iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Leave key in ign when over nighting (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/leave-key-in-ign-when-over-nighting-240918.html)

jeryan59 04-04-2015 04:56 PM

I do the same thing as Gordon, my key is not on any kind of ring and has always been in the ignition.

echo3 04-04-2015 05:01 PM

For a quick escape, the toad could be a problem. If the keys are left in it, in accessory position to keep gear in neutral, the battery would likely be discharged in am. If put in park to get key out of ignition , U have a quick escape problem! David White, 05 Monaco Windsor

Davdeb1 04-04-2015 05:22 PM

Old habit die hard, when I leave the drivers seat, keys are pulled and hooked on my belt loop?

GaryWT 04-04-2015 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bldrbob (Post 2496586)
Keys in ignition but toad key is clothspinned to wheel to remind me it is connected but in park.In an emergency I know I could drag it. (Accidently tested it once)

If your toad is connected to your unit why would it be in park? Seems like you would keep it in neutral until it was time to unhook.

FlyingDiver 04-04-2015 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryWT (Post 2496900)
If your toad is connected to your unit why would it be in park? Seems like you would keep it in neutral until it was time to unhook.

Probably so he can take the key out. Otherwise leaving the key in the ignition is an invitation for a broken window...

TVforMyRV 04-04-2015 07:03 PM

Seems like you could always come up with a situation where the keys are in the wrong place no matter where they are. I try not to worry about too much, but it is very prudent to try to think through various emergencies BEFORE you are in the middle of it.

NLOVNIT 04-04-2015 07:28 PM

Folks, no need to bring guns into this discussion so let's stop mentioning them. Be respectful to our Community Rules & the OP by sticking to discussing the original question.

Thanks,
Lori-

CampDaven 04-04-2015 08:00 PM

Leave key in ign when over nighting

How many have had to make a quick exit? Not me.
So what's the hubbub?
Dangerous places? Not me!
What the heck?

RKNOLA 04-04-2015 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLOVNIT (Post 2497014)
Folks, no need to bring guns into this discussion so let's stop mentioning them. Be respectful to our Community Rules & the OP by sticking to discussing the original question.

Thanks,
Lori-

The IRV2 rules state: "Discussions about current or pending legislation or regulations, weapons and religion that directly pertain to RVing are acceptable but will be closed or removed if they wander off topic or become disruptive"

People were posting about how they protect their RV's overnight AND where their keys are. I don't think anyone meant to be disrespectful to the original poster. (it DID directly pertain to RVing).

NLOVNIT 04-04-2015 08:24 PM

I disagree. Members have brought up protecting their RV's, but in the title of this discussion & the OP's 1st sentence, nowhere are they asking for input about guns.

I thank you for respecting my request to drop mentioning guns.

Lori-

CampDaven 04-04-2015 08:41 PM

In case my post just got burried, I repeat:
So what's the hubbub?
What the heck?

flaggship1 04-04-2015 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CampDaven (Post 2497126)
In case my post just got burried, I repeat:
So what's the hubbub?
What the heck?

Never - but in the emergency escape from a fire there would be no benefit from my key being in the ignition. And in any other circumstance, I'm putting my pants on and the keys will be in my pocket. I think I can get to them quick enough from there.

I never really considered leaving them in the ignition.

Tony Lee 04-04-2015 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flaggship1 (Post 2497155)
Never - but in the emergency escape from a fire there would be no benefit from my key being in the ignition. And in any other circumstance, I'm putting my pants on and the keys will be in my pocket. I think I can get to them quick enough from there.

I never really considered leaving them in the ignition.

I wasn't talking about escape from a fire in your own rig (except for asking if you have ever tried to open your escape window), but if the rig next door caught fire, having the keys in the ignition might make the difference in whether there is one rig burning or two.

Quote:

So what's the hubbub?
What the heck?
No insurance then? Or seat belts or air bags either. And RVs catch fire even in the poshest 6 star resorts.

But do check your emergency exit to make sure it isn't stuck shut because of sticky seals. Four out of four I checked in four different vehicles required a lot of strength and banging to get open and I know a child or petite woman wouldn't have had a hope.

flaggship1 04-04-2015 09:56 PM

Tony - I'm putting my pants on no matter what or what's burning. :cool: Have a tire knocker in bedroom guaranteed to bust any stuck window... but ours is not stuck.
I've thought about this a lot since going full time. It was cold the night we accidently got locked out of MH. In any kind of emergency - I want my pants on. YMMV

It's not like they're hiding from me in the conservatory on the other side of the mansion. I practically fall out of bed into them.

I got a taste of this the night the transform right outside the park blew. Into my pants - looked out window - saw nothing - and out the door in no time flat. It sounded like a bomb going off. Glad I didn't knock my window out or drive away in a hurry. :rolleyes:

So OK tongue in cheek above - but really - the first thing to do in any crisis or emergency is to gather you senses - keep calm and follow the plan that fits the circumstance. Oh, and put on your pants.