool: Have a tire knocker in bedroom guaranteed to bust any stuck window... but ours is not stuck.
I've thought about this a lot since going full time. It was cold the night we accidently got locked out of MH. In any kind of emergency - I want my pants on. YMMV

It's not like they're hiding from me in the conservatory on the other side of the mansion. I practically fall out of bed into them.

I got a taste of this the night the transform right outside the park blew. Into my pants - looked out window - saw nothing - and out the door in no time flat. It sounded like a bomb going off. Glad I didn't knock my window out or drive away in a hurry. :rolleyes:

So OK tongue in cheek above - but really - the first thing to do in any crisis or emergency is to gather you senses - keep calm and follow the plan that fits the circumstance. Oh, and put on your pants.

GregOk80 04-04-2015 10:14 PM

I have a small tray in the dash right next to the front door. Just in case all keys are left here so everyone knows where they are. And in case of fire and you have to jump out the rear window you could in a emergency could reach them from outside knowing right where they were. Just saying.

Tytlfamily 04-04-2015 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLOVNIT (Post 2497106)
I disagree. Members have brought up protecting their RV's, but in title of this discussion & the OP's 1st sentence, nowhere are they asking for input about guns.

I thank you for respecting my request to drop mentioning guns.

Lori-

Ok, got it...thanks!

89sandman 04-05-2015 12:11 AM

Seems paranoia runs rampant in the rv community;)

Raining Star 04-05-2015 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 89sandman (Post 2497361)
Seems paranoia runs rampant in the rv community;)


Or perhaps it's the voice of experience.

Robby W. 04-05-2015 05:40 AM

Overnighting in a Wal-Mart and I heard and felt something wiggle the coach a little, it's 5:30am Saturday morning. I look out he hall window on the driver side, nothing, then I hear a noise at the front door. I look out the kitchen window and see a guy sitting in a car and another walking down the side of the coach checking basement doors. I tap on the window and yell, "back away, or I'll call 911!" Long story short, these guys scared me, we did call 911 plus drove away as fast as I could. I was talking to the policeman a mile away at McDonalds and smelled a burning rubber smell. While the policeman was talking on his radio I started looking around the back of the motorhome to see if the smell was coming form my rig. It didn't take long to find the problem, I took the keys out of the Wrangler the night before and the steering wheel must have locked on the first turn of out bug-out. Scuffed the front tires pretty good. That's my key story and haven't stayed at a Wal-Mart sense.

CampDaven 04-05-2015 06:52 AM

Leave key in ign when over nighting
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 89sandman (Post 2497361)
Seems paranoia runs rampant in the rv community;)


Certainly a few paranoid types on THIS thread! Wonder how they can sleep at all.
So, before you go to bed you bring in your sat dish, and turn the key on in the toad? In a CG do you also drop your hookups and retract the slides every night?
I don't sleep with my pants on, nor the key in the ignition.
Sleep well, my friends

CLIFFTALL 04-05-2015 07:05 AM

Lets not get into labeling each other and stick with the topic.
Thanks

flaggship1 04-05-2015 08:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the bedroom tire thumper. It's the Wilderness Series Enorsed by Dan Haggerty so ya known it will knock a window out LOL...

Bumps 04-05-2015 08:44 AM

Yep, as had been stated earlier, my keys stay with my pants. If not in my pocket, they are attached to the carabiner hooked to my belt loop. \ken

MonkeyClaw 04-06-2015 02:11 PM

Huh, never felt the need for a quick getaway. I keep the keys in the ignition so I don't lose them!

Tha_Rooster 04-06-2015 03:05 PM

Leaving in a DP in a hurry ? Not hardly

Mr_D 04-06-2015 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster (Post 2499819)
Leaving in a DP in a hurry ? Not hardly

Tried that once to appease a nasty neighbor at a FMCA rally. Forgot that the oversize tires would catch the fiberglass fender and broke it. In return for my kindness I found that someone had cut my awning strap. So I guess she was nastier than I thought. Only a $2 part but still....

Dale Pruitt 04-06-2015 05:47 PM

Been overnighten in walmart lots since 1986 never had a problem. Leave the keys in the ignition on the road and at home .[moderator edit] Don't intend to allow anyone to take advantage of us .:thumb:

1ciderdog 04-07-2015 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbstewart (Post 2495074)
just wondering what you do with your ignition key when you pull into a wall mart, truck stop, rest area etc, to spend the nite? after your all locked in for the nite do you leave it in the ignition ready to start up and make a fast get away in case danger comes lurking? We have our always ready in the ignition that way there's no fumbling around looking for it. This has happened to us in a rest where some bad looking people started coming around our bus, the motion light came on, I jumped out of bed and started up and drove off, still in my underwear thinking i'm glad I didn't have the keys in my pants pocket.
gbstewart


I rarely take the keys out of the ignition not because I want to be prepared for a fast get a way but simply because that's convenient. Unlike the younger days I don't always remember where I put something. I do take the keys out of the tow car and hang them on the steering wheel.

MotorPro 04-08-2015 05:38 AM

If I was that paranoid I wouldn't get out of bed in the morning.

ChallengerRN 04-08-2015 06:20 AM

Not sure why I would need to take keys out of ignition-- I have a double clip on my ignition key. On that I have keys that snap to the bottom clip. One key snaps off for the dead bolt for door--another snaps off for the basement doors and the third one snaps off for the gas door locks.

So I can leave all keys hooked to ignition key then snap off just the one key I need. When leaving RV I only have to carry one key that way.

The toad keys stay in ignition of the toad with the doors locked.

Russell.

mojoracing 04-08-2015 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flaggship1 (Post 2497725)
This is the bedroom tire thumper. It's the Wilderness Series Enorsed by Dan Haggerty so ya known it will knock a window out LOL...

Im offended by tire thumpers when being shown not for their original purpose, these should be labeled right along side the gun policy, no need to show intimidating weapons. :whistling:

flaggship1 04-08-2015 07:41 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojoracing (Post 2502317)
Im offended by tire thumpers when being shown not for their original purpose, these should be labeled right along side the gun policy, no need to show intimidating weapons. :whistling:

No offense intended. It is clearly marked Use only as Tire Thumper. The fact that I keep it in the bedroom does not eliminate it's intended use. But since I have TST 507s on all tires (coach and car with repeater) it doesn't get much use. It is also recommended as a fish knocker. Thought about putting it with the fishing gear and then realized it could be used to assist in getting the emergency window open if it were stuck.

Mac the Fire Guy sells the hammer - it has the single purpose but would make an intimidating weapon and one side might make a tire knocker?

The second picture is our RV Mascot Sparky. He could be used to break the window too. But he usually sits on the dash when parked looking out the picture window. He could also be weaponized I suppose.

The knocker is a tool and it's purpose in our case was stated as a tool not a weapon. As an above the knee amputee I don't have the same kicking ability others do. If that window needs help opening I have it. Again, no offense intended and it isn't a weapon in our home on wheels.

I still keep my keys in my pants pocket on the ring below. Engine key, scooter key, bay key, car key, door and deadbolt key, and motorhome door lock clicker. The other clip ring not shown has less important keys (fuel fill locks, engine compartment, generator lock, etc).

As a kid my dad taught me how to use a key as a weapon. I guess you can see weapons anywhere you look for them. Personally I don't have or carry any. Only full time for 5 months - but RVing since 1991. Keys always in pocket and never felt the need for anything else.

HD4Mark 04-08-2015 08:03 AM

We keep our keys in a drawer, not near the drivers seat only because that is where we got in the habit of putting them. It is right on the way to the drivers seat if needed fast and we both would know where they are. When parked in a CG for long periods with everything connected and jacks down they are usually on top of the dash to grab and lock up on the way out.

tooltrdr 04-09-2015 08:56 PM

key in ignition if we are in rv, key in my pocket or tray if are away from rig. 2 Glocks for my wife and I to discourage any serious troublemakers

Spinner 04-09-2015 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 89sandman (Post 2497361)
Seems paranoia runs rampant in the rv community;)


Do you buy insurance? Change the batteries in your smoke and co detectors? Do you buy tires before they blowout? You must be paranoid as well.

Mr_D 04-09-2015 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojoracing (Post 2502317)
Im offended by tire thumpers when being shown not for their original purpose, these should be labeled right along side the gun policy, no need to show intimidating weapons. :whistling:

"Intimidated" by a picture of an inanimate object?

Old Car Nut 04-10-2015 12:43 AM

To the OP, ignition key in the ignition. Why would I need to remove it? No one is going to take it with me in it and if I'm not in it I don't care. Insurance will cover the loss thats why I pay for it.

They key to surviving any emergency is situational awareness before hand. Know the risks, know the exits, know where key items are, have a plan. When the emergency happens stop and calm yourself and go with the plan you have made ahead of time for that situation. Thats not being paranoid, it being prepared and not becoming a victim.

Dangerous things of all sorts can happen anywhere at any time. Knowing what you would do in those situations is actually very comforting. I sleep quite well thank you. Unless I fall into a raging river I see no scenario I will need to be rescued.

Most of my friends are either retired police or spec op. You hang with these folks for more than 30 years being prepared for anything rubs off on you.

When things go sideways you are the first responder.

mikensallyt 04-10-2015 01:16 AM

geee..... I never thought about where to put my keys. They were always in my pocket. But like some others I forget things, like where are my keys. Pocket? Which pair of pants was I wearing, lol. Guess I have to go with placing them somewhere automatically so I can remember that. There is no simple solution, to each their own. But I do take my keys with me when I leave my mh, got to lock the doors right?

I have yet to experience some of the situations posted here though. I just hope I don't loose my keys, lol. /Mikey :whistling:

MotorPro 04-10-2015 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Car Nut (Post 2505152)
To the OP, ignition key in the ignition. Why would I need to remove it? No one is going to take it with me in it and if I'm not in it I don't care. Insurance will cover the loss thats why I pay for it.



They key to surviving any emergency is situational awareness before hand. Know the risks, know the exits, know where key items are, have a plan. When the emergency happens stop and calm yourself and go with the plan you have made ahead of time for that situation. Thats not being paranoid, it being prepared and not becoming a victim.



Dangerous things of all sorts can happen anywhere at any time. Knowing what you would do in those situations is actually very comforting. I sleep quite well thank you. Unless I fall into a raging river I see no scenario I will need to be rescued.



Most of my friends are either retired police or spec op. You hang with these folks for more than 30 years being prepared for anything rubs off on you.



When things go sideways you are the first responder.


Better check your insurance. Many have provision that they will not pay if keys are in ignition. Had a friend who's car was stolen from his yard. The thief rolled the car in the middle of the road. When the police found it the keys were in a the ignition. Insurance wouldn't pay. He took them to court and lost!

Gordon Dewald 04-10-2015 08:52 AM

Yup - neighbour is an isurance lawyer. Says they can tell from the computer whether the vehicle was started with a key or hot wired. Told us a story about a fellow giving his car to a couple fellows to dispose of so he could claim insurance. Insurance denied and fellow is up on charges for fraud.

Old Car Nut 04-10-2015 09:54 AM

Good points indeed. I'm sure my insurance is no different. Might have to rethink that habit of leaving the key in it when away. But I stand by the rest of it.

TVforMyRV 04-10-2015 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald (Post 2505473)
Yup - neighbour is an isurance lawyer. Says they can tell from the computer whether the vehicle was started with a key or hot wired. Told us a story about a fellow giving his car to a couple fellows to dispose of so he could claim insurance. Insurance denied and fellow is up on charges for fraud.

As an agent and broker, I've read a lot more insurance language than I even like. I've never seen mention of "keys" in any standard consumer oriented policy. Perhaps in a custom commercial type policy, the insurance company could use a manuscript endorsement to put such a stipulation for a unique hazard, but that's not even a one in a million chance.

Fraud, and forgetfully leaving your keys in the ignition are two totally different things. It's a great thing for us that insurance policies don't exclude "stupid"!

vincee 04-10-2015 12:13 PM

Gee guys, after reading through 70 posts, 5 pages, you stole my thunder about the insurance industry view on keys in the ignition. Oh well! Anyways, when DW and I are just overnighting at a rest stop or cg, never have done Wal-Mart, I always leave the key in the ignition. While the rig is home keys are always in the house in our key basket. Set up at a camp site we either have them hanging on a key hook hard to see inside the door or a key basket where we always have the toad keys above the passenger seat. RV'ing I like to be a creature of habit that I learned in my boating days because if you forget something out in the middle of Lake Erie you are up the creek, not lake.

jeryan59 04-10-2015 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TVforMyRV (Post 2505576)
As an agent and broker, I've read a lot more insurance language than I even like. I've never seen mention of "keys" in any standard consumer oriented policy. Perhaps in a custom commercial type policy, the insurance company could use a manuscript endorsement to put such a stipulation for a unique hazard, but that's not even a one in a million chance.

Fraud, and forgetfully leaving your keys in the ignition are two totally different things. It's a great thing for us that insurance policies don't exclude "stupid"!

I likewise sell Commercial and Personal lines insurance, I have never seen an exclusion for keys in the ignition. Apparently someone knows something I have missed in my 33 year career?


I can tell you many factual circumstances of vehicles, including a recent tractor trailer stolen while making a delivery with the driver in the trailer attempting to make a delivery. Fortunately the employed driver wasn't injured during the ride with the unauthorized driver!

As a sidenote, I don't leave my key in the ignition out of paranoia, it is so I don't lose the key.

Funhaus 04-10-2015 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeryan59 (Post 2505757)
I likewise sell Commercial and Personal lines insurance, I have never seen an exclusion for keys in the ignition. Apparently someone knows something I have missed in my 33 year career?


I can tell you many factual circumstances of vehicles, including a recent tractor trailer stolen while making a delivery with the driver in the trailer attempting to make a delivery. Fortunately the employed driver wasn't injured during the ride with the unauthorized driver!

As a sidenote, I don't leave my key in the ignition out of paranoia, it is so I don't lose the key.

Thank you. I've asked my insurance man this question before, he said same thing, show me where it says that in the policy.
I chalk it up to internet legend, or the I have a friend who had a friend that had or happen to them.

vincee 04-11-2015 09:41 AM

My input regarding insurance reg's was from work. We have company cars that we use on grounds and at one time the keys were just left in the ignition. A few years back that changed to putting the keys up on the visor. We were told that should a car be stolen with the keys in the ignition our insurance would not cover the loss.

Lobstah 04-12-2015 06:27 AM

I can see a situation where a company might tell it's employees that.
Figure you have 20 cars. One gets stolen. As a business, your commercial insurance rates go up due to the claim. Said insurance company says if you have ANOTHER claim, your rates will go up again, and/or you may get dropped. So owner of the company says Hey...the LEAST we can do is take the keys out of the ignition...so that establish that policy and blame it on the insurance company.
And...all that is fine, BUT...
If your car is parked in the driveway, key in the ignition and running, with the doors wide open, and someone jumps in and steals your car...THEY STOLE YOUR PROPERTY. THAT'S ILLEGAL.
So if your car gets hijacked?...insurance doesn't pay?...because the key was in the ignition?
Not happening.

Triker56 04-12-2015 07:02 AM

Keys have been in the ignition 24/7 since bought in 2002.
Use another set for outside compartments and fuel door.

If I overnight at any place other then a campground. Steps are locked in and it would take probably a 7' plus person to see in the window for the keys in ignition.
And then much longer to get the dead bolt unlocked or break a window while I am inside with protection.

Dr4Film 04-12-2015 07:03 AM

The coach keys (which is R HOME) are always in the ignition. The only other two keys on the ring are for the front door and deadbolt.

I have a set of extra door keys hidden that can be accessed from outside if needed. I have an extra ignition key located in the bedroom cabinet if needed.

When towing my car only and not my rolling garage, I have a single ignition key which stays in the ignition UNTIL I unhook the car from the tow bar. If someone attempted to steal the car they would first have to remove two LOCKING pins from the tow bar and THEN remove the pins which can be a feat in itself since if the car is not level then most of the time the pins will not come out easily. Next, they would have to locate my hidden ignition disable switch which is required on this Saturn Vue to eliminate running the battery down. Plus when I lock the car just before taking off I use the security key fob to lock all of the doors. Then if a window were to be broken and the car entered through any door regardless of what the intruder intended to do the Saturn security system prevents the engine from starting through an engine disabling feature.

After reading through this entire thread I think there is WAY too much paranoia here but hey, to each their own! It's your coach and your property you can do as you please.

It would be a very boring world if we were all clones, Eh!

Dr4Film ----- Richard

jason1029 04-23-2015 07:40 PM

Our key is on the same ring as the rest of the keys for the rig so they are out of the ignition and hanging on a hook next to the paper towels.. Easy to grab when going by and if we need them in a hurry.

SteveLevin 04-23-2015 08:07 PM

We keep our keys on a loop that has a carabiner on the other end and generally snap the carabiner to the handle of the drawer over the door, that way we can keep track of them.

If get somewhere that seems to be sketchy, unless we are broken, we just keep on going.

Steve

jeryan59 04-29-2015 07:59 AM

I'm not advocating leaving your keys in the ignition, but the National Insurance Bureau data is stunning.


Guess Who's Making It Easier For Car Thieves — You - NBC News

ArmandV 04-29-2015 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tytlfamily (Post 2495199)
Keys in the ignition....9MM on night stand....

Ditto here!:thumb:

Fl_Richard 04-30-2015 04:35 PM

X2 :) ^^^^ Only a 45 ;)

Gordon Dewald 04-30-2015 04:40 PM

LOL - I just can't get the picture out of my mind of a LeMans start. With the MH driver making a mad dash to the drivers seat, gun tucked in shorts waistband and leaping into the seat. Posing perhaps for a photo op posed with hand on hip and gun.

While the situation has a possibility of occuring IMO the situations where you have to make a fast getaway from a life threatening situation will be miniscule.

Are you taking in your slides before you leave or do you pull them in prior to settling down for the night?

I am sorry - I just cannot get the picture out of my mind!

flaggship1 04-30-2015 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald (Post 2536087)
LOL - I just can't get the picture out of my mind of a LeMans start. With the MH driver making a mad dash to the drivers seat, gun tucked in shorts waistband and leaping into the seat. Posing perhaps for a photo op posed with hand on hip and gun.

While the situation has a possibility of occuring IMO the situations where you have to make a fast getaway from a life threatening situation will be miniscule.

Are you taking in your slides before you leave or do you pull them in prior to settling down for the night?

I am sorry - I just cannot get the picture out of my mind!

Jacks down - slides out - locked and ready to roll. :p

ChallengerRN 04-30-2015 07:16 PM

Haven't camped in the path of a volcano yet. Never in a raging flood plane --I haven't figured why I need to leave in a hurry either But I do leave the keys in the ignition ??

Russell

Fl_Richard 05-01-2015 02:10 PM

I dont leave the keys in the ignition for a quick getaway.

I leave them there because I know exactly where to find them and I'm secure enough in my surroundings to not have to worry about the MH disappearing while I'm walking the dogs...

Now if it's rolling and I pull into a store I remove the keys form the MH. Because the door lock key is on the same keyring. In a parking lot I'm not secure enough in my surroundings to leave the keys in the ignition and walk away...

The gun is just a given. I've had one in arms reach for 30 years. Kinda like my wedding band :) I dont really see what the big deal is about people who carry. Were not paranoid were prepared. I was a boy scout too. And never have had a "bad guy" jump out at me. I shot a rabid raccoon once....


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.